• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: What I've been busy doing...Kernel work.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Let me see if I understand this. What you've done is speed up the GPU, a.k.a Graphics Process Unit, for a better/faster GUI? The OS is still Honeycomb with a newer OS such as Jelly Bean coming later?
    rosalie likes this.
    Technology has surpassed humanity
    2 Thrive 10" tablets- 1 out-of-the-box stock with Ice Cream Sandwich and 1 using
    DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    1 Thrive 7" -
    2 Excite tablets 10" and 7.7" both with multi-docks - Nexus 7 2nd generation 64GB - 2 LG 8.3 GPads 1 on wi-fi and 1 on Verizon 4G LTE
    Windows 8.1 tablets - Dell Venue Pro 8.1 64GB - Asus Transformer AT100T 32GB

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldGeek View Post
    Let me see if I understand this. What you've done is speed up the GPU, a.k.a Graphics Process Unit, for a better/faster GUI? The OS is still Honeycomb with a newer OS such as Jelly Bean coming later?
    Yup, the kernel I'm working with now is from Toshiba's 3.1 source, so it currently only works with HC ROMs, stock, or whatever version, as long as its HC. Once Toshiba sends me the correct 4.0 kernel source I can begin working on ICS and JB kernels. Since it takes Toshiba MONTHS to get me source it'll likely be on hold for a few months more. Luckily once I get ICS source then JB doesn't take much more since the AT100 kernel for JB is from the ICS source and patched up to work with JB.

It's sped up the maximum speed of the GPU, so it doesn't always run that fast, just allows it to run UP TO that speed as needed. The GPU is regulated by a governor just like the CPU is, and it's usually OnDemand. 3D performance will also be increased, IE for games and apps that support 3D acceleration. It's like a motor in a car or bike, just because you CAN rev it up to 7,000 RPM doesn't mean its always sitting there while driving.

As the kernel is separate from the ROM, it'll still be HC, it won't change anything on the surface of the device, the kernel hides way down low right by the hardware, you won't see a visable difference aside from any performance increases it may give.
    rosalie and panda like this.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Thanks for all of your awesome work and dedication, Pio.
    btw, I appreciated your explanation of IO schedulers and Governors. I understand it better now

SwiftKeyed with Tapatalk on my S3 or N7 💕
    pio_masaki likes this.
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Well, in that case, I might hang onto my Baby Thrive. I was thinking about cutting back on my tablet inventory but this may change my mind as I would like to "hop up" the little guy.
    rosalie and pio_masaki like this.
    Technology has surpassed humanity
    2 Thrive 10" tablets- 1 out-of-the-box stock with Ice Cream Sandwich and 1 using
    DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    1 Thrive 7" -
    2 Excite tablets 10" and 7.7" both with multi-docks - Nexus 7 2nd generation 64GB - 2 LG 8.3 GPads 1 on wi-fi and 1 on Verizon 4G LTE
    Windows 8.1 tablets - Dell Venue Pro 8.1 64GB - Asus Transformer AT100T 32GB

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Ok update on my sleep of death testing, the baby thrive has been sitting for 8 days and 17 hours, its hit 10% battery so I'm going to charge it now, but it never failed to wake up so I'd say SoD isn't a likely issue for this kernel at this point. I woke it up a few times a day for 3 days, then let it sit for 4 days straight then woke it up occasionally again on the last day. It may change with additional apps or different ROMs or usage, but the base testing says the kernel doesn't have issues yet.
    rosalie and rangerelf like this.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    I think that SoD is a Thrive 10 feature. In some Thrives.
    My baby Thrive never had one. I charge it only when I have to, say under 20%, every couple of days. Use it once or twice per day - no issues.
    WiFi is off while sleeping, gets restored when I wake it up.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by ttmoo View Post
    I think that SoD is a Thrive 10 feature. In some Thrives.
    My baby Thrive never had one. I charge it only when I have to, say under 20%, every couple of days. Use it once or twice per day - no issues.
    WiFi is off while sleeping, gets restored when I wake it up.
    SoD is a Tegra 2 feature, so all Tegra 2 devices *may* suffer from it, its erratic which devices will or will not show it, I've been lucky and my thrives haven't, but I had a G2x, which was a phone with a Tegra 2, and it couldn't charge and sleep at the same time, it would trip into SoD and overheat, it'd be 150 degrees when I picked it up in the morning. My first A100 didn't have much of a problem with SoD but the warranty replacement board did, so its almost random, down to some kind of manufacturing variance that some chips had it, most didn't. Its made even worse with custom kernels as they tend to push the system a little harder, so some users who never once saw SoD, or saw it so infrequently as to forget it existed before, may have it quite a bit when they flash one of my kernels, I can't really do much about it as I tuned to my device and it didn't have those issues, SoD is impossible to even log as it occurs only in deep sleep, logging prevents it.

I'll note I'm now testing a kernel with CPU overclocking implemented, as with Melchoir and Balthesaur it does have up to 1.5 GHz, though that's always been almost instant freezing for 99.99% of thrives out there. It's with the other kernels and is named "kernel-hc-gpu-cpu-sys-oc-at1s0.zip". It's technically Caspar 2.1 if anyone is following along. Retains all previous changes as of the last posted kernel with GPU and system OC, just includes CPU OC as well. Nothing else added yet.

Edit: @ttmoo I'm going to play around with some libs and blobs and see if I can't fix favum's video orientation issue.
    rosalie likes this.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Ok the CPU OC will need more work, it's still really unstable so I'll need to do something about that, not sure what yet. BUT since I suffered a defeat and will be taking back my last present, I'll offer something else instead.

A while back, sometime in December, I started porting over the excellent Favum HC ROM over from the 10" to the 7" Thrive, and with ttmoo's help it was mostly ready, few quirks fixed, some remained. The biggest issues preventing me from actually releasing it was camera was upside down, and various other video outputs were also upside down, like HDMI out, and I think even some players would do it while other's didn't. I've corrected the upside down video issue, so I've decided a tester can go out for you guys. I wouldn't call this an official release, just a beta test for you guys to mess around with. It does still have some oddities, rotation and a glitchy transparency on the notification pull up, where you pull up for your toggles and notifications, it's REALLY transparent, which I assume was done by XM, but its difficult to see. Since it's in SystemUI.apk which is compiled and difficult to mess with, and I've never done it, I'm having trouble finding what he did and changing it to be darker, and still build the SystemUI.apk back into working condition.

Anyways some fun things about the ROM:
    Runs the kernel I built with GPU and backend OC, smoothes out the UI a bit IMO.
    Uses Favum HC as it's base, from the 10" Thrive and with bits and pieces from the 7" HC 008 to get it working.
    Anything it has in Favum HC it will have here minus some apps to lighten it up a little.
    DOES NOT WIPE YOUR DEVICE. It only wipes /system, same as all of my ROMs. You may dirty flash this over your current HC ROM. ICS ROMs will need a full wipe first.
    Init.d support with various scripts to help the system along, including cache tweaks, file system tweaks, memory tweaks, network tweaks, tweak tweaks, tweaking of other tweaks to tweak those tweaks harder.

The following may change as reports come in as they aren't tuned for this device:
    Beats mod (audio)
    Bravia engine (display)
    Vegeezy's custom apps such as Flash (should be pretty universal)
    Some init.d scripts
    Some build.prop mods

Buggies:
    Rotation is odd, if an app forces portrait, it may force it upside down (camera in your hands). Not sure what is causing this from the 10" base but all 10" ROMs do this.
    Sound is sometimes blaringly loud, disabling the Toshiba audio enhancements may correct this if you enable them. For now I have disabled stagefright.
    Transparencies can make the notification area difficult to read.

Anyways read here to see the fun stuff XM already did to it [ROM] Favum

Thanks/credit go to dalepl for supplying the base ROM Favum was used to build on.
    Thanks/credit go to XM41907 for the Favum base and name. I opted to keep the Favum name in honor of his work.
    Huge thanks to ttmoo for putting up with my lackluster porting skills and supplying the baby thrive that was used to do this work on. The baby name is in honor of her contribution (she was was the first I saw use baby for this device, even if she didn't come up with it )

I'll make a thread for this in the next few days if it doesn't kill someone's cat.
    Last edited by pio_masaki; 03-30-2014 at 02:06 AM.
    rosalie, GrumpyOldGeek and Kyogre like this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Firstly, thank you for the first custom ROM for Thrive 7.

Quote Originally Posted by pio_masaki View Post
    You may dirty flash this over your current HC ROM. ICS ROMs will need a full wipe first.
    But how we can get root/custom recovery on stock ICS on Thrive 7? Maybe I missed some new root tool for Thrive 7?
    Last edited by Kyogre; 03-30-2014 at 01:46 AM.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyogre View Post
    Firstly, thank you for the first custom ROM for Thrive 7.

But how we can get root/custom recovery on stock ICS on Thrive 7? Maybe I missed some new root tool for Thrive 7?
    It was for users that are on a rooted ICS ROM, I assumed Paul had made one available for the baby thrive also. I should probably note that I can root ICS on the 7" thrives, and no you didn't miss a tool for it somewhere, there isn't one available.

Really it was meant to say anything but HC needed wiped, but since I haven't released JB for it that would only leave ICS being installed.
    Kyogre likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads