• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times

CES 2012 - Toshiba Excite

Toshiba PR Talking about the Excite

~ Exile

Toshiba Tank - OOM + Overclocked
    HTC Evo 3D - not rooted "yet"
    Lenovo Y560 - i7q720, ATI 5730, G700

Rooting Guides: BatFish CWM Guide | Dalepl Roms | Bilgediver Root Videos

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Why-oh-why, when these interviewers ask the people being interviewed "what's the price going to be?" and they get the response "$529 for the 16GB version", why don't they raise their eyebrows and ask the second obvious question(s) "are you frikkin' crazy? that's not gonna work, is it? don't you realise you're already putting people off by even mentioning these outlandish prices?"

Surely marketing is about getting people Excited (sic) and interested in a product... great features, great looks, great ports and a great price.
    Cheers, Hippo

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Got little to do with it. If Apple can demand it, most of the rest of the marketing lemmings will follow. And, more importantly, enough people will pay it.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    IIRC...the "price" on the Thrive is about that high. No one expects to pay list price for anything to do with computers. That's why they give an outlandish price. That way, if you see it for $450-475, you're going to think that it's a deal.
    I think that it's interesting, but since I'm just getting the Thrive, I doubt that I'll be upgrading to this one anytime soon. Perhaps the one that comes after that.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Although I know that, many won't - it's not correct that "no-one expects to pay list price for anything to do with computers"; many do. I think it's na´ve of Toshiba to put this out at a price point that top-of-the-tree tablets aren't demanding. People looking forwards for their next buy might well be put off by this recommended retail price. Even if it drops significantly on the day of launch, people might be put off from waiting for the Toshiba right now... Toshiba should be whetting the appetites of prospective purchasers, not turning them off by setting crazy price expectations. A pre-announce is a marketing tool to get purchasers thinking about your stuff - not just from a technology or svelteness standpoint.

The ASUS Transformer Prime appears to be holding its list price, and more, even if that list price might be perceived as more reasonable.

If the Excite X10 doesn't perform well, then there might not even be one after that...

Anyway, I don't even have a tablet now - although I may be in the market again very soon - so I should refrain from commenting too much.
    Cheers, Hippo

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    It will eventually be on Woot.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Remove Ads

Ads