• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What's the word on the new Excite PRO?

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times

What's the word on the new Excite PRO?

Hi,
    I see Toshiba has the new Excite put up on their web page. They do look impressive and I'm wodering if it is time to get my wife excited about my old Thrive...that way I can get myself the new Excite... :-)
    Or what do you think about the new ASUS Transformer coming out in Fall???

Any thoughts ... it is time for a new toy.

Jens
    Thanks dnargsiefil
    __________________________________________________ _
    Toshiba Thrive Tab 32Gb w/32Gb SDHC card (Rooted,Giddy Gerbil U7.6)

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm waiting to see what Samsung is going to come out with. I want a tablet with an unlocked bootloader that is easy to root. Toshiba has shown that they are unwilling to let their customers do what they want to do with their own property. Until that changes, Toshiba doesn't get any more of my money.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    While Samsung may not come with a locked bootloader, what I see for the near future from them doesn't look as impressive as the Excite Pro.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by mcarver2000 View Post
    While Samsung may not come with a locked bootloader, what I see for the near future from them doesn't look as impressive as the Excite Pro.
    Yeah, but the Excite Pro is locked up tight, sealime and all, something to consider for users who care about such things. Is it worth losing Toshiba or Asus build quality for Samsung's openness and pricing, or Asus being open and better (usually) build quality, performance will all be roughly the same, pricing probably close, but higher for Asus. In the end Sammy or Asus can be made to perform more tasks better and faster then the Excite Pro as it can't be expanded or customized at all.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    I was referring to hardware specs between the Toshiba and Samsung's new tablets. I think the Excite soundly trumps the Samsung releases in this respect. I fully understand the pros & cons of a locked/unlocked device. Even tweaking my THRiVE, the Excite SE beats it due to the hardware differences.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by mcarver2000 View Post
    I was referring to hardware specs between the Toshiba and Samsung's new tablets. I think the Excite soundly trumps the Samsung releases in this respect. I fully understand the pros & cons of a locked/unlocked device. Even tweaking my THRiVE, the Excite SE beats it due to the hardware differences.
    What about the Asus though? He did mention it in the OP, which is why I included them. Toshiba vs Asus is a hard battle, and since Toshiba costs as much as Asus in most cases, Asus would be the winner given they usually sport current generation Tegra stuff too. In the end what will make a difference is that Asus is fully open and willingly accepts the developer community, and the modding community, where Toshiba ignores us. They also tend to offer more/better accessories, such as dock keyboard with batteries, Toshiba never released anything like that, at least that I'm aware of. Well and maybe users prefer the Asus logo to Toshiba, or the look of one over the other, which is always possible.

Throw in Samsung against those two, performance wise, build wise, yes they tend to fall behind in some areas, maybe, but being open also speaks for volumes for some users, like me, I'll look at Samsung before Toshiba for anything ever again, and will likely look at Asus for my next tablet in like...4 years when I can afford an Asus tablet lol

As always its a bunch of opinion the OP may or may not care about, I won't immediately shoot down the Pro for its locked status, but just remind that it is, if that isn't an issue, the Pro is as awesome tablet. I like my AT300, even locked up, it offers good performance (that COULD be better in some areas, but that won't happen) in a sleek package, and even locked and unrooted is a perfectly awesome tablet, taking root off the table. I'd imagine the Pro is a much more epic tablet then the AT300 is lol
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    As one who is rooted on the Thrive, my personal experience is that if a device does what it advertises and what people expect, rooting is more for people who want to "play" and most users simply don't care. My main reason for rooting was simply because the Thrive DIDN'T do what it advertised. It didn't use external storage properly, it didn't tether properly, it didn't let you delete Kaspersky, etc. Had it done those simple tasks, I wouldn't be rooted now. Not being able to delete pre-installed apps on my new Razr HD is still an irritant, but it's only 2 apps that are easily disabled, so it's not a big deal and not worth rooting at this point. It probably helps that it doesn't have a 3G app limit too.

Edit: I should mention that I assumed the Thrive would do all those things, so I'll be more wary of the next purchase. I still don't like what you have to go through to print things and saving emails is still lacking. I don't know what's so hard about saving emails like I can on my laptop. I don't use my email program/app as a file manager like others do.

Oh, and I don't see JB on the Razr as being any great improvement over ICS on the Thrive. But, the only fair comparison would be to a Razr with ICS. So far I haven't see any new options, but I sure do like the 4G speed.

Cheers, Dave
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 07-14-2013 at 10:09 AM.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The only problem with Samsung at this point is that their high end tablets specs are all still rumors.

Samsung´s own UAPROF confirmes high-range tablet SM-P900 | SamMobile

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Thanks for all the good input... I have come to enjoy the customizing of the device, having the thrive rooted and with a backed ROM was nice. Same as with my GNex, still the original, but putting on the Sourcery ROM was the best I ever done and now I'm looking at other devices and have a hard time letting go of some of the customizations I come to love and also other people take notice... when they look at my phone.
    Now having my Thrive rooted and customized is great. I agree with DoubleDAZ, I don't use the tablet to the extend that it needed rooted... but I just love the opportunities.

I have been looking at the anouncements of the new Asus and spec-wise they look the same, except for the 32GB version being standard on the Pro. The price of the Toshiba being $500 doesn't seem crazy. However somewhere I read about a keyboard/ stand combo for the Pro, but can't find it et on the Toshiba side.

So it is just nice to bridge the time until I finally pull the trigger with some tech talk.

On the style side, I don't know if I like the round corners of the Pro...
    Thanks dnargsiefil
    __________________________________________________ _
    Toshiba Thrive Tab 32Gb w/32Gb SDHC card (Rooted,Giddy Gerbil U7.6)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I bought it 2days ago do not know how to root it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads