• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Thinking of maybe getting an Excite. Any comments as to if they're worth it?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    If you want to get something else, contact Paul or Pio to get rolled back to HC so you can root and install a custom ROM. If it's the same keyboard lag I experienced with Toshiba's ICS, it'll not only go away, but whatever ROM you put on will run better than Toshiba's.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    KevinSmithESQ
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    I would definitely hold off for the i7, but it's your call.

Good luck with the meds.

Cheers, Dave
    Hahaha! I was thinking the same thing. Too bad I need a new tablet lol. I don't know tho, if I get it, I'll feel guilty for wasting the points if I don't like it, but chances are, I will kick myself for not getting it lol. They had iPads up there a few days ago, but it appears they have taken them down. They had a 32gb iPad for 4500 miles. I'm not an apple fan by any means, but the price is right
    Maybe I'll hold out for something bigger, like a fancy surround sound or something. I've already spent 1000s of air miles on some stuff. Got a nice range finder for hunting, and some camping lanterns for my trip in 2 weeks, along with a nice Ferrino backpack.
    As for the meds, it's just another one I am trying until it runs out of juice. This one is half the price than the last one, that cost me just shy of $4000 a month. I'm just glad my provincial pharma care plan covers it all, I just had to pay a deductible, and even that, the drug company covered all of it for me anyway lol. I still get the air miles on top of my meds being paid for

And Panda, I am already running Exalted Elephant on my Thrive. I have had no luck even with the custom ROMs ever since that damn ICS ota update
    Last edited by ShadNuke; 05-16-2013 at 09:40 PM.
    What's that? Your iPad battery is low? Here, just plug into my Thrive.... Resistance is futile!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Did you do a clean flash? That would eliminate the possibility of software, leading me to wonder if your Thrive's touch panel is on the blink. You could try reseating connectors inside.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    KevinSmithESQ

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    Did you do a clean flash? That would eliminate the possibility of software, leading me to wonder if your Thrive's touch panel is on the blink. You could try reseating connectors inside.
    Yea I do a complete wipe every time. And then reinstall all new apps. Never back up, or auto app install. If I reinstall, I always do it right from the beginning, never back anything up. Most of what is on here is games, so a loss isn't a big deal. My novel is on my SD card in a notepad file, and I store all my books on there also.
    What's that? Your iPad battery is low? Here, just plug into my Thrive.... Resistance is futile!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadNuke View Post

Yea I do a complete wipe every time. And then reinstall all new apps. Never back up, or auto app install. If I reinstall, I always do it right from the beginning, never back anything up. Most of what is on here is games, so a loss isn't a big deal. My novel is on my SD card in a notepad file, and I store all my books on there also.
    I recently had to do a restore on dalepl's rooted ROM because something got hosed even though I don't install anything that hasn't been recommended here. Since the restore, everything has been running great, but I didn't reinstall all the apps I had before. I should note that whatever was hosed was so bad that CWM couldn't even do a backup even though it works fine now. I had tried clearing cache, dalvik, etc., and that did not help. I thought about reflashing the ROM, but decided to try the restore first. I also didn't do an auto restore with TB, but I did restore app data on an individual basis as I reinstalled the apps I wanted to keep. I'll probably never figure out what caused the problem and looking through the list of apps I didn't reinstall hasn't provided any clues.

On another note, my wife is still using HC and doesn't install any apps without checking with me. Given her mom's current condition, she hasn't been online long enough to do more than check email and the forums, certainly not download anything. However, all of a sudden yesterday, Avast reported SU as malware while she was catching up. Not sure exactly what she had been doing (reading email, checking a forum, looking at Pinterest) , but I had to delete and reinstall SU to get past the Avast warning.

I guess my point is to try a restore/reflash before using your mileage on something it doesn't sound like you're sure about. I was considering switching to an Ativ before I did my restore, but I'm just not ready to make that switch yet and the restore fixed things so I don't need to at the moment.

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    KevinSmithESQ
    I've tried everything, i think it's coming gotten to hardware. Something went wrong with the ota ics update. It hadn't been right since i installed an app somewhere. I was not able to find the culprit. Personally, I want a galaxy note 10.1. I have the phablet already, and I love my note! I'm still debating between the Excite or the Nexus 7. I'd like a new one for my trip in 2 weeks, and if I order today, I should have it before I leave. I just can't make up my bloody mind! lol

Sent from my SGH-I717R using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ShadNuke; 05-17-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Decisions, decisions! I guess we should be happy we have to make them, a lot of folks don't have that luxury. I'm not sure what I'd do. I'd hate to spend the mileage on something I don't really want, but the 2 week deadline is looming. I'm sure you'll make the best of whatever you decide.

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    I bought a Nexus 7 for my son. The only problem you need to look out for is the mini usb plug used for charging. My son had that torn up within 2 days and we had to send it off. We have had no more problems since then. My son knows now to be very careful with the plug. It is a known issue with the Nexus. I will say it is very easy to root. I did this to have more flexibility in keeping my son off the internet and out of certain programs such as settings. It is very responsive and runs quite well.

I cannot speak for the Excite as I have not tried one. However, the lack of being able to root the device would be a deal killer for me. One last thing. The Nexus gets the latest releases from Google so that is a nice plus. You would have to wait for Toshiba to do updates for the Excite and their past history on keeping up with updates is very much lacking.
    Happy Thrive user running CM10 Jellybean.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    I own the Excite SE and like it alot. I would like to root it, but it has run flawlessly since I got it. I would recommend getting the Excite SE. The screen is great and sound is fine. Response is smooth and overall it is great out of the box.
    Last edited by dalepl; 05-17-2013 at 12:19 PM.
    mcarver2000 likes this.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaklands View Post
    I bought a Nexus 7 for my son. The only problem you need to look out for is the mini usb plug used for charging. My son had that torn up within 2 days and we had to send it off. We have had no more problems since then. My son knows now to be very careful with the plug. It is a known issue with the Nexus. I will say it is very easy to root.
    I've got an N7 as well.
    Had it rooted in 5 minutes, and a custom ROM/kernel 5 minutes later.
    No issues with the micro USB jack in the tablet, but the cable plug itself has been problematic. Had one split.
    Problem is that you can't buy just the cable. Google/ASUS will only sell the cable with the AC adapter for $25, or will warranty it only if I send back everything including the tablet.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads