• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: [Kernel] JB/ICS Kernel 10-03-12 Flashable zip Should work with ANY ROM

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1903 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

[Kernel] JB/ICS Kernel 10-03-12 Flashable zip Should work with ANY ROM

First off, here is the github
    https://github.com/pio-masaki/at100-kernel.git
    Everything I do for this kernel is done there.

Now that's out of the way, here are some highlights:
    Beginning of OC code (yes, an OC ICS kernel)
    Added a slew of governors for your choosing
    Added a couple i/o schedulers
    Slight CFLAG tweaking

This is a work in progress!
    If you have issues feel free to report, but this is my first ever kernel project, and it may take some time for me to address them!

Dos and Dont's in this thread:
    No flaming, please. If someone asks a question thats been asked before, simply remind them and if you would, link the post or thread containing the answer. Replies like "Use search" don't help at all. Saying "Next time, use the search, the information is here" is of course what I would like to see. That was for XDA, it really doesn't seem to apply here at all.

No ETAs! I can not, and will not, make any promises on when I can fix, build, or otherwise even think about this kernel, or any rom, period. Asking for ETAs, even politely, will either go unanswered, or reminded of this note.

Issue reporting: I always welcome issue reports, of course, however keep in mind, the point made above is also covering this, I may not have time to address an issue immediatly, though I will try to post back and acknowledge that I have seen the issue, or to ask further questions. Please include as much information as possible, settings for speed, governor, IO, profiles in use for screen off (which I advise against), cpu control app in use, etc. Dmesg would be nice as well, use pastebin, we don't want to see an 8K line post of a log

Changelog:
    Experimental V0.1 10-02-12
    First "release" for testing. This is internal build 8, and from this point on, will be labeled and numbered as releases, IE if this does ok, next will be Alpha 1, or experimental V0.2, etc.
    Added OC code
    Experimental V0.2 10-05.12
    Second release for testing. Does now include the CODE for voltage control, but is not enabled yet. I didn't enable it to help prevent issues with instabilities from UV being confused with kernel issues. GPU OC is active, 320/400 MHz 2D/3D. Does not play well with ICS, CM10 use only.

Experimental V0.3 10-06-12
    Rewrote alot of the upper end speed/voltage/timing code from 1.508 to 1.472, VT, haptic feedback fix? Proved unstable to the point of being unusable. Pulled.

Stable V0.4 10-06-12
    Reverted to V0.1 OC code after the disaster of V0.3. Left out voltage control code, implemented GPU OC as previous in V0.2, VT is enabled, possible haptic fix (not likely). Governors and IO schedulers should remain as before, min/max settings should remain as before. 1.5 is likely still broken.

Experimental V0.5e "Melchoir" 10-18-12 ICS only
    All new CPU Speed tables, overall max is lowered from 1.5 which froze to 1.478, and more speeds in between. Those who used the Shiva Kernel will be familiar with the speed range. GPU OC is bumped up 20mhz in 2D/3D. SmartassV2 code added. The kernel has branched since V0.4 and is now a JB and an ICS specific design, one doesn't work for the other anymore, sorry to say. "Melchoir" is the ICS branch kernel, "Balthesaur" is the JB branch kernel which is included in the CM10/Kuroikaze builds.

"Melchoir" V2.4 ICS
    Experimental support of CIFS and slight config changes to maybe improve kernel performance. Branch from "Caspar" and includes speeds, governors, IO schedulers and any previous bugs. 1.5Ghz is likely still broken.

"Balthesaur" V2.75 Linaro JB NON OC
    Experimental fixes for ExFat corruption issues.
    No CPU or GPU OC
    Built with Linaro 4.7 toolchain with some optimizing tags turned on
    Retains Governors and IO Schedulers from the OC version

"Balthesaur" V2.80 Linaro JB OC
    Autogroup
    slab to slub allocator
    zcache
    zram
    zsmalloc
    CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI=y
    removed some ubuntu only stuff to lighten up the kernel a little
    Voodoo Audio
    * May have fixed exfat
    * May have added USB Audio
    ** Removed SavagedZen Governor due to screen off lockups.
    ** 1.5GHz likely still as unstable as always.

"Balthesaur" V2.80 Linaro OC ICS version EXPERIMENTAL
    Autogroup
    slab to slub allocator
    zcache
    zram
    zsmalloc
    CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI=y
    removed some ubuntu only stuff to lighten up the kernel a little
    Voodoo Audio
    * May have fixed exfat
    * May have added USB Audio
    ** Removed SavagedZen Governor due to screen off lockups.
    ** 1.5GHz likely still as unstable as always.
    **** This is an extremely experimental idea I came up with to integrate Balthesaur back into ICS, if it works it will allow use of "Balthesaur" Based kernels to operate in ICS ROMs. Make a full backup before attempting this, if it fails you'll need to restore your boot and system.

Instructions
    Download the zip from the link given below
    Boot into CWM
    Backup everything
    Wipe cache
    Wipe dalvik cache
    Install from zip
    Install the kernel zip
    Reboot
    First boot will take longer as the caches are being rebuilt
    Let kernel settle for 10 minutes
    Reboot
    Let kernel settle for 5 minutes
    Begin normal usage and setting up

I suggest SetCPU. System Tuner has also been reported to work well.
    Last edited by pio_masaki; 02-19-2013 at 01:14 PM.

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1903 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Downloads
    Experimental OC 1 | Mirror
    *note* 1.5Ghz is unstable, please limit to 1.4Ghz for testing.
    Experimental V0.2
    *note* 1.5Ghz is unstable, please limit to 1.4Ghz for testing. Only for CM10, does not play well with ICS.
    Experimental V0.3
    *note* completely unstable, pulled.
    Stable V0.4 "Caspar" ICS
    *note* 1.5Ghz is unstable, please limit to 1.4Ghz for testing.

Experimental V0.5e "Melchoir" ICS
    *note* does not boot. See change log for information. ICS only kernel. Please have V0.4 zip handy in case this kernel goes ballistic or doesn't boot, etc.

Experimental V2.4 "Melchoir" ICS
    *note* likely retains the 1.5GHz lockup issue.

Balthesaur V2.75 Linaro No OC JB ONLY
    Non OC kernel by request. Built with Linaro and current 2.75 source. For use with Jellybean ROMs only. Retains IO Schedulers and Governors, just no CPU or GPU overclock at all. Possibly includes fixes for exfat corruption (planned for U6, but may as well)

Balthesaur V2.80 Linaro OC
    Full OC kernel as 2.75, everything retained except for Savage Zen, this was removed due to reported crashing on screen off. See change log for more details.
    Edit: New link here http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319199471 Since the previous one is now corrupted, thanks to @alienjiz420 for uploading his uncorrupted copy!

Balthesaur V2.80 Linaro OC for ICS Experimental Build 3
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read the change log concerning this one! Highly experimental, make sure to backup BOOT and SYSTEM before flashing this! Use this to attempt to revert to Melchoir 2.4

Revert kernel
    Favum ICS kernel | Mirror
    Use this in CWM, same as before, to restore the boot.img and modules for Favum ICS, it may work for other Official based ICS, may not, untested.
    Last edited by pio_masaki; 12-27-2013 at 02:54 PM.
    garywalton, williambs55 and t1nk like this.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1903 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    this is my boomstick

FAQ
    Q: How does this work with any ROM?
    A: Installs by taking apart the current boot image, replacing the kernel binary, repacking then reflashing the boot image, and copies the matching modules into your system/lib folder. It keeps the existing ramdisk, which is why it works in between both ICS and JB.

Q: Where did you get your source changes from?
    A: Source changes are coming from ezTerry and Godmachine, with guidance from Godmachine. Changes by ezTerry may come from other places, however I can not verify that, and its from his github.

Q: Is this included in any ROM?
    A: Yes, this kernel is included with my CM10 builds, including Kuroikaze-Thrive

Q: What are the names for?
    A: As the kernel development for Jellybean gained momentum, changes to the kernel source and drivers made the kernel no longer compatible with BOTH ICS and JB, so a new branch needed to be built, one for each android version.

Caspar = The trunk kernel, the first base which all other kernels are built from, contains the original OC settings, governors and schedulers, but not much else, pretty stock.

Melchoir = The First branch, this is for ICS only, and is slightly more updated then the JB kernel, but not by far, is pretty stale development wise while I work on the JB kernel.

Balthesaur = The second branch, this is for JB only, and is the more updated and recent and heavily developed kernel by far.

Basanter = The hidden branch, this is for JB only, and contains extremely unstable stupidly high clocks and changes that don't permit it's general usage by the public, 90% of the time it doesn't boot. Basanter, for those noticing the theme, is another way of saying Balthezar, or Balthesaur as I named the JB kernel. Fitting as its a JB only kernel. This kernel will likely never see the light of day, however leads to the progress of Balthesaur (see Linaro and GPU OC for the U5.5 build).

Each kernel release is still compatible with ANY ROM, however it MUST be of the proper android version, Meclchoir should be flashed only to ICS and Balthesaur should only be flashed to JB. Caspar, should you choose to use it, is ICS only as well.

Do not flash these to other android versions, including Honey Comb, they may boot but they will certainly not function correctly.

Thanks go out to:
    First off, godmachine / linux society! We've had our spats (rather, I've had mine) however his guidance made this possible.
    ezTerry: for giving us the first modded Acer Iconia kernels, also basing some of this work on his work on ezT20 kernel.
    Da-pharoah for as always encouraging my work and to try new things.
    tybar for his work on CM10 and supplying the initial source this began with.
    The rest of the guys pitching in over here!

I am not sure about the policy on linking outside of this forum, however the xda-developer's thread is available here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4#post32340354
    I will attempt to keep both in sync as to known or reported issues and fixes/workarounds, if any.

There are also CM10 builds available on my goo.im
    devs>pio_masaki>thrive
    I attempt to mirror the development of CM10 as closely as possible and each build is current source for that day.
    Last edited by pio_masaki; 12-27-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    157 times

[Kernel] JB/ICS Kernel 10-03-12 Flashable zip Should work with ANY ROM

wow ! gonna try this rite now - thank you - hope it works -

From my ICS by dalepl, Themed by t1nk Thrive
    32gb Thrive
    Dalepl's IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    installed fine - no problems so far at 1.2 - is there a governor you recommend or do you think its gonna vary by device ?

32gb Thrive

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Very excited to see a kernel! Could someone post a stock kernel somewhere on here that could be flashed back to if needed while this develops? Getting ready to flash this!

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1903 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    No idea which gov to use with this device yet, Lionheart seems to be doing well for me @ 1.4 with sio, and I'll probably add lulzactive and smartassv2 when I get a chance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    i googled them and it pretty much says test and decide - i am trying the wheatley/sio (only cuz im a huge portal fan) at 1.408and its running good so far - ive played a couple games and ran netflix and surfed with firefox for a while and there is definitely some more snap in my thrives step - ty for doing this -

32gb Thrive

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1903 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by remotehugger View Post
    i googled them and it pretty much says test and decide - i am trying the wheatley/sio (only cuz im a huge portal fan) at 1.408and its running good so far - ive played a couple games and ran netflix and surfed with firefox for a while and there is definitely some more snap in my thrives step - ty for doing this -

Yeah as I've never ran these governors on this device I can't say one over another. Lion heart gave good performance for my a100, so I started there.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wigginst View Post
    Very excited to see a kernel! Could someone post a stock kernel somewhere on here that could be flashed back to if needed while this develops? Getting ready to flash this!

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
    Reflashing the rom you're on will replace the kernel.

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads