• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Bluetooth Speaker

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Bluetooth Speaker

Will the Veho M4 bluetooth speaker work wirelessly with my Toshiba Thrive?
    Veho Website - Product Detail

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times

Re: Bluetooth Speaker

No idea on that one specifically, but I've used both Logitech and RazorFish BT speakers with no issues.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Twitter
    SteveJax
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    No idea on that one specifically, but I've used both Logitech and RazorFish BT speakers with no issues.
    Yeah I bought those RazorFish speakers when they were on sale for $5! I love em'! So much better than the tablet's built in speakers! I don't see why any BT speakers wouldn't work.
    Tablet: Toshiba Thrive AT100 10.1 32gb
    ROM: DaleNet Deodexed ICS ROM
    Firmware: 4.0.4
    Kernel: 2.6.39.4-g2388484 android-toshiba@tesibuild7 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 23 11:22:12 IST 2012
    Build Number: IMM76D.01.00072314

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    The specs say Bluetooth support has A2DP/AVRCP. I believe you need the A2DP support for the Thrive so my guess is yes it should work fine, but haven't tried them personally.

Is the Razorfish speakers anything like the Rocketfish speakers that were $5?
    Thrive 16gb rooted with CM10. U5

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Twitter
    SteveJax
    Quote Originally Posted by Alongshot View Post
    The specs say Bluetooth support has A2DP/AVRCP. I believe you need the A2DP support for the Thrive so my guess is yes it should work fine, but haven't tried them personally.

Is the Razorfish speakers anything like the Rocketfish speakers that were $5?
    LOL! Well mine are the Rocketfish. I was just going by Danvee calling them Razrfish. LOL!
    Tablet: Toshiba Thrive AT100 10.1 32gb
    ROM: DaleNet Deodexed ICS ROM
    Firmware: 4.0.4
    Kernel: 2.6.39.4-g2388484 android-toshiba@tesibuild7 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 23 11:22:12 IST 2012
    Build Number: IMM76D.01.00072314

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times

Re: Bluetooth Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCampsOut View Post
    LOL! Well mine are the Rocketfish. I was just going by Danvee calling them Razrfish. LOL!
    Yep, RocketFish they are.
    I've been working on a Droid Razr M all day -stuck in my mind.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you, Alongshot. I got the Veho speaker through a groupon for just $30!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Bluetooth Speakers

Since I started lurking here a year ago, I've followed a thread or two about speakers, but they haven't seemed to reach conclusive resolution.

I'm now armed with a recently-received newegg gift card ($50) and a desire to put my Thrive to even better use than I did last year (when it was woefully worthless anytime I wanted to take it out on the patio and listen to MLB At-Bat or Pandora).... so I'm in the market for a decent bluetooth speaker.

My two wants: loudness and true portability/wirelessness (i.e. bluetooth and a rechargable internal battery, or -- at worst -- standard batteries; NO CORDS!). I realize these are things that are at odds with each other, but I temper that by lowering my standards for "loudness." I like my music, and I like it loud, but for that, I have an entire room of the house dedicated to my CDs, vinyl, guitars, amps, and various other full-loudness playback mechanisms. Still, I'd like something loud enough to fill a small room or be taken outside, and still be audible from 20 feet away in a manner that does not make me think of an AM transistor radio (like Thrives internal speakers do).

A cursory check of newegg has led me to three items:

GoGroove SonaWave3 ($40) --- Newegg.com - Accessory Power GOgroove Sonawave3 Portable Stereo Speaker System for Apple iPhone 4 & 4S / Motorola RAZR MAXX / Samsung Galaxy S III, Nexus, Note / HTC One, EVO / LG Optimus 4X and More Smartphones
    Spracht Aura BluNote ($50) --- Newegg.com - Spracht Aura BluNote Portable Wireless Speaker System with Bluetooth A2DP Stream Music Wirelessly (WS-4010)
    Syba ConnectLand ($40) --- Newegg.com - SYBA Connectland CL-SPK23022 2x3W RMS Bluetooth V2.1+EDR Wireless Stereo Speaker in Red, Powered by Batteries or AC Ad

