• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Calling brave souls...need testers for AT1S0 development testing

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

Calling brave souls...need testers for AT1S0 development testing

I've finally got it worked out that I can build a CM10 for the AT1S0 7" Thrive, however I don't have one, I don't know anyone with one, so it's entirely up to you guys to offer a sacrifice to the development gods and risk your device. If you want.

CM10 is now built, it should now run properly, with touchscreen, and should be just as good as U6 is for the 10" version. Runs Balthazar (changed up to keep it separate from the 10" kernel Balthesaur) 1.00 which should be the equal to Balthesaur 2.80, maybe 2.75.

Also working on a TWRP for you guys.

I have to say, in advance, this is risky. While I don't see any particular issue with this ROM being run, I did build it blind and with zero testing, this is purely intuition guiding me here. It may brick your device, it may run perfect, or anything in between. If it bricks, you may not be able to recover.

By volunteering you must understand and acknowledge these risks to your device, I can't be held responsible for any damage that may occur by you choosing to test these builds.

How do I test for you?
    If you wish to volunteer, please reply in this thread, stating you understand the risks, and I'll PM you with information on how to test for me.

You can do it 1 of 2 ways:

1. Keep the device and do all the testing for me (slower and probably really confusing lol)

2. Send me a 7" thrive that is rooted, or on HC. If you want to send me one on ICS I can also test yet another project on it as well and see if I can root it (faster overall once I get it). I'll understand if people don't want to send me their devices, be it trust issues (random dude on the internet) or it's your daily use device, whatever, no hard feelings.

Requirements:

ROOTED, you MUST be rooted to even attempt this as you need CWM installed to flash the rom, or install TWRP.

English speaking, you must be able to communicate effectively with me to handle any bugs, it relies completely on your reports and logs to correct any issues. Translations are fine as long as its understandable.

Able to lose your device. If this bricks, it can not be brought back unlike the 10" versions, you have no NVFlash (that I'm aware of, however I would like to run a test on this also) so if you lose recovery or ADB access, you may not be able to come back AT ALL. The emmc is also not replaceable, so replacing the board will be required.

TL;DNR

If you want me to develop or test JB, TWRP, NVFlash, ICS Root, send me a PM or send me a 7" Thrive.
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 04-28-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Reinforced warning about not being able to recover device.
    remotehugger, JiveTurkee and AmEv like this.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    268 times
    Twitter
    AmEv7Fam
    I can send you some money to have you buy one.I'm thinking.... 10% of what you need. I'm able and willing to send some via PayPal.
    Have a desire to throw money at my screen? Don't. Nothing'll happen. Use PayPal instead!
    Are you "thriving" for Ubuntu, and/or a Tegra 2 expert? I need your help! I've hit developer's block!
    Got OTA ICS? Want root? Go here!

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    I can send you some money to have you buy one.I'm thinking.... 10% of what you need. I'm able and willing to send some via PayPal.
    I can't even find one to buy lol been looking around for a month or so now...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    1. Having cut my teeth on Dalepl ROMs, CM is a totally foreign area. I tried, but failed to understand the development thread, so I can't figure out what it gives me. Any way to summarize the advantages over what I now use on T7 (see my sig)
    2. Will it allow ICS to be rooted? I think Paul had trouble with it looping during boot.
    3. If we send, what happens to the ownership issue - clearly to test, you'll have to play around with everything. Will that clobber subsequent restoration from backups of our data and settings?
    4. Will CWM continue to work?
    5. What are the chances of totally breaking it? Are we talking 1%? 50%?
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by ttmoo View Post
    1. Having cut my teeth on Dalepl ROMs, CM is a totally foreign area. I tried, but failed to understand the development thread, so I can't figure out what it gives me. Any way to summarize the advantages over what I now use on T7 (see my sig)
    It offers some expandability and extra things to play with, such as themeing, chaning status bar icons, some added performance, there's a guide to jellybean in my sig, take a gander at that also.

2. Will it allow ICS to be rooted? I think Paul had trouble with it looping during boot.
    No, it will not allow ICS to be rooted, it's installed via CWM on an already rooted system. If one happens to come visit me, then I'll work on the ICS root.

3. If we send, what happens to the ownership issue - clearly to test, you'll have to play around with everything. Will that clobber subsequent restoration from backups of our data and settings?
    Ownership goes or stays with whoever its decided upon. I'll assume anything sent to me is loaned and ownership remains with the sender unless other arrangements are made. It will not prohibit restoration of the previous setup. Upon receipt I'll make a nandroid backup in CWM, remove the SD card and store for safe keeping. Upon finishing and prior to returning the device it will then be restored from this backup so you will get it back exactly how it left.

4. Will CWM continue to work?
    It will continue to work as it always has, unless TWRP is installed. As above, though, everything will be reverted to how it was when it came through my door, this includes CWM.

5. What are the chances of totally breaking it? Are we talking 1%? 50%?
    This is difficult to gauge, and is a somewhat impossible one to answer. This is experimental, though I can say CM won't kill anything, TWRP very well can. Some have already flashed CM10 to their 7" devices with no major damage, reflashing a proper 7" ROM has returned it to working order, so I'll say it's minimal. TWRP however deals with the filesystem in a very different manner and can very easily brick a device if anything is wrong with it.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    268 times
    Twitter
    AmEv7Fam
    Have a desire to throw money at my screen? Don't. Nothing'll happen. Use PayPal instead!
    Are you "thriving" for Ubuntu, and/or a Tegra 2 expert? I need your help! I've hit developer's block!
    Got OTA ICS? Want root? Go here!

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    That's on ICS lol

Wait...did dale or anyone ever try to rollback a 7"?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Nope. Not to my knowledge.... Afaik, the current 'utility' only has the system image of the 10.
    Don't know that I'd try it.....
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Re point 3
    Small misunderstanding which I probably caused. I wasn't asking about the ownership of Thrive.
    What I wondered is about few paid applications for which I have a license, and I guess google login and perhaps registration with Toshiba.

Thanks for the answers, pio. Now I get it. Mostly
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    Nope. Not to my knowledge.... Afaik, the current 'utility' only has the system image of the 10.
    Don't know that I'd try it.....
    Well I'm not going to flash the system image, I'm mostly wondering if it uses the same SBK as the 10", if it does I can change it up and have it roll back 7" devices also, but again, I need someone willing to take that leap of faith and let me try. I'll start with the boot loader, if that works then the rest is easy mode, just need to know if the SBK is the same, I should probably ask dalepl about that.

Well I don't have to actually flash anything, I just need to see if it can read something, if it does then the SBK is the same and its a safe test, no chance of damage.

Tapatalked from my HTC DNA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads