• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: No PC Root Tool (revival)

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

No PC Root Tool (revival)

As Andreotti has been absent for some time, I took it upon myself to update the package binaries and put it back up for safe keeping in various places.

I take no credit for this work, the script and it's original functions and images are included, untouched by me, and all credit goes to Andreotti for this work.

I updated the md5sums file with the updated versions of the binaries I updated.

The files I updated are:
    su
    Superuser.apk
    busybox
    sh

So now all the newest security measures and fixes are implemented directly into this tool.

I have not modified it in any other way.

Please see the original thread here:
    [TOOL] [ROOT] Thrive Root - No PC V2

Updated Download links - please use these locations for downloading the updated package

Some users were less then appreciative of this little favor so I have decided to abandon it, please use dalepl's universal tool [Tool] DaleNet Thrive Univeral Easy Flash Tool it's far more reliable and supports more devices and images.

Mods please close this thread.

I consider this thread closed from this point on and will no longer respond to posts concerning this tool. I apologize but this will be better vs me getting frustrated with users being frustrated with me for breaking a tool I didn't modify in the first place. Again I DIDN'T CHANGE ANYTHING, if the script is broken it already was when I got it and I no longer have the time to figure it out, I don't even have a Thrive anymore.
    Last edited by pio_masaki; 08-01-2014 at 12:53 AM.
    Alborotz, panda, danvee and 3 others like this.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Instructions and information from the original thread here:
    [TOOL] [ROOT] Thrive Root - No PC V2

NOTE: Does not work for ICS

This will allow you to root and unroot your Thrive AT100 without the need of connecting your Thrive to a computer, the whole process is done on the Thrive using a script, the script will need to be run multiple times as the device needs to reboot at certain points for changes to take effect. This script will handle flashing fastboot, flashing boot.img, flashing recovery image, setting up SU & Superuser.apk, installing busybox & setting up bash. This script will grab your current build version and compare it with the boot images provided, if no boot image is found for your build then the script will exit, also md5's are checked before any system changes take place and if there a bad checksum then the script will exit.

This is the second attempt at making this work after realizing quite a mistake with the first attempt, this should work now as things are in the proper order

Now for the second attempt, V2

I will explain this in 2 parts, part 1 for downloading the app's required and extracting the root_v2.zip package and part 2 for the root and unroot process.

::: PART 1

To get started you must have a few things in check, you need something to type commands into and something to unzip the root_v2.zip package i have provided, so lets start there.
    You will need 2 apps, download and install the apps, either obtain the apps from the market or download the ones i have provided

AndroidTerminalEmulator.apk
    ( MD5 = 43ea7332bee0a0520f38b8f1aa4aead2 )
    -link removed, broken- Please install via Play Store

ESFileExplorer.apk
    ( MD5 = 86da86d99366b30f8b4675da2b11694c )
    -link removed, broken- Please install via Play Store

Once the 2 apps have been installed you are ready to unzip the root_v2.zip package.

This is the most important part as where the contents of the root_v2.zip package ends up is defined in the script i made, so you can't put the contents of this package somewhere else and expect it to work, so follow the instructions carefully. Download the root_v2.zip package using your Thrive,

root_V2.1.zip = 161mb ( MD5 =
    1f2121508669bafb4157308e88b5a19f )
    -link removed, broken- Please use the updated links in post 1

Use the ESFileExplorer.apk to navigate to the Download folder on the Thrive, you will see the root_v2.zip package. Hold your finger on the root_v2.zip package until ESFileExplorer presents a menu, then press 'Extract to' and you are presented with another menu, press 'Choose path' and ensure the path is /sdcard/ then press 'OK'. You should now have a new directory on your sdcard called 'root'. You are now ready to run the root/unroot script.

::: PART 2

Open up the Android Terminal app. this is where you will use the script to root the device. When you are required to reboot the device, you will have to open this app again and type the same command again, repeat this process until you are either rooted or unrooted.

The script will need running multiple times in order to successfully root or unroot the Thrive, It will need to be run 3 times to root the device and twice to unroot the device, the commands to keep running are;

1) sh /sdcard/root/run root (((3 times to root the device)))
    2) sh /sdcard/root/run unroot (((2 times to unroot the decice)))

Nothing else is required, just keep running the script and following instructions printed in the terminal until you see a message at the end "Please reboot the Thrive one last time", this will be the last time you reboot to complete the rooting process.

Say you want to root;

First the script will ask you what recovery image you want to use, then it will check the md5 sum's of the images that will be used and all files and executables, then it will activate temp root access and will require a reboot. Once rebooted you need to run the script for the second time, this will restore fastboot and flash the rooted boot image to the device and you will need to reboot the device again. On running the script for the third/last time, the device will flash the recovery image you selected, remove the stock recovery restorer, setup Superuser and install other binarys, then the device will reboot one last time to remove temp files and deactivate temp root and adb wifi.

I will now explain what will change with the Thrive once a successful root has taken place.

1) a rooted boot image will be flashed to the device
    2) a recovery (clockworkmod or stock) image will be flashed to the device
    3) fastboot will be restored
    4) busybox will be installed to /system/xbin along with its symlinks created in the same directory.
    5) the 'su' binary will be installed to /system/xbin and symlinked to /system/bin
    6) Superuser.apk will be installed to /data/app
    7) bash will be installed to /system/bin and symlinked to /system/xbin

When you unroot, all of this will be removed except fastboot, also, i fixed removing Superuser so it wont show in the manage apps section once removed. To unroot just run the script twice with the unroot argument, just about the same will happen, it will check md5's and flash the device to stock and remove Superuser and binarys, just follow the instructions printed in the terminal.

If you have any questions or get stuck at any point then let me know, i will try and help you through it

Please let me know of your success/failure.

Most of this is not my work, so big thanks to;

@tybar - for getting us root access and his script that i learned from
    @dalepl - for the rooted boot.img's and his script that i learned from

((( I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR DEVICE BREAKS )))

((( YOU PUSH THE BUTTONS )))
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update : V2.1 = 161mb - 21/6/2012 ((( link updated )))

1) added more boot images from dalepl's rom section (thanks @dalepl)
    2) updated busybox binary from 1.19.2 to 1.20.1
    3) fixed a bug on unroot where sh would not work as it would be a broken symlink to bash
    4) fixed name of a build.prop file
    5) added a check, if the tool has been run and the file /data/local.prop exists and adbwifi is active then the tool would skip getting the names of the images and the md5 check. This will now print an error and remove the /data/local.prop then the script will exit, so when the script is re-run it will be forced to start from the beginning.
    6) Dropped using ro.build.display.id for the build check. i now use both ro.build.id and ro.build.version.incremental which creates the name of your build and then checks it against the list.

This package is getting quite big, so eventually when i get sets of boot.imgs in order and post them, i will be able to just make the script and download the required imgs for the device also being able to add things like a stock kernel or overclocked without the size of the package getting any bigger.

Current Images Included Are;

HMJ37.01.5.0032
    HMJ37.03.5.0006
    HMJ37.08.5.0001
    HMJ37.31.5.0001
    HTK55D.13.5.0001
    HTK55D.21.5.0009
    HTK55D.31.5.0002
    HTK55D.31.5.0003
    HTK55D.33.5.0003
    HTK55D.33.5.0005
    HTK55D.35.5.0004
    HTK55D.36.5.0003
    HTK55D.38.5.0003
    Last edited by pio_masaki; 01-19-2014 at 10:12 PM.
    danvee likes this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Not working. I had to create the root directory and nothing happens

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    What build do you have?
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    2.1 update

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    What OS version/build on the Thrive?
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Sorry hmj37.01.5.0032

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Still android 3.1

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by jaa185 View Post
    Not working. I had to create the root directory and nothing happens

OK I think the reason it didn't create /sdcard/root is the way I zipped it up, I'll correct that.

As for nothing happens, you'll need to be more specific in what you did to get nothing happens. You do need to run it a few times, as it didn't create /sdcard/root for you, you'll need to run it from /sdcard instead, where the files did extract to. Or if you manually placed them into the /sdcard/root directory you made, run it from there as per the rest of the setup mentions.

If you did all that then we'll have to try something else :beer: as I said in didn't write this, all I did was update the files so then script did work before and should still work, at least once I correct that little path error.
    danvee and rosalie like this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads