• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Seems like my Toshiba excite takes a long time to charge compared to the thrive?

Maybe I have a lot of resources running in backround or something but the excite seems to be taking a very long time to fully charge compared to the thrive. The excite is 16gb while the thrive is 8gb. I could fully charge the thrive in an hour compared to the excite 3 hours or so.

Was it the size of the excite that caused the crummy ac power supply compared to the thrive?

2. Ads

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by benonidoni View Post
    Maybe I have a lot of resources running in backround or something but the excite seems to be taking a very long time to fully charge compared to the thrive. The excite is 16gb while the thrive is 8gb. I could fully charge the thrive in an hour compared to the excite 3 hours or so.

Was it the size of the excite that caused the crummy ac power supply compared to the thrive?
    The Excite uses the USB port for charging, right?

The Thrive has a 19v 1.5+ amp (~ 30 watts) power supply, which is possible because it uses a "real" barrel-type power connector (4.0mm x 1.7mm), rather than USB.

USB is 5 volts and normally about 2 amps MAX, so that's only 10 watts. USB also has to be oriented just the right way to plug in, and isn't rated for as many insertion/removal cycles.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I've noticed that it takes longer to charge the Excite as well. I don't think it even charges if I plug the charger into a USB port.
    Running an Excite 10 (AT 300)

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I'm referring to the ac adaptor. Really the major flaw of the excite tablet. They have such a nice charger for the thrive why they chose this idea on the excite baffles me.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kadius View Post
    I've noticed that it takes longer to charge the Excite as well. I don't think it even charges if I plug the charger into a USB port.
    I think I saw a post to that effect somewhere else. It probably does into data mode when using a USB port on a computer.
    But it's also possible that an Excite won't charge using a generic USB power adapter.
    Some devices do not; they require a certain signal on one of the lines to actually charge, without which all the adapter will do is power the device, not charge it.

Quote Originally Posted by benonidoni View Post
    I'm referring to the ac adaptor. Really the major flaw of the excite tablet. They have such a nice charger for the thrive why they chose this idea on the excite baffles me.
    They chose that because it's what most of the other tablets and almost all smartphones use. Charging via a microUSB port of the device is almost a standard. The downside is the power output limit of USB is marginal for a larger deivce like a tablet.

Conversely there has always been too many different sizes of barrel connectors. There's not even a standard size for the pin, so that means there's more than one size that have the same barrel OD.

I've seen other people complain they had to get a "special power adapter" to charge the Thrive in their car, because it uses the barrel connector.
    Personally I prefer the barrel connector.
    Last edited by GoneNomad; 10-10-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneNomad View Post
    I think I saw a post to that effect somewhere else. It probably does into data mode when using a USB port on a computer.
    But it's also possible that an Excite won't charge using a generic USB power adapter.
    Some devices do not; they require a certain signal on one of the lines to actually charge, without which all the adapter will do is power the device, not charge it.
    Well, the Excite doesn't show up as a connected device on my PC when I plug it into a USB port. Data mode or not, it should have a pin or two dedicated to power and should charge regardless.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1932 times
    The Excite will not charge via the USB connection to the USB port. You have to use the power cable that came with it. The Excite should show up as a device when connected to your PC via the USB port. If not there is an issue. You should be able to access the internal and external memory via Explorer in Windows.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

- Click Here to Support My Work -

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dalepl View Post
    The Excite will not charge via the USB connection to the USB port. You have to use the power cable that came with it. The Excite should show up as a device when connected to your PC via the USB port. If not there is an issue. You should be able to access the internal and external memory via Explorer in Windows.
    I think there's some misunderstanding regarding this whenever I post about it. I'm talking about the charging cable. When the charging cable is plugged into the Excite, then into a USB port of a PC, it doesn't charge. Heck, it doesn't do anything. It doesn't show up on my computer as a device.

Actually, when the charging cable is plugged into the USB port of my PC, it says "charging", but the battery icon doesn't have the charge symbol nor does it actually charge (I can leave it for an hour and it's at the same battery). It just doesn't seem to lose charge.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1932 times
    Does it charge when put into the adapter? I really never tried charging via a USB port on my PC. The current level may be too low to charge the device, but as you said might be able to maintain the current level. As for it showing up on your PC as a device, it wont.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

- Click Here to Support My Work -

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Your average USB port will provide up to .5 amps.
    The Toshiba charger will provide up to 2.0 amps.

It is reasonable to expect slow charging or no charging when the current is reduced to 1/4 of what is expected.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Toshiba Excite 10 AT300

Ads