• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Book reader for Toshiba Thrive 7"

Please help me to select which book reader app should I install on my ToshibaThrive 7" to be able to transfer books from my pc using epub, pdf & other ebook formats.
    Any help appreaciated.
    Thank you in advance.

2. Ads

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    I know you can sideload epub files into the Nook app, it dosent do the other formats yet though.

Sent from my Toshiba THRiVE using Tapatalk
    -Rooted Toshiba Thrive
    -Samsung Galaxy S II (i777)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I like Moon+ Reader on my tablet and Calibre on my PC to manage my book collection.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    892 times
    Get 2 or 3, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Kindle if you want to borrow ebooks through your public library. Aldiko is one of the most versatile. I am partial to the look and feel of the Nook app.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    This is big personal thing that your going to have to try.

First and foremost. If you dont have it already, get Calibre for your PC/Mac. It will organize everything on your comptuer plus will convert to whatever format youwant.

After playing around with every single book app on the market I finally settled with the Nook.

The ONLY thing i dont like is that it wont open PDF. I feel they will upgrade it soon enough though.

Other then that they each have their pluses and minus. Play around with each one.
    Current Devices
    Thrive Rooted running Vgeezy Smackedup v1.5 rom
    HTC HD2 with custom Andriod 4.0 ICS CM9

www.bndstudios.com

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I agree that you will have to try several readers. I use:
    Cool Reader for ePubs
    Nook for B&N purchases
    Kindle for mobi, Amazon & kindle format library downloads
    Overdrive for other library downloads
    Adobe reader for PDF
    I can also recommend Calibre to keep your library organized. There is also an Android app to view & download directly to the Thrive front your Calibre library.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Rooted B&N Nook (Original model)
    Archos 101
    Thrive 16GB 3.2.1 OOM Rooted ROM

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanx everybody for your quick respond!
    It's a big help for me.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Calibre dont see my Toshiba Thrive 7"

Please...... help me to connect my thrive to calibre. Software don't want to see it...
    Thanx for any advises.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    When the Thrive is connected to a windows PC through the USB port, it is considered a "device" rather than a disk drive. Calibre needs the drive letter assignment to connect. I use two methods to get books from the Calibre library onto the Thrive.
    The first is just a straightforward copy of the ebooks from the PC to the folder on the Thrive that the ebook reader keeps its books. On the Thrive side for example, the Kindle reader looks in the /sdcard/kindle folder to find compatible book files. On the Calibre side, the default folder is \username\Calibre Library. Under this folder each author will have a folder, and each book by that author will have a folder within.
    If you are familiar with basic network setup & connections, the more elegant way is to use the "Calibre Library" app from the market ($3). Without getting into too much detail, Calibre can be set up to function as a stanza (book depository) server, and the app can connect to it as a client. Once connected, the library can be browsed using any of the standard criteria such as author, title, series or any of the "tags" you have assigned. You can then download directly to Thrive, just be sure the destination folder is the same as your ereader uses. There is very good online documentation as to how to set up the Calibre side, and the developer of Calibre Library states he will respond to help requests via email. I have Calibre set up to be visible on the internet so I can access my library wherever I have wifi.

Rooted B&N Nook (Original model)
    Archos 101
    Thrive 16GB 3.2.1 OOM Rooted ROM

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BND10706 View Post
    This is big personal thing that your going to have to try.

First and foremost. If you dont have it already, get Calibre for your PC/Mac. It will organize everything on your comptuer plus will convert to whatever format youwant.

After playing around with every single book app on the market I finally settled with the Nook.

The ONLY thing i dont like is that it wont open PDF. I feel they will upgrade it soon enough though.

Other then that they each have their pluses and minus. Play around with each one.
    I have one and only one .pdf that the nook sees and reads, it just happens to be the only .pdf in my dropbox so I am not sure if that makes a difference.

I need to drop a couple more into the dropbox to see if the nook reads those too.
    Sandi
    One Planet, One People!

Ads