• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: What I've been busy doing...Kernel work.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

What I've been busy doing...Kernel work.

I've been spending a bunch of my free time working not on the 10" Thrive, but the 7" Thrive. Months of waiting and toiling and frustration FINALLY paid off today. I've finally managed to build a working kernel for the 7" Thrive! It appears to be fully functional, as as far as I know its the first custom built kernel for the 7" Thrive. The first build has nothing extra, its straight Toshiba build setup minus sealime. I'm in the process of adding OC and various other things to it to bring it more inline with Melchoir, so users on HC will have something to play with while I continue my project and bring it inline with Balthesaur and get CM10 going. As it is it took pieces from the HC 7" source, the 10" ICS source, and some of the JB source we added, and for some reason had to be built with CM10.1's toolchain to finally make it through, go figure.

If anyone cares I can upload the kernel, but for now it's just a renamed stock kernel lol

I've also been porting over Favum 3.1 in small bursts now and then, I never released it since I was awaiting permission to use it, but I never got it so I may upload it, but not post it up, and will maybe include the kernel with it. It will otherwise be in a flashable zip just like the 10" kernels are. I'll probably be skipping over ICS since the source just isn't near ready for the 7" thrive for some reason, and go straight to cm10.
    danvee, panda, JiveTurkee and 2 others like this.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Nice work, Pio!

As XM hasn't posted for over a year now, I'd say go ahead and post your 3.1 port. So long as you give him credit for the original, I see no issue. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    rosalie likes this.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    Awesome work, Pio! I don't have a 7" Thrive but wouldn't mind testing your kernel on one.
    rosalie likes this.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Ok busy night, at this point I'm done for the evening, but here is the path of carnage so far just for HC, I decided to implement it all into HC then merge it into JB then merge Balthesaur over into it for JB support instead of like I did before, where I branched Melchoir and Balthesaur and worked on both seperate, this should cut the time in half.

https://github.com/pio-masaki/kernel_at1s0/commits/hc For those who care to see what I did tonight. The final commit here is where stuff gets unstable for most devices, they can mostly handle 400 MHz 3D, but 400 MHz 2D is mostly not possible so far, anyone testing it has had severe issues with the system at that speed, so this will likely wind down to around 320-350 MHz where Balthesaur sits now IIRC. Seemed like a good place to stop as heavy testing at this point will be needed.

With any luck at all, tomorrow will see 4.1 running on this little beast.

Edit: 400/400 was to much, 400/340 at least boots, and runs much smoother, hopefully it can hold.

Edit Edit: Haptic still works....
    Last edited by pio_masaki; 03-12-2014 at 11:51 PM.
    panda and rosalie like this.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Update, a few days later I finally got a JB kernel to finish building. As for it running, well taking bets on that one still.

Its almost 100% Balthesaur 2.79 with modifications to work with the atmel maxtouch controller the baby thrive uses, that's why the kernel would work but no input ability. 12 hours at just JB so far this round, plus 10 hours over the last few months, plus the hours spent on HC kernels, this is becoming a huge project.

So good news is that since its mostly the same kernel as its big brother all the work there should carry over and minimize the time needed to tweak it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2
    rosalie, ttmoo and danvee like this.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    You lead such a boring life, pio

For testing a crowd is needed - I wonder if there's a way to ask few users here who have abondoned the baby Thrive because couldn't root, or got ICS, got too many tablets, etc - maybe they'll contribute/loan their Thrives to the testing crowd. Perhaps our good moderators could even send mail to such users. With a heading "Thrive 7 - It's alive, it's alive".
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Well for right now I'm focusing on HC, it got severely unstable after a ton of work even though it ran great, it couldn't sleep without SoD. So I reverted everything and implemented only GPU OC, same as on the 10" and its doing better now. I think I moved to fast to soon and didn't do much testing in between lol.

I got the kernel to build for 4.1 and 4.2, even boots and runs, but digitizer is STILL broken, doesn't see touch at all, and its pretty impossible to get logs since I can't enable debugging. JB may still be a dream at this point :banghead:

I'll be uploading the GPU OC version for testing to anyone interested. Limited as the user base is that have one, and one on HC and rooted is pretty tiny I'd imagine, but still an option.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ttmoo View Post
    You lead such a boring life, pio

For testing a crowd is needed - I wonder if there's a way to ask few users here
    I'm in!
    Technology has surpassed humanity
    2 Thrive 10" tablets- 1 out-of-the-box stock with Ice Cream Sandwich and 1 using
    DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    1 Thrive 7" -
    2 Excite tablets 10" and 7.7" both with multi-docks - Nexus 7 2nd generation 64GB - 2 LG 8.3 GPads 1 on wi-fi and 1 on Verizon 4G LTE
    Windows 8.1 tablets - Dell Venue Pro 8.1 64GB - Asus Transformer AT100T 32GB

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    For the brave at heart, here is a few things to note on my site:
    Directory listing of http://pio-masaki.com/Thrive/AT1S0This contains 3 kernels right now, 1 is stock, this can be used to flash back to a non modified version of the kernel in case of emergency.

kernel-hc-gpu-oc-400-320-AT1S0.zip is a GPU overclocked only version that will go up to 400MHz in 3D up from 300 MHz, and up to 320 MHZ in 2D, up from 300 MHz. Voltages adjusted accordingly and should scale as normal, just with a higher top end ability. No CPU Overclocking yet.

kernel-hc-gpu-400-340-sysoc-AT1S0.zip is a GPU overclocked version that will go to 400 MHz in 3D up from 300 MHz, and up to 340 MHz in 2D, up from 300 MHz. System is also Overclocked in various other places assisting in getting full GPU OC use including voltages. System will still scale normally just with a higher top end ability. No CPU overclocking yet.

There has nothing else added or removed, no extra governors, schedulers, hardware support, etc. This kernel needs to be grown much more slowly and carefully then the big brother version, the Baby Thrive seems far more picky about it. As its a HC based kernel, it'll be named Baby Caspar for now, and will follow the naming of the 10" kernels just with Baby in front, so ICS will be Baby Melchoir, JB Baby Balthesaur, etc.

I hope some users can enjoy it, I feel it wakes up the baby thrive to how it should have been from the beginning on HC. CPU OC will be the next project I think, but IMO on HC this doesn't even need it with the backend being sped up already.
    rosalie and panda like this.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    I noticed some users may not be familiar with I'm actually doing with the baby thrive, so here is a paste of an email I sent a few minutes ago, I hope this helps clear it up for users not that familiar with my work or what I'm actually doing here....it was in reply to an email so it may not make a ton of sense in some areas if you don't keep in mind its an answer.

Overclocking has the chance to heat up and use more battery as it's running the device at a higher speed, and that higher speed needs additional power to keep it stable. Application compatability won't be an issue outside of kernel apps, anything else "normal" will not care about the kernel outside of the system being stable or unstable. A higher speed can actually reduce battery usage as it can accomplish more at a higher speed in a shorter amount of time and then go back to low power, but it's debatable as that's extremely difficult to test and prove/disprove as that burst also comes with slightly higher power usage.

To use the kernel with any HC ROM on the baby is pretty easy, its a zip you flash just like the ROM, but it's flashed AFTER the ROM is flashed. At any point returning to the stock kernel is as easy as flashing the stock zip that's also up there, or the ROM zip, but that will probably delete everything unless it's my favum HC.

In terms of current usage, under pretty nominal usage, meaning I wake it up once in awhile to make sure it hasn't frozen or died, it's currently using 21% battery in 1D19H since install of the last kernel I made. I'm testing for SoD in particular which requires me to NOT actually use the device much so I'm not sure what impact it has on overall usability for battery consumption.

i/o schedulers control the read/write operations and how/when data is read or written and in which order. NOOP is pretty standard for this generation and does well enough usually, though deadline offers the best blend of performance and reliability imo. Governors control how and when the kernel will speed up the CPU, for how long, and when to bring it back down to minimal speed. Some favor battery over performance, like Conservative, others rely on system load and try to keep up, like OnDemand, other's poll by time and try to speed up and down ahead of potential load, like Interactive. Performance locks the CPU at maximum set speed so naturally offers the best performance at the worst battery life.

That's the basic stuff I add in, there's usually a ton more added in behind the scenes, especially the AT100 kernels to get JB running, but this one is going slow and step by step so it'll take some time before it catches up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads