• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zodiac

Thread: Cannot update os

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cannot update os

Ive got a notice to update the os but when its ready to install I get a dialog box saying "please connect your device to an external power source." I have it connected an it shows its charging but the dialog box keeps popping up every time I hit the update system button.

2. Ads

Agent Thrive
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    well the problem i have is its updates but it remain in the service station.well you could try and go to setting and apps and last tab all.force stop and clear data and cache.make sure its. plugged in and go to service station should be nothing there.then check for updates.hope this help and work.good luck

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    Hi lmr, welcome to the forum! How charged is your Thrive? Android has a minimum level, I believe 40%, before it will proceed. Otherwise a device could possibly brick itself by losing power during an upgrade.

Keep in mind, though, that if you upgrade your Thrive 7 to ICS, there is no way to root it. Someone was asking about that earlier. Upgrading a Thrive 7 or Thrive 10 to ICS will lock the bootloader, and on the Thrive 7, there's no method of uninstalling ICS or going back to Honeycomb.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lmr287 View Post
    Ive got a notice to update the os but when its ready to install I get a dialog box saying "please connect your device to an external power source." I have it connected an it shows its charging but the dialog box keeps popping up every time I hit the update system button.
    I have exactly the same problem. I've seen the problem mentioned on a Toshiba forum, too. I'm running ICS on a Toshiba Excite 7.7 and would like to update to JB. I'd guess that the problem on the Thrive 7 has the same cause (and solution, I hope).

It appears to me to be either a bug in Service Station or a failure of ICS to report the battery status properly to Service Station. Is there another app that I can use instead of Service Station to install the upgrade on an unrooted tablet, or has the problem been resolved some other way?

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I solved the problem! Apparently the Excite 7.7 can detect whether or not the charger connected to it is the one that was made for it. I had the tablet plugged into a charger for an iPad. It worked fine as a charger, but I couldn't perform the upgrade to Jellybean with it. When I plugged the charging cable into the charger that came with the Excite 7.7 I quit getting the "please connect your device to an external power source" message and was able to upgrade.
    rosalie likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Glad to hear that you figured it out, zodiac. Yeah, I've found out that it pays to always use a device's OEM cable when performing such operations. Thanks for the reminder
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    Posts 4, 5, and 6 don't belong in this section since they are for the Excite model.
    If a moderator could move them to another section it would keep this one clean.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Remove Ads

Ads