• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cannot get Excite AT30x off MUTE!

I have a 1 year old Ecite 10. Stamped "AT300" on the case. I have had sound before (Mp4 movies, MP3 music, keypad touches, etc), but today there is no sound whatsoever.
    1. Volume rocker switch on side of case turned UP all the way.
    2. Settings - Sound - shows "Volumes" on the right of the display. Press Volumes and I see three "volume bars":
    Music, video, games, etc - slider all the way to the right....but an "/" over the speaker icon on the left.
    Notifications - slider all the way to the right....but an "/" over the icon on the left.
    Alarms - slider midway to the right....NO "/" over the icon on the left. I have no idea what Alarms means.....

I basically use the Tablet for only one application, Songbook Pro, which doesn't make use of the speakers. There must be some secret swtich or button or setting that causes this device to go into "Mute" mode that is not listed in the PDF user file. Last time I remember using something with sound was playing an MP4 movie a few months ago.

Please help me turn OFF the Mute and I promiss to only decrease volume by the volume rocker switch! I remember when I first got the Excite the WiFi quit working......returned it to the dealer who showed me a secret button to press on the case. ......

....Ah, shoot......that's the one, what volume, not Wifi.....the secret slider switch....red for NO SOUND, not red FOR SOUND.

2. Ads

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I'm sure you've got it by now but for others just go to settings and volume and then adjust from there.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Same Issue Here - Please read

Hi there, I have just been asked to look at someone Toshiba At-300 tablet which has the same exact issue.

If you go to settings - sound

You can see that the first two options are muted and adjusting the volume sliders doesn't chage the fact they are muted.
    Adjusting the Alarm sounds emmits sound so we know there isnt an issue with the speakers.

The device feeatures a Multi Function button - which can be changed in Display settings.

On option - Lock Screen rotation the button can be slid to enable screen rotation or slid back to disbale and this works perfectly.

Setting the button to Mute speakers - doesn't then allow the button to Mute/UnMute speakers.

This seems a fairly major bug in the software, and we don't see any other option but to factory reset the device.

If anyone has solved this please advise.

Many Thanks
    Rob
    Last edited by danvee; 02-22-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    907 times

Re: Cannot get Excite AT30x off MUTE!

In Settings - Sounds - Volume moving the top slider is supposed to unmute all sound. It sounds as if you tried the other method of holding the "-" volume rocker all the way down for a few seconds, let loose, click "-" one time, and then start clicking the "+" to unmute & increase volume. I also assume you have rebooted the device.

You also may want to try an app/widget than has "mute" as an option. I use Volume in Notification, use Up button to injure if not muted by app. Mute All also seems to do the trick.

If all of the above doesn't do the trick, always try wiping the cache before doing a factory reset/restore. It's possible that your issue is caused by an app.

Go into Recovery (after powering down, hold the Volume + and press the power switch until the unit fires up).

Volume rocker to navigate & Power button to select

Select the large icon with the open box and arrow (don't panic when you see the Andy Android down for the count)

Wipe/clear cache partition

Reboot
    Last edited by mcarver2000; 02-22-2013 at 05:15 AM.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Display - Multi function switch?

Quote Originally Posted by huh2 View Post
    I have a 1 year old Ecite 10. Stamped "AT300" on the case. I have had sound before (Mp4 movies, MP3 music, keypad touches, etc), but today there is no sound whatsoever.
    1. Volume rocker switch on side of case turned UP all the way.
    2. Settings - Sound - shows "Volumes" on the right of the display. Press Volumes and I see three "volume bars":
    Music, video, games, etc - slider all the way to the right....but an "/" over the speaker icon on the left.
    Notifications - slider all the way to the right....but an "/" over the icon on the left.
    Alarms - slider midway to the right....NO "/" over the icon on the left. I have no idea what Alarms means.....

I basically use the Tablet for only one application, Songbook Pro, which doesn't make use of the speakers. There must be some secret swtich or button or setting that causes this device to go into "Mute" mode that is not listed in the PDF user file. Last time I remember using something with sound was playing an MP4 movie a few months ago.

Please help me turn OFF the Mute and I promiss to only decrease volume by the volume rocker switch! I remember when I first got the Excite the WiFi quit working......returned it to the dealer who showed me a secret button to press on the case. ......

....Ah, shoot......that's the one, what volume, not Wifi.....the secret slider switch....red for NO SOUND, not red FOR SOUND.
    Have you tried to check Settings/Display/Multi function switch? There's 3 options in there, the first to "Lock screen orientation", the second to "Lock hardware buttons (Power/Volume)" and the third to "Mute sound"...

Ads