• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By panda

Thread: Using ext2/3/4 for sdcard0 filesystem

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Smile Using ext2/3/4 for sdcard0 filesystem

Twice now I've gotten what I guess is filesystem corruption on sdcard0 (the internal storage) while running Kuroikaze Shinka. The main symptom is that the system takes about a minute to check sdcard0 on each boot (looking at logcat, it's usually 60 seconds plus or minus a few tenths of a second; I think it just gives up after that); and also stray files in /LOST.DIR. I finally got fed up with it, so this weekend I decided to learn how to back that filesystem up and reformat it as something journaled like ext3 or ext4.

However, I soon found out that this version of Android doesn't automount those filesystems. From looking at logcat it appears that FAT and NTFS are the only ones vold considers.

Does anyone have an idea how to sneak in a script somewhere that will get run at the right time so sdcard0 is mounted? I tried putting a mount command into the init.rc inside boot.img and repacking it, but after flashing that boot startup stalled at the initial TOSHIBA logo screen. I also tried putting the mount command in /data/local/userinit.sh and in a standalone file inside the folder /data/local/userinit.d; even though catlog showed that it should have been run, it apparently never was.

(As an aside, I see that sdcard0/.android_secure is another mount point. I'm not sure how necessary that is; I never see anything inside it. But I'd like to have sdcard0 mounted before the system tries to mount .android_secure inside it.)

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Pio would be the best to give an answer, but he's pretty much MIA.

I'm still running B25 happily, still solid after 10 months though I think I'll make backups and do a fresh install. It does that SD card check upon boot, and for compatibility I usually stick to FAT32.
    danvee and rosalie like this.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Remove Ads

Ads