• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: wireless external hard drive for android tablets

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times

Re: wireless external hard drive for android tablets

The WiFi may be overkill, when a portable USB HD can be plugged in.
    SteveCampsOut likes this.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    166 times

Quote Originally Posted by mcarver2000 View Post
    The WiFi may be overkill, when a portable USB HD can be plugged in.
    Yes but think of the investment and the future. How many devices actually have a USB and how long will he have the thrive. Also there may be an ipad or other device in the house that could share the HD. I know we all love our USB but how long will it be around.

Life is better with root and our brilliant Devs
    jorge505 likes this.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Yes but think of the investment and the future. How many devices actually have a USB and how long will he have the thrive. Also there may be an ipad or other device in the house that could share the HD. I know we all love our USB but how long will it be around.

Also the impact of powering a mechanical drive, they pull a lot more amps then any flash medium and would certainly pull more then WiFi. The WiFi hdd would also need a power source of some sort also, but may be more compatible with more devices for longer, its hard to say.

Buying big SD cards may work for the thrive, but how many future tablets will have full size SD card slots? Even micro SD slots?

I'm not expecting to see a reasonably priced tablet with 128gb for quite awhile yet.

As always its what any given user needs or can use, though I think the WiFi HDD leaves more for expansion its powering may not work well on the move, such as flights. A USB HDD may work for flights but eats battery, enough so that is say it'll offset storage with decreased tablet usage ( not counting swappi g batteries ofc). So flash medium would be superior for this those sorts of things, but in a car any hdd may work as the car can give them both power so that isn't such a concern.

Ssd in a USB enclosure would be a good choice power and storage wise, but again 128gb ssd vs 128gb sdcard price wise is no competition.

A WiFi HDD certainly has a place, just not for every user. I'll stick with flash mediums for now as I rarely need more then 16gb at a time anyways, and all 3 of my devices can use SD cards (thrive internally phone and n7 via otg sadly). I'm certainly glad to have been made aware these exist though, its added to my list lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    166 times

I've seen 128gb ssds at microcenter for 69 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by pio_masaki View Post
    Also the impact of powering a mechanical drive, they pull a lot more amps then any flash medium and would certainly pull more then WiFi. The WiFi hdd would also need a power source of some sort also, but may be more compatible with more devices for longer, its hard to say.

Buying big SD cards may work for the thrive, but how many future tablets will have full size SD card slots? Even micro SD slots?

I'm not expecting to see a reasonably priced tablet with 128gb for quite awhile yet.

As always its what any given user needs or can use, though I think the WiFi HDD leaves more for expansion its powering may not work well on the move, such as flights. A USB HDD may work for flights but eats battery, enough so that is say it'll offset storage with decreased tablet usage ( not counting swappi g batteries ofc). So flash medium would be superior for this those sorts of things, but in a car any hdd may work as the car can give them both power so that isn't such a concern.

Ssd in a USB enclosure would be a good choice power and storage wise, but again 128gb ssd vs 128gb sdcard price wise is no competition.

A WiFi HDD certainly has a place, just not for every user. I'll stick with flash mediums for now as I rarely need more then 16gb at a time anyways, and all 3 of my devices can use SD cards (thrive internally phone and n7 via otg sadly). I'm certainly glad to have been made aware these exist though, its added to my list lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I've seen 128gb ssds at microcenter for 69 bucks.

Sweet, but how long do you think they'll last? Experience (for me) is cheap ssd = broken sectors and corruption. Shouldn't be to big an issue on a non system drive though...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Walking_Corpse likes this.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The hard drive you're referring to is the GoFlex by Seagate. It runs via wi-fi and has it's own battery that runs for hours. Seems like a great idea and I am trying to get my hands on one (I know "people" at Seagate that may have one laying around) Seems like a great idea. The one thing I would be concerned about is the transfer speed, especially on large files. I heard that they were working on a model that worked via Bluetooth instead of Wi-Fi, and am unsure if that is still an option for them.

Seagate Satellite Wireless | Seagate

I have an old 2.5"hd from my notebook in a ext case that runs off the USB port---works great and is powered off the tablet so I can transfer files where I am. I have a 64gb card and 320gb of "stuff" on the hd that I carry with me where ever I go.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    166 times

When I'm home I just use ghost commander to connected to the 2tb HD on my media PC. It works great I stream videos from it to my TV through the thrive all the time.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I have one of these Kingston Wi-Drive 32 GB,External (WID/32GBZ) (SSD) Solid State Drive from ebay and it works good with the thrive. You can use with usb or wireless.

also works with my nexus7 ok

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads