• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times

Unrooting To Install 4.0 OTA

Question to Grumpy:
    Re: "#3 Thrive 7" - Now on ICS thanks to dalepl for unbricking" in your sig - How on earth did you brick the baby Thrive. Can you share the info on the 7" forum so we can learn what not to do. Please.

Edit:
    Perhaps first question is answered. Quote from Amazon description:
    Product Features
    Connectivity Technology-Docking;Physical Characteristics-Height-3.4;
    I/O Expansions-Expansion Slots-microSD;Physical Characteristics-Width-5.2;
    Interfaces/Ports-Ports-1 x Mini USB, 1 x Mini-phone Audio, 1 x Power Input, 1 x HDMI Digital Audio/Video;Physical Characteristics-Depth-1.6;
    Power Description-Input Voltage-100 V AC to 240 V AC;Physical Characteristics-Weight (Approximate)-6.56 oz;
    Is that full HDMI plug or micro? Does the Thrive have to be in vertical orientation to use it?

One review says it doesn't have any of these ports. Total confusion in my head.
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 11-19-2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Post split from another thread.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

2. Ads

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ttmoo View Post
    Two dumb questions to Grumpy:
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

1. That dock doesn't have full size USB port on it nor HDMI, does it? It's just power and analog audio?
    Correct. There is no HDMI or USB plug, only an audio out and, of course, the power plug.

Does the Thrive have to be in vertical orientation to use it?.
    Yes. It's nice to drop the 7" in and use it or just let it charge.

2. Re: "#3 Thrive 7" - Now on ICS thanks to dalepl for unbricking" in your sig - How on earth did you brick the baby Thrive. Can you share the info on the 7" forum so we can learn what not to do. Please.
    I'm not sure if I had senior moment or too many beers that day, but what happened was, I did an OTA update without installing the dalepl stock ROM first (duh). The baby Thrive, as you call it, would work fine, but every time I booted, it would try and install the ICS update and eventually settle down and revert back to 3.2. I pm'd our main man, dalepl, and he told me what to do. The bottom line is, if you're rooted, have a clear head and install dalepl's stock ROM before you do an OTA update.
    Technology has surpassed humanity
    2 Thrive 10" tablets- 1 out-of-the-box stock with Ice Cream Sandwich and 1 using
    DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    1 Thrive 7" -
    2 Excite tablets 10" and 7.7" both with multi-docks - Nexus 7 2nd generation 64GB - 2 LG 8.3 GPads 1 on wi-fi and 1 on Verizon 4G LTE
    Windows 8.1 tablets - Dell Venue Pro 8.1 64GB - Asus Transformer AT100T 32GB

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Thanks. Now, more questions.
    - This being ICS, are you able to go back to HC even though you did OTA update?
    - you still have root?
    - So if I have what's in my sig, doing OTA upgrade will work if I load in stock-rooted instead of the current OOM? I thought we shouldn't and that it wouldn't even work, or is that info applicable only to Thrive 10?
    Just asking, since I haven't decided to do ICS - but there's one feature in ICS I like, so I'm thinking.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times

Re: Thrive 7" stand

No rooting for the 7" after an OTA ICS update. Also dalepl can not rollback the 7". Flashing a full non-rooted 7" ROM will allow OTA updates.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    This being ICS, are you able to go back to HC even though you did OTA update?
    Yes. Our main man can walk you through it.

you still have root?
    No. No can do after an OTA to ICS.

So if I have what's in my sig, doing OTA upgrade will work if I load in stock-rooted instead of the current OOM?
    You have to use the Full Stock ROM.

thought we shouldn't and that it wouldn't even work, or is that info applicable only to Thrive 10?
    You can flash the 7 and 10 back to out-of-the box stock condition.It's the only way to get OTA updates.
    Please keep in mind I'm talking from my experience only, you're experience may differ and I assume no responsibility.

Just asking, since I haven't decided to do ICS - but there's one feature in ICS I like, so I'm thinking.
    What is it you like? The main reason I did it was, I like all my hardware (tablets and cell phone) to be the same, so whatever device I use, it's setup just like the other ones.
    What have you decided about the "baby Thrive" stand?
    Technology has surpassed humanity
    2 Thrive 10" tablets- 1 out-of-the-box stock with Ice Cream Sandwich and 1 using
    DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    1 Thrive 7" -
    2 Excite tablets 10" and 7.7" both with multi-docks - Nexus 7 2nd generation 64GB - 2 LG 8.3 GPads 1 on wi-fi and 1 on Verizon 4G LTE
    Windows 8.1 tablets - Dell Venue Pro 8.1 64GB - Asus Transformer AT100T 32GB

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldGeek View Post
    No. No can do after an OTA to ICS.
    No root is an immediate showstopper. I need it for AdAway, avast firewall, screenshot, Titanium, NTFS...
    What is it you like? The main reason I did it was, I like all my hardware (tablets and cell phone) to be the same, so whatever device I use, it's setup just like the other ones.
    The one thing I like is, like you, common setup, common look. Of those the composite shortcuts/icons are great on Thrive 10.
    What have you decided about the "baby Thrive" stand?
    Well, I didn't decide yet. It appears to be a glorified power cord but might come handy if stands in one place. Do any cords come with it or is some USB cord plugged into the charger thingie?
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Remove Ads

Ads