• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Are there any other nice quad core tablets out there

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pio_masaki View Post
    I laugh when I see that sometimes...a quad core is not always faster then a dual core and a dual core is not always slower then a quad core.

Don't be so fast to dismiss a dual core unit until you research what that CPU is truly capable of. A dual core that does twice the work per cycle then a quad core will be just as fast as that quad core. Well faster in most cases.

Compare a system with an i3 vs a system with a core quad, bet you can't tell the core quad has twice the cores.

My point is don't dismiss something like the n10 based on its core count, it runs fast and pushes that massive pixel count very well, if it lacks other options, well that's your call. Just saying research deeper then core count, research the cores themselves.

Tapatalked from my HTC DNA - ReVolt
    I don't know but are you saying that most of todays i3 desktop systems perform better than 1 or 2 year older quad core systems?

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. :thumbup:
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    As well as the AT200 Excite. So one does have to be careful with the Excites. The are basically 3 versions out there (excluding the 7.7" & 13" which are LE's).

Excite (AT200 TI OMAP 4430, 1.2GHz dual-core)
    Excite LE (AT300 LE Nvidia Tegra 3 quad-core)
    Excite SE (AT300 SE Nvidia Tegra 3 quad-core w/ reduced hardware features)

Quote Originally Posted by benonidoni View Post
    All Toshiba Excite tablets at305 are quad core. The Toshiba Thrive is a duo core.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    All Toshiba Excite tablets at305 are quad core. The Toshiba Thrive is a duo core.
    All Excite AT305 10" tablets are quad core, but not all Excite 10" tablets are AT305, or quad core. Specifically, the Excite AT205 10" tablet (for $199 at Ben's outlet) is a Ti OMAP dual core. Whether that's good or bad, I can't say....

Sent from my AT270 using Tapatalk HD

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    I laugh when I see that sometimes...a quad core is not always faster then a dual core and a dual core is not always slower then a quad core.

Don't be so fast to dismiss a dual core unit until you research what that CPU is truly capable of. A dual core that does twice the work per cycle then a quad core will be just as fast as that quad core. Well faster in most cases.

Compare a system with an i3 vs a system with a core quad, bet you can't tell the core quad has twice the cores.

My point is don't dismiss something like the n10 based on its core count, it runs fast and pushes that massive pixel count very well, if it lacks other options, well that's your call. Just saying research deeper then core count, research the cores themselves.

There is a lot of mythology in computing. I had the impression when the N10 was announced that Google had somehow screwed up by making it a dual core. Fortunately, I had a friend explain to me what pio just described.

People think old technical guys (not pio, he's not old) are crotchety when they seem to argue about how many angels fit on the head of a pin, but they've seen people disappointed when they expect great things from 'features' like quad core, which in some cases are marketing ploys and in others are technical improvements. Sometimes you get speed increases, but it depends on technical aspects like those pio mentioned, as well as how a device is used. Running a single app on a quad core may be slower than on a dual core, while running many apps at the same time may (or may not) be faster (or different in other ways) than on a dual core.

Then again, sometimes old technical guys are just crotchety.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    I don't know but are you saying that most of todays i3 desktop systems perform better than 1 or 2 year older quad core systems?
    Yes, but not the system, the CPU. The i3 can do more work per cycle faster then a core quad can, so dual core is faster then quad core.

The n10 is the same way, vs a tegra3 device it isn't going to be any slower in most usage cases, can you really say you can multitask it so hard the faster dual core would lose to the slower quad core?

Not trying to push a device here, just saying deeper research should be done before dismissing a dual core device that is faster then quite a few quad core devices, that's all. Would you buy a quad core machine that was priced the same as an i3 knowing the i3 was faster just because it has 2 more cores?

HeSaid likes this.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    In agreement with Pio...
    I have an HP folio ultrabook (i3 mobile processor). Repeated runs on speed-battle.com yield an average score of 118

On my Nexus 10 repeated runs yeild an average score of 155 using Google Chrome and even higher with Firefox (226) but Android Firefox is awful.

My Thrive with Pio's JellyBean, gets an average of 42 with Chrome and 90 with Firefox.

Do those scores indicate performance? They surely do!! My Nexus 10 feels faster, loads pages faster and scrolls pages faster (perhaps because I do not have flashplayer on my tablet).

I will tell anyone that the Nexus 10 is a magnificent tablet, and, for my needs, beats everything else. Period! No matter how good it might be, though, I would not have bought it were I not able to root it. I have NOT rooted, and see no reason to do so because there is no crap to remove. It's pure Goog.
    --
    Neal
    pio_masaki likes this.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Yes, but not the system, the CPU. The i3 can do more work per cycle faster then a core quad can, so dual core is faster then quad core.

The n10 is the same way, vs a tegra3 device it isn't going to be any slower in most usage cases, can you really say you can multitask it so hard the faster dual core would lose to the slower quad core?

Not trying to push a device here, just saying deeper research should be done before dismissing a dual core device that is faster then quite a few quad core devices, that's all. Would you buy a quad core machine that was priced the same as an i3 knowing the i3 was faster just because it has 2 more cores?

Well, I admit it. I might have. I bought an i7 Toshiba laptop 'cuz I thought that 7 was more than 3, and because quad was more than dual, and $460 seemed cheap and 2.4 Ghz, bursting to 3.4 Ghz sounded fast. Since it was a Toshiba, I figured that, while it might clock a little slower, it would be well engineered.

I'm a programmer who buys a tablet every year and a laptop every 8 years. Hardware specs might as well be written in Cyrillic (which is kinda like 7337, or however you spell LEET in leet, because of the backward Es). See...I have a mental block or something.

Okay. I'm a dufus. I actually thought Win8 would be a good thing. -and technically, it's solid, but I get whiplash in my brain trying to do easy things that I don't have to think about in XP. Another case of research failure. Windows 8 has to be better than Windows 7, right? After all, it's newer. (Hint-it's also an even numbered version of Windows. Most odd numbered versions are solid. Most even numbered versions suck. That's a freebie....)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    I would do the same TF.

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads