• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1879 times
    I'm guessing that, again, so few of us have the 7, you're not going to get a lot of feedback....
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    907 times
    I think the 2GB data threshold was when the old version of CWM choked. It could not handle the Version of tar used couldn't handle compressions that large.

Quote Originally Posted by ttmoo View Post
    I'm nowhere near 4gig. Last CWM had 2.1gig for data. Just about the same applications on Thrive10 are about 1gig on /data in CWM backup. Something is fishy here.

Too bad nobody answered this post about silly huge data size
    Why is CWM size so big compared to Thrive10
    Last edited by mcarver2000; 08-26-2013 at 06:40 AM.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1285 times
    I thought there was an issue at one time with backups over 2GB too, before the touch interface was added. I seem to remember mine being 1.9 at the time.

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1879 times
    Yep, going back, it was 2G. Tar compression limitation. So long ago....
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    907 times
    In theory one can make a backup of the "backup" and open the tar file and trim it down so that a restore can be made (minus the data trimmed).

Got bitten by the CWM >2gb TAR nandroid restore bug... - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    I'm back in business. Rooted OOM is done. Toshiba's foistware removed. SD card writing fix is done. Applications that I want are done using both Titanium for apps with data, and App Backup and Restore for simpler files. If it weren't for that original, rooted, smaller, image, I'd be dead in the water.
    Being on HC, this box shall remain static until play store decides to tell more version compatibility in their writeups. Freed from silly updates and potential crashes, it's a blessing in a way.

@danvee,
    Oh, yes, got backup at every step, saved on HD, not to be ever removed.

@DoubleDAZ,
    Touch interface is not there for baby Thrive, and pio_masaki mentioned here in post#5
    Calling brave souls...need testers for AT1S0 development testing
    that even if he can do root or CM, TWRP unlikely to work, so I'm on Paul's original.

@mccarver2000,
    Great link, and I even thought of manufacturing MD5 using Windows and rewriting the nandroid.md5 file after reducing data and making .tar out of it.
    Great plan, IMO. However, editing data/data which is what it is, would be well beyond my skills, because there are items in a ton of files which look related to others. The 700 MEG candidate would be unnecessary copies of movies, pictures, music in /media, but even there I'm not sure what can safely go because of various links which the OS would take care of, but I can't.
    Also I don't know what compression to tell 7zip to use, so that would be another guessing job. As an experiment, I uncompressed .tar and compressed it back, and the size was wrong.
    Needless to say, while I was dying to try that experiment, it's no go for me.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1285 times
    Glad to hear you're back in business. Isn't this fun?

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Just a followup - I did some unzipping (by 7zip) of data.ext4.tar files.
    Turns out that Thrive 7 backs up everything in internal storage which explains why I saw such big backup sizes.
    Lesson learned - on Thrive7 put NOTHING into internal storage. Use sdcard2 exclusively.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    184 times
    That's good to know.
    Technology has surpassed humanity
    2 Thrive 10" tablets- 1 out-of-the-box stock with Ice Cream Sandwich and 1 using
    DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    1 Thrive 7" -
    2 Excite tablets 10" and 7.7" both with multi-docks - Nexus 7 2nd generation 64GB - 2 LG 8.3 GPads 1 on wi-fi and 1 on Verizon 4G LTE
    Windows 8.1 tablets - Dell Venue Pro 8.1 64GB - Asus Transformer AT100T 32GB

Ads