• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Shutting down running apps??/ Permissions??

All my apps are running all the time. Is it still unwise to use an app that shuts down processes that are running in the background. I've shut them down and looked again and there up and running even though I haven't done anything. I've read where it can disrupt the app or something. Also I always see these permissions granted complaints on amazon feedback. They complain and complain. What's the concern and how can you tell one app from the other. I have a firewall on the tablet is that doing anything?

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Generally, Android manages those apps pretty well.
    Some believe that app killers cause more harm than good.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Android is usually very good with memory management. Sometimes I need to maximize available memory, like for a couple of games I play that need every byte they can get. I'll swipe apps off the "last used" list, which doesn't really stop them, then I'll run Fast Reboot to clear out memory.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tes.fastreboot
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    How do you figure all your apps are running all the time? Have you checked settings/apps/running? The ones listed are the only ones running and then only because you are using them actively or in the background

Good examples of background running are Facebook and your email app. If you have Facebook set to notify you of new entries, it will run a service that routinely checks for new entries. The same with email if you have it set to check for new mail periodically.

If you "kill" them, they will simply restart because that is how you have them set. There really isn't much you can or should do as long as various options are set the way you want them and battery life seems normal for your use.

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    There are many apps that think themselves smart enough to think they need to run in the background. I have had some that I rarely use launch themselves all the time. The good thing is that they generally get taken care of as Android manages the app memory heap. However, what Android doesn't do is managed CPU usage. That's when one may need to kill a process/app. However doing, so may not keep it from turning itself back on.

The apps that sit in the background and kill specific apps use memory & CPU. They also eat battery juice. Whether they are useful or not, depends on one's device environment. They can be useful for some apps that launch on their own. But, they can also be detrimental if they are set to monitor core background services.

Firewalls will only work on rooted devices.

Anti-Permission Religious Zealots on Amazon App Store reviews, they need to be taken with a grain of salt. Checking the same app for reviews in the Play Store may not turn up the same concerns.
    Last edited by mcarver2000; 05-20-2013 at 08:46 AM.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Remove Ads

Ads