• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Connecting External USB Devices (USB Host OTG)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Connecting External USB Devices (USB Host OTG)

Updates:
    09/25/12 - Added confirmed CD-DVD ROM access
    09/25/12 - Added confirmed HDD with NTFS access
    09/25/12 - Added confirmed Logitech XBox Controller working

There has been a bit of discussion about this issue and some confusion also, so I have started this thread to present the facts. Hopefully we can all use this thread as a single place to share and increase our knowledge of this undocumented feature. Please correct me if any of these details are wrong and if you can think of any hacks/improvements/suggestions etc. please add to the discussion. It would also be good to extend the list of confirmed working devices.

The Facts:
    • External USB devices can be connected through the mini-USB port on the side of the Thrive 7-inch
    • To use a device, USB host mode must be enabled
    • To enable USB Host mode a mini-USB OTG adapter must be inserted into the mini-USB port of the Thrive (an OTG adapter has pin 4 shorted to pin 5 (GND) in the mini-USB plug end)
    • To use the device, 5V DC power must be provided to the connected device as well as the Thrive's mini-USB port
    • Flash drives and hard drives must be mounted manually via a command line or via a mounting utility (I have tested "USB Host Controller" and "AL Mass Storage Manager", both of which work). I have not mounted by command line, but assume it must be possible
    • The order that you plug things in seems to be important
    • My Thrive 7" is rooted so I am unsure how much of this applies to an unrooted Thrive.

Plugging order:

1. Plug your USB device (if only connecting 1) or hub into the OTG adapters' female port, DO NOT apply power to your device or hub
    2. Plug the male end of the OTG adapter into the Thrive
    3. Apply power to the Hub or Y cable

Power
    :

• Power can also be provided by a powered USB hub that provides power to the upstream port (port that connects to the Thrive). Powered hubs can also be altered to provide upstream power, and some hubs already provide upstream power.
    • Power can be provided by a USB Y cable connected to an external 5V DC power supply or a powered USB port from a computer, etc.
    • A modified or built from scratch OTG adapter can have a Y cable built into it that is connected to an external 5V DC power supply or a powered USB port from a computer, etc

Issues:

If you do not plug your devices into a hub, the port will revert to client mode as soon as you unplug your device. You will need to unplug everything and follow the plugging order listed above. Additionally, some devices will not work unless they are plugged into a hub.

Devices tested:

• Several keyboards
      All worked, but one of them would only work if plugged into a hub
    • 2 wired optical mice
      Right mouse click is not recognised that I have found. This is slightly annoying for things like VNC and Windows Remote Desktop (have to use keyboard shortcuts or menus instead)
      Mouse wheel works in some apps (works in the main Android GUI, doesn't seem to work in word processors & text editors)

• 3 Flash Drives (Jetflash 128MB, TDK 4GB, Sandisk 4GB)
      One flash drive had to be connected into a hub (TDK)

• 2.5" SATA HDD formatted to NTFS
      I was able to mount this using "USB OTG Helper"

• Samsung DVD-ROM drive (old)
      This worked fine once I installed and made some changes to the CD-DVD support update that framistat has generously provided. I hope to be able to link to an update.zip file version of the changes required soon (after someone checks my novice work).

• XBox Controller (Not XBox 360) - Logitech clone
      This had been modified to a standard USB plug for PC use. I couldn't seem to get this working initially, but since doing my internal power & OTG switch mod it seems to work.

• Playstation 2 Controller - cheap no-name clone
      This was connected through a cheap no-name PS2 to USB convertor. Both devices worked flawlessly and the controller can be used to control GUI navigation and also works in SuperGNES (the Super Nintendo emulator)

• Wacom Graphire 3 drawing tablet
      Light comes on and device is recognised by Android. Light changes colour when using the stylus, assume drivers are needed?

• Canon EOS 5D Mk II DSLR
      If plugged into a hub it can be used with DSLR remote control software.
    • Prolific PL2303 Serial to USB Adapter
      I couldn't believe this one worked. Seems the drivers are already installed on our Thrives. This one is quite handy for talking to small System On Chip devices like routers, etc.

Some things that would be cool:

• Battery powered USB hub (that passes power to the tablet) and standard OTG adapter
    • Extended driver support for a wider range of devices (including Wacom tablets!)
    • Auto-mounting of flash drives and hard drives (I think this can be done with the right configuration in the vold.vstab file? need root though)
    • OS support for NTFS drives
    • Low power output (about 100mA) from the mini-USB port so that a keyboard and mouse could be used with a standard OTG adapter without any external power (kernel hack or hardware?)
    • USB host with power through the dock port (if possible!)

Thanks to Chainfire for the awesome "Live DMESG lite" program that allowed me to see that there was actually a change happening when I had a OTG adapter connected at startup.

Thanks to SztupyY for the very useful "USB Host Controller" which provides easy access to whether host mode is activated, as well as listing attached devices and drive mounting. It also has a live dmesg window, and quick access to starting ADB over wifi and restarting the tablet. Great free software.

Thanks most of all to Dalepl for providing us all with root access.

Diagrams:

I have included a diagram below illustrating a couple of options for powering the port. I have also made a diagram for anyone wanting to make their own cable (which makes the whole setup more compact). The custom OTG Y adapter could also have a DC power socket instead of a USB plug so that you could plug in a standard 5V power adapter rather than a USB charger.

Last edited by sushumna; 03-25-2013 at 07:16 PM. Reason: fixed image links as they were broken due to site no longer existing
    slick204 and ttmoo like this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Here is a teardown of the Thrive 7-inch in the hope of sparking some interest in working out if the 7-inch might have a USB port on its' docking connector:

Thrive 7-Inch Teardown

It's interesting to note that the charging plug has pins 16 & 18 populated, but unused.

I have some info from tests that I have done that I might post up as well.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Thanks for doing all this work! How about a battery powered OTG cable? That would make things simpler too.
    Do you think ICS will change any of this?

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by slick204 View Post
    Thanks for doing all this work! How about a battery powered OTG cable? That would make things simpler too.
    Do you think ICS will change any of this?
    A battery powered OTG cable could definitely work. A small, rechargeable 5V Li-ion battery could be quite compact as it wouldn't need to provide much power.

As to any changes that ICS might bring, I'm not sure. From what I have read ICS will be a bigger change for phones moving from Gingerbread than tablets moving from Honeycomb to ICS. It seems like this might be a hardware limitation (that can possibly be fixed with a patched kernel???).

On the warranty voiding side of things, it might be possible to grab extra 5V power from somewhere else on the board? (or maybe that's just a laymans long-shot!!)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    By the way it would be awesome if someone felt like adding a Thrive 7-inch Dock teardown. I am currently working on a pinout chart for the dock connector and need as much info as possible. The dock should be quite easy to pull apart if the tablet is anything to go by.

I have managed to find that the dock detect pin is 22 on the tablet's port. This pin when shorted to GND causes a dock detect message in the dmesg log, but it seems that the tablet expects some sort of communication from the Dock at this point. I have also found some likely pins for the audio out and possible USB host pins.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Sushamna, Thanks for your hard work.
    This thread is exactly what I was looking for to see if the Thrive 7" can be used with the
    DSLR remote control software.
    I assume that you were only able to control the 5D2 when using a powered hub and not using an OTG adaptor with a power source.
    I am just trying to understand why the camera would work only with a hub.

Anyways, since my Thrive 7" is not yet rooted, I'll try it out to see if either of the software will let me mount a flash drive.
    If it does work, I'll try whether I can use my own 5D2 and let you know how it works out.
    Thrive 7" with DaleNet HTK55D.31.5.0008 Full Stock ROM (US HC 3.2.1)
    Active USB Hosting with OTG Cable + USB Y Cable + Mobile Booster (courtesy of sushumna)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ski2slow View Post
    Sushamna, Thanks for your hard work.
    This thread is exactly what I was looking for to see if the Thrive 7" can be used with the
    DSLR remote control software.
    I assume that you were only able to control the 5D2 when using a powered hub and not using an OTG adaptor with a power source.
    I am just trying to understand why the camera would work only with a hub.

Anyways, since my Thrive 7" is not yet rooted, I'll try it out to see if either of the software will let me mount a flash drive.
    If it does work, I'll try whether I can use my own 5D2 and let you know how it works out.
    Yeah, I could only get the 5D working through a hub. It is strange that some devices don't seem to work unless plugged into a hub. I am at a loss as to why that would be the case, but I am sure it is quite a simple issue. It is well worth the effort as the software for controlling the 5D is fantastic. The only thing I am waiting for is faster video update as I have bought this camera for making films and an external monitor is very handy! You can also get the 5D to mount as a mass storage device and transfer all of the photos from it's CF card. I can't remember what I did to get it working like that, it may have been connected without the hub (I will test and report back).

It might be good to beg Dalepl to cook us up a ROM that auto-mounts external flash drives & HDDs as well as providing support for NTFS drives. I am sure that with a modified ROM we should be able to mount our external drives so that we can use the built in system features to detect, mount and un-mount.

Please let us all know how you go with controlling the 5D and any experiences that you have with any other USB devices. The more that we all test this feature and share our knowledge, the more useful this device will become.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My thrive 7" couldn't mount flash usb 4GB and above, recognized but not mounted like my usb flash 2GB/fat32, I pluged direct to usb port .I tried both USB host controller and AL mass storage.Need help.thanks

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sushumna View Post
    Yeah, I could only get the 5D working through a hub. It is strange that some devices don't seem to work unless plugged into a hub. I am at a loss as to why that would be the case, but I am sure it is quite a simple issue. It is well worth the effort as the software for controlling the 5D is fantastic. The only thing I am waiting for is faster video update as I have bought this camera for making films and an external monitor is very handy! You can also get the 5D to mount as a mass storage device and transfer all of the photos from it's CF card. I can't remember what I did to get it working like that, it may have been connected without the hub (I will test and report back).

It might be good to beg Dalepl to cook us up a ROM that auto-mounts external flash drives & HDDs as well as providing support for NTFS drives. I am sure that with a modified ROM we should be able to mount our external drives so that we can use the built in system features to detect, mount and un-mount.

Please let us all know how you go with controlling the 5D and any experiences that you have with any other USB devices. The more that we all test this feature and share our knowledge, the more useful this device will become.
    Well, I was able to get my Thrive 7" to work with my 5DMarkII using the DSLR Controller app.
    However, I did end up having to get the Thrive rooted to do this.

In regards to the connection, I was able to get it to work even without the hub.
    The connection used was an OTG Adaptor & USB "Y" Cable hooked up to a mobile booster for powers.
    I was also able to add a 2m long USB cable between the Thrive and the OTG Adaptor without any issues.

I'll have to check what other USB devices can be hooked up to the Thrive 7".
    Thrive 7" with DaleNet HTK55D.31.5.0008 Full Stock ROM (US HC 3.2.1)
    Active USB Hosting with OTG Cable + USB Y Cable + Mobile Booster (courtesy of sushumna)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sogoku_vn View Post
    My thrive 7" couldn't mount flash usb 4GB and above, recognized but not mounted like my usb flash 2GB/fat32, I pluged direct to usb port .I tried both USB host controller and AL mass storage.Need help.thanks
    Can you describe in detail how you have the flash drive connected and the steps that you go through when connecting the drive.
    Does USB host controller say that host mode is active when you plug in a OTG adapter? (might need to refresh to see the change). Is the 2GB/flash32 drive mounting?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads