• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Thinking of maybe getting an Excite. Any comments as to if they're worth it?

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    I've got an N7 as well.
    Had it rooted in 5 minutes, and a custom ROM/kernel 5 minutes later.
    No issues with the micro USB jack in the tablet, but the cable plug itself has been problematic. Had one split.
    Problem is that you can't buy just the cable. Google/ASUS will only sell the cable with the AC adapter for $25, or will warranty it only if I send back everything including the tablet.
    Same story here, even built some stuff for it. Never had a single hardware issue with, USB port, cable, anything. Had to sell it for diapers, miss that thing

Tapatalked from my HTC DNA - ReVolt
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

2. Ads

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaklands View Post

I cannot speak for the Excite as I have not tried one. However, the lack of being able to root the device would be a deal killer for me. One last thing. The Nexus gets the latest releases from Google so that is a nice plus. You would have to wait for Toshiba to do updates for the Excite and their past history on keeping up with updates is very much lacking.
    This isn't a question to start a flame war. It's also not really a question that involves the Thrive, because with OTA ICS, root is required.

Other than backups, not waiting for updates & (if you're me) making removable storage writable, what kind of tweaks do you need that require root. I know that many people say it's all about the freedom to have options, but on a tablet that is *good out of the box*, I'm wondering what kind of options you find so important that not having root is a deal killer. The capabilities that I listed may be enough reason to require root. If not, what other things are you looking for? Is it the fear of being stranded on a ROM like the OTA ICS, or are there other capabilities that you need, or is there some other situation that you're trying to prevent?

For example, how does the N7 get improved with root?

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pio_masaki View Post
    Same story here, even built some stuff for it. Never had a single hardware issue with, USB port, cable, anything. Had to sell it for diapers, miss that thing

Tapatalked from my HTC DNA - ReVolt
    Maybe you can get an Excite soon and see what you were really missing.

I can't tell the future. I just work there. -Dr. Who

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    The Nexus 7 needs to be rooted to use USB OTG fully. Otherwise, there's a $3 app to read external storage, but not write to it.

On the Thrive, I can't live without Titanium Backup, and lately just for one game, believe it or not. Eternity Warriors 2 has notoriously bad odds with upgrading weapons and armor at high levels, and failure means losing gems that could have taken hours to acquire. I have such bad luck that 20% success is more like 5% for me. What I realized after the first failure is that I can make a backup with TB before any attempts, and if an attempt fails or gives me a stupidly low intensity, I can restore the data and try again. Carbon doesn't require root, but I don't see that it can make a data backup on the tablet that can be restored quickly.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Good questions, TF. If a tablet can fully use external storage and tether to my Droid for wifi, I'd be hard pressed to complain about lack of root capability. I like being able to backup with TB, but that's not a deal breaker for me. I also like being able to uninstall pre-loaded junk, but again not a deal breaker.

That said, I just don't understand the reasoning behind locking things. That doesn't stop any piracy, etc. All it does is make those folks buy a different device and makes life a little more difficult for the rest of us.

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Wasn't the deal with Carbon that it backed up to the desktop?
    How did a restore work?
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Carbon is now Helium. One can backup to PC, cloud, or internal storage. Restoring from the cloud requires the paid version. The disadvantage comes from the fact that Helium only works if enabled via ADB (at each reboot). If one is rooted, the latter is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    Wasn't the deal with Carbon that it backed up to the desktop?
    How did a restore work?
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Thanks, MC2K, I knew that I'd remembered a 'twist' to the restoration on a non rooted device.. :thumbup:
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Ads