• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
    Liked
    67 times

ICS: Do I Update, Or Not?

Running okay on HC, but wouldn't mind it running better, if the OTA update would accomplish that. But could it make it worse? Then I'm stuck with it if it does.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    It's a crap-shoot if an OTA update will help or make things worse. It's a known fact that rooting and flashing the ICS ROM helps and the only harm has come when someone flashes the wrong ROM. If one does the OTA, and don't like it, they must impose on dalepl to roll them back to HC to fix the problem. It's advisable, to backup data, install CWM and flash the proper ICS ROM from dalepl‎

For app/data backup check out Carbon - App Sync and Backup

Quote Originally Posted by SHADO View Post
    Running okay on HC, but wouldn't mind it running better, if the OTA update would accomplish that. But could it make it worse? Then I'm stuck with it if it does.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    You may have a blessing in disguise. Never having had a Thrive 7 myself, reading this forum indicates that ICS for the 7" isn't too bad. Maybe there just aren't enough units around for people to find this forum and post about bugs. It can't be rooted or rolled back to 3.2, though, as you know. Root is important to me for Titanium Backup and ad blockers.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
    Liked
    67 times
    Yeah, I've gotten spoiled by my rooted 10" THRiVE, running dalepl's deodexed ICS ROM, and being overclocked to 1.3Ghz. My new 7" just seems so slow and sluggish by comparison.

So mcarver, you say that dalepl can roll back to HC on the 7" THRiVE? As panda stated (and what I also thought), it supposedly isn't possible. Also, I thought the 7" isn't rootable. Perhaps I/we just misunderstood what we'd heard.

Anyway, thanks for the responses so far, guys!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times

Re: ICS: Do I Update, Or Not?

I don't think so.
    I think he just has the image for the Thrive 10 to roll back . iirc, the Universal Easy Flash Tool can root the 7" w/HC, but, like it's big brother, ICS can't be.
    I'm sure he'll weigh in.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Correct, my bad..... OTA'ing a 7" to ICS is a no-go for rolling back..... unless one wants to pay Toshiba to do it (if they will)....
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times

You know, that brings up an interesting question.
    As we know the tools are available (if the Thrive 10 can be rolled back, so can the 7 using the same software with correct factory images); has anyone had Toshiba offer to do a rollback either remotely or by sending it in?
    I've not heard of anyone mentioning it....
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

If the key is the same as the 10 then we CAN roll it back tool wise, what we lack is the images. At a minimum the kernel needs tuning for the digitizer, not sure what else.

Plenty of things I want to try on the baby thrive, just no access to one limits it to theory.

Tapatalked from my HTC DNA
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I decided to do the OTA to ICS instead of root. It turned out to be way slower than HC, so I had to uninstall almost everything and I left important apps on it. I also had to turn off most of the bells and whistles in settings, and it does run really good now. I never used the thrive for all that stuff anyways my iPad is more appropriate for all that. It seems to be a real stable build, so basically I have a rock solid stable 7 inch high-resolution tablet that does everything I want it to. Gmail, podkicker, chrome, YouTube, IP cam viewer, and various Google apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads

Ads