Also under consideration, but not available at newegg (which is sort of annoying, but I'm sure I could spring for the $50 out of my own pocket and buy something else from newegg) is the Satechi ST-69, which is available at amazon and got a very favorable review here: Satechi ST-69BTS Audio Cube Review | Bluetooth Speaker Reviews

My question to y'all: do you have any experience with these particular items? Do you have any wisdom about this particular genre? Given my basic explanation of my needs, can you help me choose wisely? FYI: These are the four models I found that seem to review fairly well and represent a decent value, but by no means I'm a strictly bound to them! Nor to the $50 price limit.... I'm not gonna waste my money on some $200 Bose nonsense, but if someone has had a good experience with something that'd cost me an extra $20 or so, I'm all ears. [For instance: is the Creative D100 anything?]

Thanks in advance for any help. And you have my word that whatever I end up buying, I'll gladly pass along a review and any helpful guidance of my own once I've tested the thing.....

Rick

Last edited by OORick; 01-05-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Well here is my two bits. i have tried the jambox (small one) and it works well pairs easily. but I wanted bigger better sound than the small devices could provide. So I wasted some money on some Bose nonsense (little jokin here) and I Im glad i did. Great battery life and really good sound (excellent bass) when I travel a bit on the heavy side but stands up nice and doesnt move around like the smaller ones tend to do so check that out (moving around on bass loaded tunes) before you make your choice. But if cost is a concern the jambox is a great alternative AND will also provide conference phone functionality which the bose lacks. so i would recommend adding one of the jamboxes to your consideration list.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    FWIW, the reason I turned the phrase "Bose nonsense" is not a slight on their product or the folks who buy them. They wouldn't be in business if they were making nonsense.

That was more towards the point of my own usage scenario, and how I am most definitely in the market for an "accessory," and not in the market for something that is A Thing, in and of itself. An accessory does not cost as much as the thing it's accessorizing, which is why I was keen on the $50 price point. Trust me, it'd be different if I needed a speaker that would be A Thing, and that I'd use a whole lot, and in a whole lot of different ways, but that's just not where I'm at. I have 3TB of media on an HTPC in my family room hooked up to great speakers that fill up the whole downstairs, if necessary. I have a whole room upstairs for guitars/amps and all my "hard copy" music (including vinyl -- because I am a wanker that way -- and cassettes from my days of trading for bootlegs). I have ear plugs for my phone. I have plenty of decibels in my truck. I just need to fill this one void to accessorize my Thrive with the one thing it doesn't have: non-crappy speakers. I won't use them for anything else; at least, not that I can think of at this point.

Ergo: it literally makes "no sense" for me to be in the market for a $200 item, no matter how objectively good it is.

I've dismissed, out of hand, all the tiny little palm-sized speakers at the $15-20 price point, too. I've been able to see/hear them, and even if I hadn't, I'd suspect they were worthless, if for no other reason than they are, by definition, mono. But I am not thinking in terms of a $100 item, either. That's why I mentioned the handful of items I did: they seem to be the best of that price point, if you believe the reviews. [Note: some of the GoGroove and Veho items out there, which have many reviews on Amazon, give me the impression that said reviews were paid for, if you catch my drift, which is why I definitely wanted to get some outside opinions.] BestBuy doesn't seem to stock much of anything outside the major brands, so it's hard to personally test out most of these brands. [I got to hear the Creative D-80 in person, and it was OK, but has to be plugged into the wall, so it was out of consideration for me.]

Since my usage scenario is so specific, I know I'm probably focusing too much on finding a good value, but that's just my mindset: I want a speaker that's just an accessory to something else, not a thing in and of itself. I remain open to any and all additional help/guidance....

Rick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads