• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Android set top boxes

Does anyone have one or experence with one? As I understand them, you hook up to your tv and the box connects wirelessly with your Android device. Is this a correct assumption? Pictures I've seen show an sd card slot. Would it play videos off the card? Any general info would be helpful. Hate to pay $100 or so for something that won't work with my Thrive. Thanks

2. Ads

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Hey,

I'm not 100% sure but I think that the box and the thrive are separate, they don't interface with the Thrive. But you can control the box using an app on your thrive. I find that a roku box is better as it does everything that you would use a set top box for. I hear that gaming and video playback can be choppy at times. A roku box is flawless and you can even play angry birds on the thing. My set up at home is a NAS server and a media player set top box just for movies, photos and music. Was considering a roku box or an android box but it doesn't have composite audio or video out and I don't have any equipment with optical audio in. I'm happy with my outdated Brite View and my LaCie NAS.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Cheers Zires

Have owned many PDA's and Device from Palm Pilot to Android to Apple. Currently have an Opitimus V, Toshiba Thrive, and an iPad (3rd generation).

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    I don't use it.
    I think you're referring to actual android devices that connect to the TV and not to the Thrive. Raspberry pi is one of the more common ones, although it's more for DIYers as it's essentially a board and doesn't come in a case. I've heard good and bad with them, mostly regarding their use as HTPCs using XBMC. In time, I think this will be the way to go, but right now the hardware is inferior to more traditional options such as PCs, Macs, and such. If you're interested in using the Thrive with a TV, all it takes is a HDMI cable. There are quite a few options for streaming content from a home server as well.
    Check out my custom ROM: Favum ICS Version 2.0
    If you're feeling generous, I'm taking
    donations.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    I just use a good old fashion pentium 4 desktop PC..... just the tower sits hidden underneath my vizio in the TV cabinet.... and I use a desktop PC remote app on the thrive to wirelessly control the mouse and as a keyboard.... works great....its a dell optiplex gx260 I picked up off of craigslist for $30....does Netflix, hulu plus and all my downloaded movies wonderfully....as far as I know, about the cheapest way to go.... I even recently bought a TV tuner card so I can record shows off of my local digital channels....the whole setup is mostly for my son and cartoons though

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Thanks to all

Thanks to all who answered. Think I'll just keep it simple, use the HDMI cable. Your info has been a big help!

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    There are mini PC with android 4.0 or 4.1. If still interested just Google it.

sent from SPB shell 3D ICS Rom Darkside v2
    Last edited by ponghclub; 10-12-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I have a Roku 2 XD. There are android aps for it that work from my thrive. One is the roku app(free) that allows me to use my thrive to remotely control the Roku. A new app is Play To Lite (free) that allows me to stream from my thrive my own media collection - music and videos on my thrive or on my pc - or from the channels on Play To which has a whole lot of channels. You start them playing on the thrive, then push the play to icon and they are streaming on your tv through the roku.

Remove Ads

Ads