• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree17Likes
  • 7 Post By tz1
  • 8 Post By rosalie
  • 1 Post By kenneth
  • 1 Post By tz1

Thread: $3 permanent land/port stand.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times

$3 permanent land/port stand.

Walgreen's had a $3 oak 5x7 picture frame. With one of those stands for landscape or portrait. That back bit with a little shoe-goo...

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

(the forum software apparently can't easily embed or retrieve Picasa pictures).

I will probably rubberize a few things before I'm done but it basically works.
    Is your iPad battery low? Here, just plug it into my Thrive...

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Now that's a great idea! I've wanted to make something like a kickstand for my BobjGear case that I could leave attached, but without having to permanently alter the case, and that wouldn't be in the way when not being used. You're photo gave me an idea.

I grabbed one of those cardboard kickstands off the back of a picture frame and cut slits top and bottom to create flaps that slide into the two slits in the back of the Bobj case. Could be used in portrait or landscape, as you said. Only thing is, the one I have is made of flimsy cardboard, LOL so it wouldn't be strong enough, but another material might work.

Here's photos. Sorry, don't have time to be fancy and put them together or write subtitles, but you get the idea. Let us know how yours works out with the permanent fixing to the back cover. Thanks again for the inspiration!
    http://db.tt/VsdkagNr
    http://db.tt/Tpc0ehL4
    Last edited by rosalie; 06-23-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    ttmoo, Sandi, Carib and 5 others like this.
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    147 times
    Nice work, people! I am interested to know how well yours holds up, tz1. rosalie, good thinking on your part to incorporate the bobjgear case!
    Ahhh...I have joined the ROOTED side of the Force...

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    Hey there's an idea. Just attach the stand part to an extra back.

life is better with root.
    Carib likes this.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    The Wallgreen's is some kind of pressboard instead of strong cardboard. I've lots of extra backs. The only thing is you need to wait for the glue to dry (and it has to be good glue). One of the nice things about replaceable backs.
    Last edited by tz1; 06-23-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    rosalie likes this.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Hey there's an idea. Just attach the stand part to an extra back.

life is better with root.
    The hinge part uses some kind of special fastener or something and the hinge movement is limited making it hard to remove without damaging. I might pick up a second frame and try a few things.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    So far the only problem is the "necktie" part sticks out so it will rock if flat on the table. If it was a cut-out so folded so it (and its hinge) was flush and maybe latch or otherwise stick flat when I didn't pull it out, it would be perfect.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
    So far the only problem is the "necktie" part sticks out so it will rock if flat on the table. If it was a cut-out so folded so it (and its hinge) was flush and maybe latch or otherwise stick flat when I didn't pull it out, it would be perfect.
    The one I rigged up doesn't rock very much when laid flat on a table, probably because if you notice, the back of the BobjGear case has 4 "nubs" or "feet" that raise the back slightly to somewhat compensate for the hinge and "necktie" piece sticking out.
    Wondering if you could add 4 similar feet onto your backcover, or else maybe file down the ridges of the backcover where the stand will lay over, filing a little more deeply into the area where the necktie would lay. Does any of that make sense? LOL
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    That might work but I might wait until I come up with a better version. The nubs help if it is on a flat surface but less so if there are ridges or holes or things.

The unique thing is it allows both portrait or landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by rosalie View Post
    The one I rigged up doesn't rock very much when laid flat on a table, probably because if you notice, the back of the BobjGear case has 4 "nubs" or "feet" that raise the back slightly to somewhat compensate for the hinge and "necktie" piece sticking out.
    Wondering if you could add 4 similar feet onto your backcover, or else maybe file down the ridges of the backcover where the stand will lay over, filing a little more deeply into the area where the necktie would lay. Does any of that make sense? LOL

Remove Ads

Ads