• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Connecting External USB Devices (USB Host OTG)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, it has a power cord in addition to the solar panel and I had it plugged in.

I bought a Y cord and hooked up a regular USB hub and got the keyboard and mouse to work. Then I disconnected it to try it with the solar USB hub just as a hub and it didn't work. Now I'm trying the set up with the Y cord and regular USB hub and I can't get it to work again.

I'll keep at it and let you know.

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sushumna View Post
    Plugging order:[/B]

1. Plug your USB device (if only connecting 1) or hub into the OTG adapters' female port, DO NOT apply power to your device or hub
    2. Plug the male end of the OTG adapter into the Thrive
    3. Apply power to the Hub or Y cable

[B]
    Using a 4g flash made by Maxell, I followed this sequence exactly and it works
    I had to use a powered hub. Disconnected the upstream cable from another laptop, put OTG cable from BobjGear on it, connected it to baby Thrive, plugged flash into the hub, gave power to the hub and bingo, all recognized and all files visible in Root Explorer. I could not get FileManager HD to see it, but haven't really looked hard into it.
    USB Host controller app also recognized the mouse which was in the hub.
    Bottom line, THANK YOU!
    Last edited by ttmoo; 08-22-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    BobjGear likes this.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ttmoo View Post
    Using a 4g flash made by Maxell, I followed this sequence exactly and it works
    Glad to hear that it helped you out.
    I have just ordered the boost convertor that I mentioned in an earlier post. Hopefully it will provide me with a fully functioning, full-sized USB host port (just like the 10-inch!). I will post complete instructions (for the adventurous) on how to make the modification if all goes well and I don't blow up my Thrive or myself...
    BobjGear likes this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Good luck!
    Thrive 7" with DaleNet HTK55D.31.5.0008 Full Stock ROM (US HC 3.2.1)
    Active USB Hosting with OTG Cable + USB Y Cable + Mobile Booster (courtesy of sushumna)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Well I have just finished testing the boost convertor and I am very impressed. I have created a temporary hook-up with a full size USB port, a switch to cut the power to the boost converter and a switch for OTG mode on/off. Everything that I have plugged into it so far has worked flawlessly. The biggest setup that I have tested was an unpowered hub with two 4GB flash drives and a mouse all plugged in at the same time, which also worked. The only thing that didn't seem to work was a 2.5inch external SATA HDD. There simply wasn't enough current to spin the drive up, but I wasn't really surprised.

I am very keen to create this current setup as a final build and it looks like it can be achieved. The power module is only 3mm thick, but it does stop me installing it in the 3G SIM slot. I have opted to remove one of the incredibly crappy speakers and install the USB port and power module in its place. The speakers are quite large internally and once removed provide ample space. Personally I tend to use my tablet with headphones so mono should be sufficient for alarms, GPS directions etc.

A much simpler build could be achieved by using the mini-USB port and one switch for power. The PCB of the power module could easy be shaved down to fit in the long cavity beside the battery next to the haptic feedback motor. The only slight drawback with a simpler build is the need for an OTG adapter. I really wanted maximum portability. I'm sure there will be a slight penalty battery wise, but most of the time that I will be using USB I will be close to power if needed.

The mini-USB port pins are quite easy to solder to with a small soldering iron and there are plenty of places to route wires.

If anyone is genuinely interested in trying their own build I will make some instructions, but I am guessing most Thrive 7 owners are probably not going to rush into voiding their warranty.

I guess this proves that our mini-USB ports could have easily been full OTG ports, and if it only cost me $18 AUD retail imagine how little it would have cost Toshiba to add this functionality into the tablet when it was first built!
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Here are some photos of the finished build. I'm reasonably pleased with how it turned out. I had plenty of room to thoroughly glue the two switches and full sized USB port, so it should be quite robust. The only thing that I would have changed about the build would have been to make a small cut in the main chassis to allow the USB port to be completely flush with the casing.

The photos:

New USB port

OTG power & OTG enable switches

Internal - full tablet

Internal - power & USB port detail
    ttmoo likes this.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I found this option for anyone who is not keen to modify their Thrive, build custom cables, etc. This adapter combined with a Lithium-Polymer battery pack such as the Panasonic QE-PL201-W that ski2slow uses would make for a great off-the-shelf setup that you can just plug in without any hassle and is still reasonably compact.

USB Host OTG adapter with external power plug

I haven't had a thorough look, so there may be other places to purchase one from. Maybe BobjGear could start stocking these for us???

Looks like the Chinese manufacturers are starting to catch up with all of the Android tablet and phone users out there that want to get this feature working easily.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sushumna View Post
    Here are some photos of the finished build. I'm reasonably pleased with how it turned out. I had plenty of room to thoroughly glue the two switches and full sized USB port, so it should be quite robust. The only thing that I would have changed about the build would have been to make a small cut in the main chassis to allow the USB port to be completely flush with the casing.

The photos:

New USB port

OTG power & OTG enable switches

Internal - full tablet

Internal - power & USB port detail
    Really cool!

Sent from my rooted Evo 4G LTE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Ads