• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

More problems: Excite Toshiba rom freezes on startup, waits and then reboots

I know my Excite is getting full of apps. I have about 1 gb storage. I turn machine on, enter password, get all these update notifications but now It freezes there and boots off and when it boots on It says no internet connection. I usually go and reconnect. Now it just freezes and reboots.

Things I have done since this problem:

1) uninstalled Norton firewall
    2) installed trend firewall
    3) on pc said to download storage analyzer but hasn't.

Any ideas.My guess is the tablet is getting full and clogged. What to do.

2. Ads

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Ya the excite just keeps booting on and off. I can't even type anything. After powering completely off I was able to type password and get into settings. It then rebooted again and I cannot operate it. It is out of warranty and Toshiba is not much help. Any ideas if I can get into the settings what to do to stop this rebooting. It gave about 3gb of memory left and one thing that caused the slowness before it really froze was tons of app notifications on it. I suppose i can delete email from the pc to free up space. I can also connect to my pc directly if I have to??? But what to look for would be my problem.

Hope you experts on the android system can answer this question. Much appreciated!!!!
    Will try to follow answers so I can get back promptly. I also have the excite pure but I don't see how that could help.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    First thing to do is try to boot the device into safe mode:

Safe Mode Procedure:
    1. Press the Power button and quickly hold down the Volume Down button.
    2. Continue to hold the Volume Down button until you enter Safe Mode

This should start the tablet without starting any downloaded apps. It almost sounds as if the device is going to need a factory reset (which will wipe all data and files on the device and reset it to a clean out-of-the-box device.

However, in safe mode you can attempt to clean up the device. It sounds as if there are a lot of apps installed and many of them want to run at the same time. There is also the possibility that a section of memory Haas gotten corrupted (factory reset will fix that).

In Safe Mode

1) Uninstall as many apps as you can
    2) Move as many data files (media, documents, etc.) as you can to external storage for backup
    3) If a lot of media was on the device, delete all files in the DCIM/.thumbnails folder
    4) Remove any active widgets
    5) Go to Settings - Apps and uncheck "show notifications" for apps
    6) In Settings - Apps clear, cache (and data if not needed) for remaining apps
    7) In Settings for Google Play Store turn off Auto-Update

Test in Safe Mode by checking mail, calendar, browser, and any other factory installed apps. If things seem fine, it's likely a 3rd party app or corrupted memory.

Reboot device. Hopefully, this may make normal boot more stable. If removing 3rd party apps that run in the background doesn't solve the problems in normal boot, factory reset its needed. If not reboot into Safe Mode and move any more stored data to external memory or PC for prep of a factory reset.

If you do a factory reset, do not allow Google to install your apps. Install them one at a time and test before adding new ones.

NOTE: To my knowledge email is not stored on the device, only the most recent headers. Therefore something email from your PC will have no affect.
    Last edited by mcarver2000; 02-13-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Will attempt that. thought i would detail a bit further. I powered down partially and powered down again. Turned on and then powered off again. I was then able to get to settings. I went to wifi and was able to turn on and apps finished getting into the tablet. Email notifications and such. I was sitting there then it just shut down and rebooted again. Also my pc is not able to get driver so I cannot get to either pc to see files. Will get to safe mode and factory reset. It looks pretty rough

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    The safe mode idea really helped. Thx. With the tablet in safe mode the device allowed me enough time to delete apps and setting/factory restore. One note while in safe mode it was downloading an app from google play??? Not sure why.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Google Play Store is not a 3rd party app, do it can run in Safe Mode. Keep us posted.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Remove Ads

Ads