• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Excite AT10-A-104 -- root or bust

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Excite AT10-A-104 -- root or bust

I just received a Toshiba AT10-A as a gift. It's running on Android 4.2.1 and Kernel 3.1.10-ge448944. Build # JOP40D.001072914.05. My mother had it for a brief period and she hated it for some reason and preferred her old Samsung over this one. Having just rooted my Motorola RAZR, I felt pretty good about getting this one done as well. I just got this thing last night, and before I read anything on the forums I gave it a go using ADB and some drivers I found through here I believe. I'm able to connect to it from my Mac and a PC, and a Windows virtual machine running on my Mac. Tried all three just to make sure that I was getting consistent errors. So here is how that was supposed to go:

1. Install USB drivers
    3. Profit.

Here is how it actually went

1. Installed USB drivers, got ADB working on all platforms, pulling/pushing/installing random files work fine
    2. spent until 3am trying to use adb to flash different boot and system img files.
    2.1. Refused to believe Toshiba would take fastboot off. Tried to put fastboot back on it.
    3. tried the Thrive apk from Toshiba that was suppsoed to downgrade to pre-removal of fastboot.
    4. tried to get into oem mo -oh wait that's also through fastboot.
    5. It's now 615 am and I installed some laser pointer game and gave it to my cat to play. She seems to like it.
    4. Tried to use bits and pieces from Motopocalypse, Motochopper, and a couple other custom apps people have written.. no luck

Please help. My eyes hurt from reading forums and from what I understand there is no way to root this thing. Tell me I'm wrong! This isnt' right. I'm having a similar issue with my RAZR where an OTA killed the ability to unlock. Rootable, but not unlockable. This is such bs. You pay for something, but they still own it? no no. that isn't how this country works, that's like buying a house and having the previous owner keep the yard!

I'm new here by the way. Hello all, and I really appreciate all the knowledge you guys have posted here.

powerful jack power
    Last edited by mcarver2000; 11-14-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: cleanup html code

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Welcome...:beer:
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you good sir Dan!

Isn't there a way to manually erase the bios on these things, like how you can take the clock battery out of a motherboard or stick a paperclip between a couple of connectors to nuke the bios? Where it might possibly work afterwards? and a step by step on how to do so?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    NP.
    Nope. Should have stopped with Motochopper.
    At best, it gives you root access, but still can't install a custom ROM or recovery due to the locked bootloader and sealime.
    (if I recall Pio_masaki's statements correctly)
    No factory images are publicly available.
    I think that your experimentation has placed you in the capable hands of Toshiba repair.
    Hope it's still under warranty... :thumbup:

(moved to Excite forum area)
    Last edited by danvee; 11-14-2013 at 02:41 PM.
    ~Dan

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well that's good news for Special Agent Jack Meower, she seems to like the laser pointer game.

My experimentation has yet to cause anything I haven't unfracked before It's still not fast, ie. 14150 on AnTuTu compared to my RAZR M which scores in the 16000's. It looks a bit sexier at least...

About rooting it- I would be happy with just having root access. That's the case with my RAZRm and with some tinkering I can install some custom roms using Safestrap and some xanax. -2.jpg-3.jpg

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by vicariously View Post
    Well that's good news for Special Agent Jack Meower, she seems to like the laser pointer game.

My experimentation has yet to cause anything I haven't unfracked before It's still not fast, ie. 14150 on AnTuTu compared to my RAZR M which scores in the 16000's. It looks a bit sexier at least...

About rooting it- I would be happy with just having root access. That's the case with my RAZRm and with some tinkering I can install some custom roms using Safestrap and some xanax. -2.jpg-3.jpg
    Since you appear to be brave, send me a PM, I may have a little something to try.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have Toshiba Excite AT10PE-A-103 and I am looking to root it too.
    I have tried a lot of different ways with no success what so ever.
    So pio_masaki if you have something on your mind may be I am willing to try it also.
    Care to share?

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by nhsqr View Post
    I have Toshiba Excite AT10PE-A-103 and I am looking to root it too.
    I have tried a lot of different ways with no success what so ever.
    So pio_masaki if you have something on your mind may be I am willing to try it also.
    Care to share?
    As I mentioned, send me a PM about it, I'd rather not post up experimental stuff for random people to try like what happened with the ICS and the root tool.
    danvee and rosalie like this.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Did anyone have success with this? I have a AT10LE-A-108 and would love to get root just so I can use autorun manager and delete a few system apps that can't be disabled!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Did you do as instructed in the post above yours?
    ~Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads