• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: [RECOVERY] TWRP Recovery for Thrive

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pio_masaki View Post
    The files are back on goo.
    I LOVE YOU PIO!

...is that creepy? A little creepy, right?

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1906 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Pariahnine View Post
    I LOVE YOU PIO!

...is that creepy? A little creepy, right?
    A little creepy is alright
    danvee likes this.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Does this recovery support formatting internal SD as ext4?

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1906 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by echristopherson View Post
    Does this recovery support formatting internal SD as ext4?
    Internal SD will always be shown as vfat (fat32). The partition it actually resides on is ext4 already. Its the way the device partitions and shares the emmc, so yes it does, no you'll never see it say anything besides fat, though, for compatability with windows.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Internal SD will always be shown as vfat (fat32). The partition it actually resides on is ext4 already. Its the way the device partitions and shares the emmc, so yes it does, no you'll never see it say anything besides fat, though, for compatability with windows.
    I'm not sure I follow. Does that mean it can be formatted as one thing but will show up as FAT32? Or that it can only be formatted as FAT32? Basically I just want a way to make symlinks on it.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1906 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    I'm not sure I follow. Does that mean it can be formatted as one thing but will show up as FAT32? Or that it can only be formatted as FAT32? Basically I just want a way to make symlinks on it.
    A short breakdown of what internal SD is, then. Internal SD isn't what it sounds like, there isn't anything extra inside for it, it shares a folder on the /data partition, and is basically 1 big symlink and treated as a separate partition when it isn't. Internal SD card is /data/media, and /data is formatted ext4, so as I said its already ext4 as its a directory within the /data partition. As such it should support symlinks within android, but not within windows as the device will always show it, and manage it, as fat32 when mounted to a PC over USB. This is for the greater comparability with windows systems.

So device side, its ext4, but on a pc is always treated as fat32, so symlinks will not work on a PC, even a Linux based system that would otherwise use ext4 just fine, but should work within the android system itself correctly. It has nothing to do with any recovery.
    danvee and rosalie like this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    A short breakdown of what internal SD is, then. Internal SD isn't what it sounds like, there isn't anything extra inside for it, it shares a folder on the /data partition, and is basically 1 big symlink and treated as a separate partition when it isn't. Internal SD card is /data/media, and /data is formatted ext4,

OK, that makes sense to some extent. However, on my Kuroikaze Shinka B25 system, /data/media appears to be empty; the directory I was asking about was /storage/sdcard0.

Here is partial output of `mount` showing that mount point, and another mount point from the same (?!) device:

Code:
    /dev/block/vold/179:8 /storage/sdcard0 vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
    /dev/block/vold/179:8 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
    These definitely look like vfat. How and why does 179:8 get mounted on two mount points, and how can I reformat it as ext4?

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1906 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

OK, that makes sense to some extent. However, on my Kuroikaze Shinka B25 system, /data/media appears to be empty; the directory I was asking about was /storage/sdcard0.

Here is partial output of `mount` showing that mount point, and another mount point from the same (?!) device:

Code:
    /dev/block/vold/179:8 /storage/sdcard0 vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
    /dev/block/vold/179:8 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
    These definitely look like vfat. How and why does 179:8 get mounted on two mount points, and how can I reformat it as ext4?
    Storage/sdcard0 is internal SD, which is /data/media. Its all /data/media in the end, regardless of the mounted name of it. Anything you see regarding internal sdcard, sdcard0 or whatever is /data/media. Its all linked to that folder on that partition which is formatted ext4. As I've said before, it shows as a fat partition, its not really even a partition, its a folder on an ext4 formatted partition. So, its ext4, not fat, it shows fat regardless of what its actually formatted as. Short answer, format it ext4 all you want, internal SD will show fat, forever, and its already ext4.

I suppose what you're needing to know is how to change the way android handles /data/media being internal SD and showing it as ext4 and not fat, that I don't know, you'd have to change vold, init, and the SD fuse tool to change that, and probably more, its pretty hard coded to behave this way on every device out there, again for windows users having an easier time accessing it via USB. As its actually ext4 symlinks may work, its hard to say how android interprets it within itself, if it truly thinks its fat then likely not, I assume you've already tried it?

The second mount point is for android security so play store and/or paid apps can be installed, without it anything requiring security will fail to install or update. Free apps would work but never upgrade to a pro or whatever paid version.
    rosalie likes this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Storage/sdcard0 is internal SD, which is /data/media. Its all /data/media in the end, regardless of the mounted name of it. Anything you see regarding internal sdcard, sdcard0 or whatever is /data/media. Its all linked to that folder on that partition which is formatted ext4. As I've said before, it shows as a fat partition, its not really even a partition, its a folder on an ext4 formatted partition. So, its ext4, not fat, it shows fat regardless of what its actually formatted as. Short answer, format it ext4 all you want, internal SD will show fat, forever, and its already ext4.
    Hmm, OK. I'm letting this sink in a little. I've been a Linux user for a long time but have never seen filesystems as weird and complex as I'm seeing in Android.

Why is it that `ls` shows files in /storage/sdcard0 but not in /data/media, if they are both the same "folder on that partition"? Or are they not quite equivalent?

I suppose what you're needing to know is how to change the way android handles /data/media being internal SD and showing it as ext4 and not fat, that I don't know, you'd have to change vold, init, and the SD fuse tool to change that, and probably more, its pretty hard coded to behave this way on every device out there, again for windows users having an easier time accessing it via USB. As its actually ext4 symlinks may work, its hard to say how android interprets it within itself, if it truly thinks its fat then likely not, I assume you've already tried it?

The second mount point is for android security so play store and/or paid apps can be installed, without it anything requiring security will fail to install or update. Free apps would work but never upgrade to a pro or whatever paid version.
    OK. Yeah, I found this Phandroid thread -- http://androidforums.com/droid-all-t...-location.html -- that looks relevant; although it's talking about Apps2SD, which I don't have.
    Last edited by echristopherson; 12-24-2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: tried to fix html link again

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1906 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Hmm, OK. I'm letting this sink in a little. I've been a Linux user for a long time but have never seen filesystems as weird and complex as I'm seeing in Android.

Why is it that `ls` shows files in /storage/sdcard0 but not in /data/media, if they are both the same "folder on that partition"? Or are they not quite equivalent?

OK. Yeah, I found this
    HTML Code:
    <a href="http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/192356-apps2sd-location.html">Phandroid thread</a>
    that looks relevant; although it's talking about Apps2SD, which I don't have.
    What data/media is shown in the system isn't always, for some reason, what's really there, there's a process involved in it that I'm not really knowledgeable of, I know the basics of what's happening and I've tried explaining what I know already. The oddness should be apparent already considering its a folder on an ext4 partition showing up as vfat, there's already nonsensical stuff going on.

If you go into adb shell for instance, data/media may show differently then like root explorer may show, or even terminal emulator. What shows on adb shell in android may not be what you see when in recovery, and so on. It gets more compounded in weirdness in 4.2+ with the addition of multi user support adding even more folders that aren't folders but are folders per user, so /data/media becomes even more nested with stuff.

I really think at this point I've explained myself out, either correctly or incorrectly, and Google will be your better bet for answering your questions.

Apps2sd, as I understood it years ago, was a symlink in /data/apps or other places where data is stored, and linked to internal or external SD card, if you plan to link from internal SD then you may have issues with the vfat thing, if you mean to link to something on internal SD from another location, that should work, even if it maybe involves linking into /data/media manually vs sdcard0, that may avoid the vfat issues entirely while still using internal SD.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Remove Ads

Ads