• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cheapest place to buy? And 32GB worth it over 16GB?

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cheapest place to buy? And 32GB worth it over 16GB?

From what I've gathered, BrandsmartUSA is the cheapest at $320 plus tax for the 16GB model, and although its in-store only, I have a friend in Florida that could get me one provided they have it in stock there. And considering a Nexus 7 is $250 plus tax (which is higher in my state), I'd say thats a pretty good deal. Everywhere else I've loked is at least $50 more, most of them close to $100 more...and the absolute cheapest I've seen the 32GB is right at $500.

I'm not big on overloading on apps, and can make use of the microSD slot for music and videos if necessary, so that being said, is the 32GB worth the extra $200 or so? I'm assuming space is the only difference in models.

I'm really considering selling my Thrive 10" 32GB for one, so knowing my options would help. Thanks!

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I considered buying the 32GB but then changed my mind. A 32GB micro SD card is $15-$18. For that $180 delta you could get 10 micro SD cards for the 16GB version.

Get one of these and away you go.

billpenny78 likes this.
    IPad Mini 64GB

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well my thing is that with some stuff you can't (easily) put it onto the SD card...although that holder looks pretty awesome, is that one of those generic things you can pick up off eBay or is there a specific place to buy it?

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Got if off Amazon for $5. I put large (7 GB) mkv files on these micro sd cards and they run flawlessly on the tablet. I assume you are making reference to not being able to install apps on the micro SD cards?
    IPad Mini 64GB

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Good to know. And yeah, but thinking about it, with how little I download app-wise I think I'll be fine. Also, think I might wait on the Nexus 10 announcement before deciding on the 7.7, and see how much it goes for...I might give up SAMOLED and expandable storage for a bigger screen and resolution, along with Google updates...

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    The Nexus 10 might be a great tablet but not having a micro-SD card is flat out ridiculous. Every tablet Asus makes under their own brand has one. My cousin bought the Nexus 7 16GB and eventually returned it as he was constantly deleting and adding video files to it when he hit it's memory capacity (which is only about 12GB usable). For me, I travel quite a bit both for work and pleasure and have no desire to cart along a laptop so that I can swap video files on my tablet (otherwise I could just watch them on my laptop).
    IPad Mini 64GB

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well for me, the expandable memory isn't that big of a deal, especially when I can still plug in a flash drive via a OTG cable, but that's given the device has at least 16GB to begin with. My phone is fine with that 16GB with all my music and pictures, and that's because I rarely load videos on it and don't have many apps...on a tablet, however, I'd raise that minimum to 32GB if it was not expandable (like the upcoming Nexus 7 to replace the 16GB version), because that'd give me enough space for everything basically.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    This is Google's "grand design" --- to force people to use the cloud. This is why their "devices" are coming out without external storage and they have crippled writing to external storage. Not only that, they are planning on making it more difficult for apps to even "read" external storage in future updates. They are even removing external storage support in QuickOffice after they acquired it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robilar View Post
    The Nexus 10 might be a great tablet but not having a micro-SD card is flat out ridiculous. Every tablet Asus makes under their own brand has one. My cousin bought the Nexus 7 16GB and eventually returned it as he was constantly deleting and adding video files to it when he hit it's memory capacity (which is only about 12GB usable). For me, I travel quite a bit both for work and pleasure and have no desire to cart along a laptop so that I can swap video files on my tablet (otherwise I could just watch them on my laptop).
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times

Re: Cheapest place to buy? And 32GB worth it over 16GB?

I considered buying the 32GB but then changed my mind. A 32GB micro SD card is $15-$18. For that $180 delta you could get 10 micro SD cards for the 16GB version.

If you are not an app hound like me that is perfect sense.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Twitter
    bill_penny

Re: Cheapest place to buy? And 32GB worth it over 16GB?

that's the coolest monstrosity mine eyes have ever beheld! Is that roughly credit card size?

Sent from my LG Optimus Elite using Tapatalk 2
    TOSHIBA Thrive - {DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM - ICS 4.0.4}
    LG Optimus Elite - Virgin Mobile
    Samsung Vitality - Cricket {DEAD} - Huawei Ideos U8150 (T-Mobile Comet) {DEAD}

"God bless the light that shatters the clouded mind"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads