• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Bluetooth Speaker

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've been keeping my eye out for that deal to return. The fact that it's back and $20 cheaper makes me very happy. Thanks for the heads-up.

While waiting, I dug up whatever scarce reviews I could, and they seemed very positive (comparing it favorably to the small jambox):

http://www.techhive.com/article/2013...QucIpLqqazx5VA

Westinghouse Unplug Bluetooth Speaker Hands On Review - YouTube

Even though tigerdirect just started offering the Creative D100 for $49 ($55 after shipping), I just couldn't quite pull the trigger, as it seems just a little bigger than what I think of as truly "portable." It probably kicks butt in terms of loudness, but 16 inches wide (not to mention the cost of batteries) didn't quite scratch my particular itch.

For five bucks more, I'm glad I waited for another shot at the Westinghouse, what with its positive reviews, more manageable size, and rechargeable lithium ion battery. If anyone's interested, I'll be happy to report back with my own throughts/results once it arrives. Which -- knowing 1saleaday -- should be sometime in mid-April....

Rick
    Last edited by rosalie; 02-10-2013 at 11:49 AM.

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I bought a JBL Bluetooth speaker that works great with my phone but won't pair to my Thrive? Any ideas..

Thanks,
    Jim

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Rick, I'm sure you'll get it before April. Let us know about the Westinghouse, I waited too long and didn't get it yet. I'm sure it will be back on 1SAD.

Andy

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Bluetooth Speakers

I have the Supertooth, and agree whole heartedly with the other reveiwers they are really good. It has the rechargeable battery pack built in and no problem pairing with any bluetooth device.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Re: Bluetooth Speakers

How are you getting them to pair up? I have a JBL Bluetooth speaker that worked fine with my phone but the Thrive can't find it......Any ideas?

Thanks, Jim

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times

Re: Bluetooth Speakers

Duplicate thread closed.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Bluetooth Speakers, part 2

If anyone had been following the previous thread about bluetooth speakers (which has been locked), I thought I would add this. The Westinghouse "Unplug" speaker I had mentioned is on 1SaleADay again, this time 49.99 ppd, with travel pouch and cables. Today only: Main Daily Deal, 1 Sale A Day

Here is a review: Westinghouse Unplug Bluetooth Speaker Hands On Review - YouTube

Andy (ordering it this time!)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm the guy who went ahead and ordered this the last time around (at $59.99, I'm such a sucker). I meant to post a review, but the old thread was locked for some reason, and I just never got around to feeling like starting a new thread.

If anyone's on the fence on ordering this in the 4 hours remaining, I'd suggest you go ahead and do it. Unless you're positive you can wait another month and save another $10.

I'm very satisfied with the product; I know I made a trade off in terms of volume and sound quality to get the true portability (versus the Creative D-100), but this sucker is still as loud and clear as the small jambox if you set it up right. For me, the sweet spot involves cranking the speaker itself to its max volume, and then using the Volume+ app to create a custom profile for your bluetooth output. Then you just use the Thrive's volume setting to suit your needs. My set-up used the "Rock" setting to start, and then a few tweaks... you might be under-whelmed if you go with "stock" output (then again, for $50, you might think you're getting what you paid for), but I assure you, the Westinghouse combined with Volume+ (or equivalent) will get you where you want to go.

I rarely need to go past 60% volume on my tablet or phone to get good, room-filling sound. But it's nice to know there's a little bit extra if I need it for particular albums (or MLB At Bat, which is just criminally under-amplified), or if I want to do more than just fill a room. The bass is, of course, less than impressive, and you will get distorition if you go to max on both the speaker and your Thrive, but the Unplug 100 still gets mighty loud if you want it to.

The only caveat I'd add is that -- with my usage scenario -- I've not gotten close to the 10 hours of battery life. I get about 7-8 hours before the red light starts flashing. I can't peg that on Westinghouse, since I'm sure that's what you get at middling volume levels, and I've got the speaker always pegged at max... but I thought I'd mention it. Everything else (charge time, physical appearance, ease of pairing, and accessories included) are all absolutely as advertised.

I can't justify buying myself an extra just yet, but I assure you that if this deal comes back around in another month, and they chop another $10 off, I'll be all over it. Even at $50, I'd give this a strong recommendation as an ideal intersection of sound quality, portability, and value....

Rick
    Last edited by OORick; 03-16-2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: To mention battery life issue
    rosalie likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    All 3 threads have been merged and this topic has been Sticky'd for now. Care should be taken to post reviews/discussions in this thread and try to post sales separately in the Deals forum. Not all deals are visible quickly enough when buried in discussion threads because some people focus on the Deals forum and read other threads more leisurely.
    danvee and rosalie like this.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Ads