• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By framistat
  • 1 Post By danvee

Thread: Belkin USB Ethernet adapter F4UO47 works!

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Lightbulb Belkin USB Ethernet adapter F4UO47 works!

I noticed a YouTube video that pointed out that the Apple-branded USB Ethernet adapter works with the At300, so when I ended up with a Belkin model F4UO47 that was leftover from another project I wanted to see if it would work also.
    Amazon.com: Belkin F4U047-RS USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter 10/100MBPS: Electronics

Well it works great, just give the tablet a few minutes to recognize it the first time you plug it in.

I though it wasn't recognized originally, but then it kicked in and the internal WiFi shut down and switched the connection over.
    I don't know if these adapters use a generic standard, but it would seem that Toshiba has it covered if so.
    My guess is that just about any USB Ethernet adapter will probably work, but YMMV.

It's very speedy when surfing, though I didn't run any benchmarks.

I don't personally have need for this kind of a connection, but I often read about people who do so (as always) I wanted to share my results.
    Last edited by strider_mt2k; 01-19-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Toshiba Excite 10 AT300

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

Re: Belkin USB Ethernet adapter F4UO47 works!

Quote Originally Posted by strider_mt2k View Post
    I noticed a YouTube video that pointed out that the Apple-branded USB Ethernet adapter works with the At300, so when I ended up with a Belkin model F4UO47 that was leftover from another project I wanted to see if it would work also.
    Amazon.com: Belkin F4U047-RS USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter 10/100MBPS: Electronics

Well it works great, just give the tablet a few minutes to recognize it the first time you plug it in.

I though it wasn't recognized originally, but then it kicked in and the internal WiFi shut down and switched the connection over.
    I don't know if these adapters use a generic standard, but it would seem that Toshiba has it covered if so.
    My guess is that just about any USB Ethernet adapter will probably work, but YMMV.

It's very speedy when surfing, though I didn't run any benchmarks.

I don't personally have need for this kind of a connection, but I often read about people who do so (as always) I wanted to share my results.
    Its not a universal thing, android will natively support a couple chipsets, so just plugging in any one may or may not work, bobj has a list and sells known working Ethernet dongles for android use.

Sent from my HTC DNA
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times

I'll be checking them out, thanks!

EDIT
    Quote Originally Posted by pio_masaki View Post
    Its not a universal thing, android will natively support a couple chipsets, so just plugging in any one may or may not work, bobj has a list and sells known working Ethernet dongles for android use.
    Great selection of stuff from that company, but the Belkin wasn't listed there.
    Is there another A300-specific list to which you are referring that you might be able to link to?
    Not all tablets support ethernet dongles.

Either way, more choices are always good.

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by strider_mt2k; 01-19-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Toshiba Excite 10 AT300

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    New purchases of some ethernet dongle models that had formerly worked on the Thrive were found to no longer work. Investigation showed that the chipsets inside had been changed without changing the model numbers, and the replacement chipsets were not supported by the Thrive. As long as they work equivalently on a PC the maker considers them interchangeable. If you want to buy one that you are sure will work on the Thrive, BobJ's is the safest choice.

Steve
    danvee and bobj like this.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Wow, you guys sure hammer home the bobj thing dontcha?
    Makes me kinda sorry I bothered to post.

Well, based on the popularity Toshiba's tablets it's not like my info stands to help many folks anyway, so thanks for the wake up call I guess.
    I bid you peace.
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Toshiba Excite 10 AT300

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times

Only because it's assured to have the one, specific, compatible chip set, and always will.
    Other companies can and will substitute chips as supply changes. All they have to do is supply a proper driver disk.
    With Android, if the drivers aren't 'baked in', it's unlikely that they can be easily added, as it has to be done in the build.
    That's why you might buy a Belkin model x one day and it'll work. Buy one a week later and it won't. No company would guarantee the use of the one specific chip set.
    There's a whole long thread about the journey to find the supplier who would guarantee that there would not be any substitutions.
    That's the reason.
    rosalie likes this.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Remove Ads

Ads