• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

SD card issues are a mess, need a sticky topic on solutions

I bought the Excite to display files chopped from my windows and Linux boxes, as well as because of the sd card slot. What I am finding is that almost no thought has gone into making this work for the end user. Also, answers on this forum regarding sd issues have been only mildly useful.

I think what is needed is a sticky topic to cover the SD card issues.

For example, if exFAT is the only file system supported on SD cards on the Excite, then Linux can't exchange files via SD card with the excite. That is a deal breaker for me. If this is in fact the case, it should be written in large bold letters that the excite is not compatible with Linux at this time. Let me know, I'll sell my excite and go buy an Acer.

I can read a vfat card from my excite, but, permissions are screwed up and I can't write to the card from the excite.

Does FAT32 work with the excite? I see multiple answers. I'm reformatting my exFAT sdxc card to FAT32 to test it out, but, why am I having to do so much work just to get an sd card working?

Can't we simplify this experience a little with a sticky topic?

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 2

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I bought the Excite to display files chopped from my windows and Linux boxes, as well as because of the sd card slot. What I am finding is that almost no thought has gone into making this work for the end user. Also, answers on this forum regarding sd issues have been only mildly useful.

I think what is needed is a sticky topic to cover the SD card issues.

For example, if exFAT is the only file system supported on SD cards on the Excite, then Linux can't exchange files via SD card with the excite. That is a deal breaker for me. If this is in fact the case, it should be written in large bold letters that the excite is not compatible with Linux at this time. Let me know, I'll sell my excite and go buy an Acer.

I can read a vfat card from my excite, but, permissions are screwed up and I can't write to the card from the excite.

Does FAT32 work with the excite? I see multiple answers. I'm reformatting my exFAT sdxc card to FAT32 to test it out, but, why am I having to do so much work just to get an sd card working?

Can't we simplify this experience a little with a sticky topic?

I don't have any problems using SD cards on the Excite. I just put them in, and they write and read. Easy as butter. I can move them to my Windows PC and read and write them also. I don't do anything special with them. My Excite 10 uses big sd cards, and my Excite 7.7 uses little sd cards. Both work fine.

What is "chopping a file"? Maybe you should not be chopping files? I COPY or MOVE files and that works fine. Maybe chopping leaves rough edges?
    Last edited by Excite; 09-16-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    M. Excite

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I own a european AT200 (which is identical to the Excite 10 LE i think).
    I can confirm that "normally" 3rd party apps can't write to microSDs when they're formatted with FAT32. I formatted a microSD with exFAT and could write to it on my tablet with 3rd party apps.

Writing/Deleting files with the Toshiba file manager does always work.

There's also a way for app authors to "circumvent" this behaviour. The author of the file managing app "Total Commander" posted the needed code and also made a beta version available (for test purposes) which can write to sdcards when normal write access is not possible.
    See this post in his support forum
    http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.ph...r=asc&start=15

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Downgraded from 64gB sdxc to 32gB sdhc with FAT32 filesystem and everything works. I can exchange files between windows 7, Linux, and Android. I formatted the card on Linux using gparted.

Last edited by Guido; 10-20-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mine are all formatted FAT32 and work great.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I have a suspicion that the Thrives in general vary in their ability to write to SD cards be they full sized or micro with an adapter.

I own three full sized cards that my Thrive will not write to.

Using another adapter plus micro card, I can create a folder or file, but not delete it unless I mount the card on my Linux PC.

I bought my Thrive as a Toshiba factory refurbished unit back in late January. When still on Honeycomb, I could not write to any of my full sized or adapter plus micro card combinations. Strangely after the OTA ICS update, I can write to a select few of my adapter plus card combinations. At least I have that.

There is no rhyme or reason as to why some combinations work. Just about the only consistant thing that I have noticed is that none of my Kingston adapters allow writing on my Thrive.

But again, this odd quirk of my Thrive might be the original reason why my refurbished unit was returned to Toshiba.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1892 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by darkron9 View Post
    I have a suspicion that the Thrives in general vary in their ability to write to SD cards be they full sized or micro with an adapter.

I own three full sized cards that my Thrive will not write to.

Using another adapter plus micro card, I can create a folder or file, but not delete it unless I mount the card on my Linux PC.

I bought my Thrive as a Toshiba factory refurbished unit back in late January. When still on Honeycomb, I could not write to any of my full sized or adapter plus micro card combinations. Strangely after the OTA ICS update, I can write to a select few of my adapter plus card combinations. At least I have that.

There is no rhyme or reason as to why some combinations work. Just about the only consistant thing that I have noticed is that none of my Kingston adapters allow writing on my Thrive.

But again, this odd quirk of my Thrive might be the original reason why my refurbished unit was returned to Toshiba.
    Not all devices can use all SD cards, its just the way it is. Iirc Toshiba themselves placed limits on what can be done with an SD card and it varied from HC to ICS. These restrictions are not in CM10 and general SD card support may be better, but as its something of a hardware limitation for compatability there's not much to be done software wise. I suppose CM9 may be a way to test this as its ICS but not with he restrictions Toshiba may have placed in their ROM.

Tapatalked from my Thrive - Kuroikaze B13x
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Ads