• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Seems Google's updates are causing problems for some apps after a fresh JB flash

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    450 times

Seems Google's updates are causing problems for some apps after a fresh JB flash

We haven't used our Thrive much in the last couple of years, and I thought it might be nice to put it in the living room. It can't be like a Google Home Mini or Alexa ("OK Google" requires at least Android 4.4), but I thought it can be a temperature/weather station, and something for quick Google searches.

It's been a while, so the Thrive is running a little sluggishly, and I thought I'd do a clean flash of Shinka B25. Now I'm getting a lot of problems in apps that were working before: Chrome doesn't launch at all (but appears in the list of recent apps); YouTube seems fine but then force-closes when a video should start to play; Dolphin Browser launches but runs verrrrrry slowly, and it crashes if I open a few tabs.

As I said, it's a clean flash with a factory reset, wiping dalvik, system, cache. I've also tried both the original thrive-pack3.zip gapps, and the CM10 gapps from Team Android (Google Apps (Gapps) - Download Latest Gapps for Android [LineageOS, CyanogenMod]).

We had a couple of people mention app problems, and I wonder if it's because Google's fooled around a lot with the Google app and Google Play Services over the years.

[ROM] Team Baked Black Bean Thrive (Unofficial)

I tried dalepl's rooted ICS 4.0.4 (had to flash that a second time because the first somehow didn't wind up rooted already). That worked fine, though a lot of apps aren't available for Android 4.0.4 that are for 4.1. Almost all I could live without except for the Amazon App Store. Bleh! Without that, there's no X-Men (arcade version) or Prince of Persia Classic, which I did like to play at times.

Right now I'm not sure which would be easier: find those games that don't require the Amazon App Store, or find an older version of the Amazon App Store. There's one at Softonic, but that site is infamous for malware, and I would never trust their APKs without an MD5 hash.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    I've never flashed a device so many times, switching back and forth between ROM versions. Last night I tried Shinka B25 again, and then I found MX Player doesn't work! It'll launch but then immediately force-close. It's so strange. I even tried keeping Google and YouTube from auto-updating, but I still had the same problems, I think because Google Play Services insists on updating itself.

For now, I'm back on dalepl's ICS, which I see has the Turbo Prop mods already. ICS more stable, though I've lost a number of apps because I can't install the Amazon App Store.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    Over at the XDA forums, I found a trustworthy senior member's link to an APK of an older version of the Amazon App Store. It installed just fine under ICS. Visually and functionally, it seems just like the newest one on my two more "modern" devices, and with no prompts to upgrade it. Now our Thrive is mostly back in business, just not with Pio's Shinka I prefer, and a few minor apps that require Jelly Bean or later, though dalepl's ICS with Turbo Prop is pretty nice itself. Nova Launcher adds a lot for customizing the home screen.

The best weather app I've found is 1Weather. There are lots of weather widgets that can be expanded to a full screen. I like this one's "look and feel" best.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...expressweather

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    Panda,
    I have not been updating via google play in ages because few thiings messed up my Thrive10.
    However, I do have backups. Last was in September, I think.
    I have MXplayer v1.8.15 and and codec 1.8.12 that work just fine to this day on my dalepl ICS 4.0.4, exact version in my sig.
    If you still need them, let me know and I'll push it to dropbox.

(OT: My battery is completely dead, But I had a used spare in the frig and that one is working.
    Beginning to think of somehow cleaning out my stuff, perhaps leaving it rooted but clean, and selling.)
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    Thanks for the offer! Right now I'm good with ICS. The latest version of MX Player and the codec work just fine, at least what's offered in Google Play. (Nova Launcher, for example, has a later version, but Google Play will show only the latest that works on a device's Android version.) I don't know when I'll next try Pio's JB ROMs again, because of how easily Google's updates break things.

The big thing to make ICS usable was finding an older version of Amazon's App Store, from which I have some apps I'd hate to give up. Prince of Persia, for example, is a pretty good game on a 10" screen.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It sucks that we have to be on such legacy versions of Android.
    Have you tried pio_masaki's PAC-man rom with AFH's gapps? (The Thrive optimized Gapps don't work.) It's stable with mediocre performance if you remember to use a task manager every 5 minutes.
    Also, use Aptoide to find an older version of YouTube that also works. Or use that Appstore to find an alternative version of YouTube.<br>
    Speaking of which, where on XDA did you find the older Amazon Appstore apk?
    Last edited by lazyguymc; 04-04-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    I haven't tried the other ROMs recently. If I get some time, I might give Black Bean a go. PAC was good but I didn't care for the feel, even though it has almost the same innards as Shinka.

There were other Android 4.1 gapps I tried, with the same result. Your link leads to a 404.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh. But where exactly did you find the Appstore apk?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    lazyguymc likes this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone have a valid link to the PAC rom ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads