• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: No PC Root Tool (revival)

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Alborotz View Post
    hello dev

my build number is hmj37.02.5.0008, can't find any post related to my build, should i give this a try or it will just brick my device which i cant afford to get coz i dont have a pc now, i need advice to start with

thanks^^
    If the build isn't listed then DO NOT RUN IT and just pick a different one, they are specific for a reason. The reason it's not supported is that's not a very common build and Dalepl didn't supply the ROM for it, so the rooted bits are missing at this point and need to be custom made for you. This will be difficult since you have no PC at all, you could get me the bits needed but is difficult if you aren't rooted and with no PC, though with a PC it would take a few minutes.

For now do NOT run this tool on that build. If it will, take the next update it offers as long as it starts with an H, and see if that changes to a supported build, do NOT take an update starting with an I as that's ICS and needs a PC to be rooted at this point.
    danvee, Alborotz and rosalie like this.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pio_masaki View Post
    If the build isn't listed then DO NOT RUN IT and just pick a different one, they are specific for a reason. The reason it's not supported is that's not a very common build and Dalepl didn't supply the ROM for it, so the rooted bits are missing at this point and need to be custom made for you. This will be difficult since you have no PC at all, you could get me the bits needed but is difficult if you aren't rooted and with no PC, though with a PC it would take a few minutes.For now do NOT run this tool on that build. If it will, take the next update it offers as long as it starts with an H, and see if that changes to a supported build, do NOT take an update starting with an I as that's ICS and needs a PC to be rooted at this point.
    Thanks for the tip, i didnt notice it earlier, i have an update to HTK55D.32.5.0003, it is present in dalepl universal tool, is it included here too?

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Alborotz View Post
    Thanks for the tip, i didnt notice it earlier, i have an update to HTK55D.32.5.0003, it is present in dalepl universal tool, is it included here too?
    It currently is not supported by this tool, I haven't added any further support then was originally included, which is:

HMJ37.01.5.0032
    HMJ37.03.5.0006
    HMJ37.08.5.0001
    HMJ37.31.5.0001
    HTK55D.13.5.0001
    HTK55D.21.5.0009
    HTK55D.31.5.0002
    HTK55D.31.5.0003
    HTK55D.33.5.0003
    HTK55D.33.5.0005
    HTK55D.35.5.0004
    HTK55D.36.5.0003
    HTK55D.38.5.0003

As it's included in the universal tool I can also add support to this tool for it. Adding a ton of devices would increase the size quite a bit and make it bulky to use on the device itself. I'll try to get a new one setup for you and add support for that version so you can get rooted. If I have time, maybe tomorrow, or sometime this week. Just remind me as I get distracted by shiny objects quite easily.
    psenseny and Alborotz like this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thanks sir, no need to hurry, i can wait^^ , and sorry for the trouble^^

Sent from my One V using Tapatalk

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    already rooted, got my pc fixed^^ and running kuroikaze..nice rom, thanks for your work
    rosalie likes this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

A question

First of all, I have to say: I don't have much experience on rooting Android devices. And I'm new here. But I have a bit experience on how su works on "normal" linux systems. (Interesting read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setuid)
    Quote Originally Posted by pio_masaki View Post
    Instructions and information from the original thread here: [TOOL] [ROOT] Thrive Root - No PC V2 [...] This script will handle flashing fastboot, flashing boot.img, flashing recovery image, setting up SU & Superuser.apk, installing busybox & setting up bash. This script will grab your current build version and compare it with the boot images provided, if no boot image is found for your build then the script will exit, also md5's are checked before any system changes take place and if there a bad checksum then the script will exit. [...] 1) sh /sdcard/root/run root (((3 times to root the device))) 2) sh /sdcard/root/run unroot (((2 times to unroot the decice))) Nothing else is required, just keep running the script and following instructions printed in the terminal until you see a message at the end "Please reboot the Thrive one last time", this will be the last time you reboot to complete the rooting process. Say you want to root; First the script will ask you what recovery image you want to use, then it will check the md5 sum's of the images that will be used and all files and executables, then it will activate temp root access and will require a reboot. Once rebooted you need to run the script for the second time, this will restore fastboot and flash the rooted boot image to the device and you will need to reboot the device again. On running the script for the third/last time, the device will flash the recovery image you selected, remove the stock recovery restorer, setup Superuser and install other binarys, then the device will reboot one last time to remove temp files and deactivate temp root and adb wifi. I will now explain what will change with the Thrive once a successful root has taken place. 1) a rooted boot image will be flashed to the device 2) a recovery (clockworkmod or stock) image will be flashed to the device 3) fastboot will be restored 4) busybox will be installed to /system/xbin along with its symlinks created in the same directory. 5) the 'su' binary will be installed to /system/xbin and symlinked to /system/bin 6) Superuser.apk will be installed to /data/app 7) bash will be installed to /system/bin and symlinked to /system/xbin When you unroot, all of this will be removed except fastboot, also, i fixed removing Superuser so it wont show in the manage apps section once removed. To unroot just run the script twice with the unroot argument, just about the same will happen, it will check md5's and flash the device to stock and remove Superuser and binarys, just follow the instructions printed in the terminal. [...]
    Well, this tool look promising. I looked into it. I opened the zip and read a few shell scripts. (Because this tool would run as root. A tool I downloaded from the internet. Over an unencrypted connection.) And it is really interesting! I know that you, pio_masaki, didn't create this. But perhaps - out of curiosity? - you can answer my question. Why is a boot image being flashed (and fastboot being restored)? Or: Wouldn't tputimg --des "../data/local/tmp/busybox" >/dev/null 2>&1 cat $FILES_DIR/bin/busybox > /data/local/tmp/busybox tputimg --des ../data/local.prop >/dev/null $BB echo -e "ro.kernel.qemu=1\nservice.adb.tcp.port=5555" > /data/local.prop adb start-server to gain temporary root and then: adb remount adb shell "cp su /system/xbin/" adb shell "chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su" adb shell "pm install -f $FILES_DIR/bin/Superuser.apk" adb shell "rm /data/local.prop" to gain root do the same? (You can install busybox afterwards.)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    can we please get a link to the original zip filr please. i know you put time and effort updating this and we appreciate it. but this "updated" zip file doesnt even make its own root directory. and when running the command gives a bunch of segmented errors. the original zip seems more stable. can we have that please?

my build is 31.5.002

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by YtvwlD View Post
    First of all, I have to say: I don't have much experience on rooting Android devices. And I'm new here. But I have a bit experience on how su works on "normal" linux systems. (Interesting read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setuid) Well, this tool look promising. I looked into it. I opened the zip and read a few shell scripts. (Because this tool would run as root. A tool I downloaded from the internet. Over an unencrypted connection.) And it is really interesting! I know that you, pio_masaki, didn't create this. But perhaps - out of curiosity? - you can answer my question. Why is a boot image being flashed (and fastboot being restored)? Or: Wouldn't tputimg --des "../data/local/tmp/busybox" >/dev/null 2>&1 cat $FILES_DIR/bin/busybox > /data/local/tmp/busybox tputimg --des ../data/local.prop >/dev/null $BB echo -e "ro.kernel.qemu=1\nservice.adb.tcp.port=5555" > /data/local.prop adb start-server to gain temporary root and then: adb remount adb shell "cp su /system/xbin/" adb shell "chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su" adb shell "pm install -f $FILES_DIR/bin/Superuser.apk" adb shell "rm /data/local.prop" to gain root do the same? (You can install busybox afterwards.)
    As to the method to gain temp root, I'm sure why they chose the method they did, I didn't update it, or even touch it, I'm sure it made sense at the time.

As to why the bootloader and boot.img are flashed, its to gain root access. The bootloader is locked, so it doesn't allow modified boot images to boot and will fail it. The boot.img needs to be modified to remove sealime.ko to allow system write, system write is needed to gain full root. So, flash the unlocked bootloader not only gains back fastboot, but it allows unsigned boot images to boot, which allows sealime.ko to be taken out, which allows full root by allowing system read/write access. I hope that answers at least part of your question of why bootloader and boot.img are flashed during the rooting process.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by irishman View Post
    can we please get a link to the original zip filr please. i know you put time and effort updating this and we appreciate it. but this "updated" zip file doesnt even make its own root directory. and when running the command gives a bunch of segmented errors. the original zip seems more stable. can we have that please?

my build is 31.5.002
    I'm not sure its anymore stable, I didn't touch the scripts, only the su and other binaries inside of it, the process itself remains the same as before. Anyways try this https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkawktej1w...%20%281%29.zip it may be the original, I'm not sure. I may be thin skinned, but you don't sound very appreciative at all.

Can a mod close this thread? I don't have time for it any longer and its not really stable or even appreciated. Files will be removed as they are causing more problems then they are helping.

For future users, please use dalepl's universal tool, while it requires a PC to use its FAR more reliable, works on FAR more setups and yes, it even works on ICS.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Thread closed at the request of OP. For an explanation, please read the OP.

Instead use dalepl's Universal Easy Flash Tool, found at [Tool] DaleNet Thrive Univeral Easy Flash Tool
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Ads