• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: What I've been busy doing...Kernel work.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pio_masaki View Post
    I assumed Paul had made one available for the baby thrive also
    Sorry, but I didn't find anyone. Only HoneyComb pre-rooted ROMs exist.

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyogre View Post
    Sorry, but I didn't find anyone. Only HoneyComb pre-rooted ROMs exist.
    OK well forget I mentioned ICS then. I hadn't planned on doing any ICS ROMs until I had the proper kernel source first.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    I've been dying to try this stuff. I'm on Baby Favum 2.0.2.
    But still can't figure out which version to take of the two provided.
    How to install, what must I backup, etc, because to me it all means ROM, which I gather from page 2 here that it's not. Just kernel. Still too fuzzy (me) to know what to do.
    And once it's in, what to look for, how to test, to be able to provide valuable (or not) feedback.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by ttmoo View Post
    I've been dying to try this stuff. I'm on Baby Favum 2.0.2.
    But still can't figure out which version to take of the two provided.
    How to install, what must I backup, etc, because to me it all means ROM, which I gather from page 2 here that it's not. Just kernel. Still too fuzzy (me) to know what to do.
    And once it's in, what to look for, how to test, to be able to provide valuable (or not) feedback.
    I should probably go make some threads, this was meant just to be a kind of journal of what was going on and went off track a bit, I was waiting on releasing baby favum until I had gotten permission, but seeing as its been nearly 6 months, I don't think I'll be getting a response anytime soon lol. I'll be making threads shortly which should help everyone figure out whats going on where.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    Pio, here comes the dumbest question: Why are we overclocking?
    Is it because Tegra2 can be faster but Toshiba made it slow, or what?
    I know people do it in Windows and always wondered why. Is it for movies? for general speed of processing?
    I also know many, very many, users of Thrive10 use your kernels, so it sounds like something very desireable, but I don't think anyone ever wrote why.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Overclocking is good for gaming and making things a bit "snappier".
    There's usually a bit of leeway in the CPU's design tolerances, and the manufacturers typically run on the conservative side.
    Especially with an aging device, the extra performance can make it feel more "current".
    Note that Overclocking generally uses more energy, so battery life can be impacted.
    Also, if performance is not an issue (or you're just reading ebooks) some kernels allow you to underclock as well. Slows things down a tad but can give better battery life.
    rosalie likes this.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    Thanks!, Dan.
    So I guess I won't see much difference with all that fancy overclocking, since the only online game here is Minecraft, and that's just on the LAN.
    But youtube movies might buffer less if it can work faster, though no problems here in the past.
    Last edited by ttmoo; 06-05-2014 at 10:51 AM.
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pio_masaki View Post
    It was for users that are on a rooted ICS ROM, I assumed Paul had made one available for the baby thrive also. I should probably note that I can root ICS on the 7" thrives, and no you didn't miss a tool for it somewhere, there isn't one available.

Really it was meant to say anything but HC needed wiped, but since I haven't released JB for it that would only leave ICS being installed.

Hi Pio..can you give me the link to that rooted ICS ROM from Paul? I want to try it on my baby thrive

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by teplok View Post
    Hi Pio..can you give me the link to that rooted ICS ROM from Paul? I want to try it on my baby thrive
    There isn't one, I assumed there was one but there apparently is not one available at this time. If toshiba ever gets me the kernel source I asked for a year ago then I'll get one going for you guys.
    graine247 and rosalie like this.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    Progress report on Pio's great work:
    Two weeks of frequent use. Baby Thrive likes Favum2.3 and kernel with 400-320 in .zip filename. No issues with any applications, Avast, and even some updates. Mind you, I don't do facebooks, twitters, dropboxes, so can't vouch for this sort of thing.
    The only goofy thing is in the Favum power menu - the nice boot to Recovery option gave me problems - the screen did come up, I was slow to read, it turned dark grey, and I needed to hold the power button for a few seconds to be able to do normal boot. Just no time to find the vol button and navigate the menu. In fact I had to do it twice. Problem is reproducible. Doesn't bother me, I just use the vol and power routine which works, and as I write this, CWM backup is running. Next step will be the kernel with 400-340 in name.
    Last edited by ttmoo; 06-17-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: just more details
    pio_masaki likes this.
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads