• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ttmoo
  • 1 Post By sushumna
  • 1 Post By ttmoo

Thread: OTG problems. Is root access required?

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

OTG problems. Is root access required?

Hi,
    my cable electrically checks out but I get no response from my tablet then it is plugged in.
    I have it connected to a powered USB hub,Flash drive in the hub but host mode doesnt seem to activate.
    My thrive 7 has ISC OTA 4.0.4 istalled with kernel version 2.6.39.4-g9560a99.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers.

2. Ads

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times

Re: OTG problems. Is root access required?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpydad View Post
    Hi,
    my cable electrically checks out but I get no response from my tablet then it is plugged in.
    I have it connected to a powered USB hub,Flash drive in the hub but host mode doesnt seem to activate.
    My thrive 7 has ISC OTA 4.0.4 istalled with kernel version 2.6.39.4-g9560a99.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers.
    No. Root has nothing to do with OTG on devices that have an OTG port. However, there are a few places for problems to arise. My understanding is that not all Excites have OTG ports. I know that you have a Thrive 7. I'm not sure whether OTG is supported on the 7. Does the Thrive 7 list its micro USB as OTG? For example, the Excite 10 LE spec does not list its USB port as OTG, but the other Excites do. Second, not all USB host adaptors are OTG adaptors. Some are just adaptors. Third, not all devices, when successfuly connected, show up on the host (tablet). Finally, USB drives that are not formatted FAT32, are not readable by most Android devices, and are ignored (I think).

So, the most likely places for the problem, if you're sure that the adaptor is OTG, would be the tablet or the drive. I don't think that the hub would show up as a USB device, even it it was working properly, but it can be removed from the loop for testing. If the Thrive 7 has an OTG port and you have an OTG adaptor, the problem is most likely that the USB drive is not being recognized. If you have a USB keyboard or mouse, you might plug them directly into the adaptor to see if they are recognized.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my AT270 using Tapatalk 2

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    TabletFreak
    thanks for your reply,
    I have been following Connecting External USB Devices (USB Host OTG) in general dissussions.
    My understanding is a OTG cable has pins 4&5 shorted together at the mini usb male(the plug that goes into the socket on the tablet).
    I have wired a mini usb cable with 4,5 shorted together & soldered a standard size female(socket) on the other end.
    Is there a easy way to check if my AT1S0 is OTG compatible?
    Should the tablet display anything when the cable/Flashdrive is plugged in?.It is formatted to FAT32.
    I will format another & test.Cheers

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times

Re: OTG problems. Is root access required?

One thing to watch for with flash drives, if there is an hidden partition, it may not be seen. Some sticks come with a pseudo-cdrom partition as the first portion. Android may not detect a USB device if this is the case.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    I know this is an old thread, but perhaps some of my illustrations will be useful to someone, considering how almost unattended ths forum is. All I can describe is what I did.

USB setup is tedious, and hardly practical, thanks to Toshiba, but can be done. My pictures are hardly readable, so I'll describe a bit.

First of all I followed Sushumna's instructions to the last detail
    The pieces:
    1. Thrive7 is on Android 3 and rooted.
    2. Bobjgear OTG piggy-tail adapter.
    3. Powered hub
    4. In it you can see a Logitech mouse and a Maxell flash stick
    5. The white cord going out from the hub (normally to computer) here goes through the OTG adapter to Thrive-7. When I took this picture, usb+otg was not connected. See pic#3822.

At one point I made me a screenshot with annotated instructions - see pic HowToConnect - based of course on Shushumna's thread. In red comments "Evo" is a laptop to which the hub is normally connected. Hey, these were notes to me

Once connected, the screen shows a dmesg log on the right and on the left are two sections - on top about Connected devices which include mouse and the hub.
    On the bottom is Generic Flash about 4gig, and bright letters sda1 and MOUNT. That's all on pic#3820. And clicking MOUNT is important of course.
    Finally, I'm pretty sure is a shot of RootExplorer, it shows /mnt/ehdd, no indication of any usb, and indeed reflected the contents of the flash - that's in pic#3821.

I wrote about the success in post#22 here:
    Connecting External USB Devices (USB Host OTG)

Is ROOT required? I don't know. I was rooted all along.
    Besides the hub method, I found an old cable which can provide power to the usb port. So here go two pictures of some results.
    Ghost Commander worked, after mounting it as mnt/ehdd again - see middle line on pic#3857
    and here it is all inside Ghost - pic#3860

EDIT: if you right click a picture, picture ID will be seen. Sorry, it used to show it, now it doesn't.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ttmoo; 03-15-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: picture IDs vanished-new forum format?
    rosalie likes this.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Thanks for replying to this one ttmoo, I've been extremely busy getting my house to sell and organising moving and studying in another state!

My best bet is that the problem is a simple electrical one. Although the cabling may well be correct, if the OTG port on the Thrive 7-inch is not receiving an external 5V DC supply it will not work as an OTG port. ttmoo's last photo in the post above shows the most simple setup (which can also be custom built). ttmoo's simple setup will guarantee that the USB device and the Thrive's OTG port receive 5V DC. I am guessing that your powered hub does not provide 5V DC on it's uplink port (the port that connects to the OTG adapter). Sadly not all powered hubs do provide 5V on the uplink port. You should definitely try a cable like ttmoo's first and try it with a mouse, as a mouse cursor will appear immediately. Once you get a mouse working, then move onto more complicated equipment such as flash drives, hard drives, cameras, etc. In the original thread I actually recommended a cable that will do just what you need. If you don't want the standard USB plug that is on the recommended cable as your power source, you could just chop it off and wire it straight to a 5V power adapter (500mA minimum), or a power socket so that you could plug in a a standard power adapter without modifying the adapter. ttmoo is using his Thrive's charger as the power source as you can see in his last photo above. It might be worth your time to thoroughly re-read the full USB host thread, as all of these issues are discussed in there. You can also use a cheap unpowered hub with this sort of cable.

It seems that Toshiba did not provide the Thrive 7-inch with a full USB host controller chip with it's own dedicated boost convertor to provide 500mA of current at 5V DC as a standard USB host port does.

Good luck with it all and let us know how you go.

P.S. if you are handy with a soldering iron like you appear to be I highly recommend the boost convertor mod that I did to my Thrive. The mod completely removes the external power requirements and turns the tablet into what it should have been in the first place. It's a cheap mod and well worth the small amount of effort. I have been running this mod for quite some time now and have not had any problems. Let me know if you want to try it out and I can give you some tips and alternative ways of achieving it.
    Last edited by sushumna; 03-21-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: incorrect link
    rosalie likes this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Regarding Sushumna's reference to the ideas in the other thread
    Connecting External USB Devices (USB Host OTG)
    just FYI on my $6.00 investment for Mini USB 5Pin to USB Female Host OTG Cable With USB power for Tablet MP4 phone | eBay
    Ordered 22 March, promised delivery April 1 to 10. Came from China April 2.
    Using the Thrive-7 power thing, the ebay cable setup is successful - see pics.
    For power, Panasonic QE-PL201-W doesn't seem to exist in the US. Instead, there once was on US Amazon the same thing under KBC-L2 designation. It's a very expensive affair $50-80.

My dream? An inexpensive, portable, package of all this that doesn't require a major T7 surgery like Sushumna did
    Attached Images Attached Images
    rosalie likes this.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    The Panasonic QE-PL201-W looks like a good find, although there are certainly smaller and cheaper portable rechargable batteries. The QE-PL201-W provides 5000mAh, which is certainly plenty of power (even more than the Thrive's 3700mAh battery!). A battery of that size will provide 10hrs of power to a 500mAh external USB device. For portability I would go with something smaller and lighter like this battery: Duracell Instant USB Charger. The Duracell battery is only 1150mAh of power, but many devices such as flash drives, mice & keyboards only draw about 100mAh. A 100mAh device would last roughly 10hrs with a battery of that size. I am sure there are plenty of other portable batteries of that size and similar price, but I would recommend going with a decent brand to ensure quality and safety.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Resuming the query whether Root access is required:

I'm now pretty sure root is required for files to be seen. Should have thought of it earlier.
    - I repeated things today, watching what steps I did to see the files, and few more pointers might help someone:
    - After starting Host controller, go to its Settings and tell it to save dmesg log to SD card
    - then finish the connection, the last one USB device
    - and mount it where it says ehdd
    - DO NOT EXIT Host controller, instead press that up-arrow icon (I made a mistake of using leftmost arrow, and of course the USB device got unmounted, arrgghh)
    - Get into Ghost Commander, take Home to go up the tree to where it'll ask to CONFIRM, You're opening a system folder - that tells me root is needed or we couldn't get into there
    - mnt/ehdd will then show the files.
    - Root explorer, of course, shows the contents of mnt/ehdd right away.
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Remove Ads

Ads