• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Droid razr

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times

Droid razr

I meant to write a little article about my Droid razr before now but have been extremely busy at work.

I picked up the razr the day after it was introduced. So far I can say I really enjoy the phone. It is FAST! It is hard to believe how much more responsive it is than my thrive.

I rooted it the 2nd day I had it and spent a few days setting it up. Battery life has been a concern on 4g phones and the razr is no different. 4g will eat up your battery. The secret to extend the battery life is:

Use 4g only when you need it.
    Use the very intuitive smart actions Motorola provided
    Install juice defender

I can now get 18 to 20+ hours of normal use. Another thing is keep a charger around.

Motocast is a very nice app. You can use it to synch or as your own personal cloud service for music, movies or files. I have loaded on both my home and office computers. Like any device you need to go in and freeze the bloatware.

There are different opinions on the quality of the screen. I find it to be quite good. The amoled screens are a necessity to save on Battery life and do come with nuances of there own. I keep mine set on 11% brightness and it is sufficient. I find movies are where the pentile screen shows its head. I steamed a movie through one app and was not real happy with the results. I then tried splashtop and the same movie looked awesome. So a good movie player will make a difference.

Heat issues have been reported by some. Yes the phone will get warm with a lot of 4g usage.I personally have not used 4g extensively but have noticed it will warm up. I find it very tolerable.

How is it as a phone? Great! I pull in a strong signal and get better reception at home than I did on my d1 Droid. I can now keep a connection in my basement.

The wifi signal is pretty good. It is not the quality I have come to expect from Motorola. However it has worked well.

So far the only accessory I have purchased is the home dock. I use it as a charger and alarm clock.

I also havethe Verizon case cover. It is the first one I have not broken within the first week.

I have not ruled out getting a webtop docking station for it. If I do then my thrive will probably get passed on to someone else. Did I mention this phone is FAST! It operates much smoother than the thrive and I don't feel any reason to overclock it.

The hdmi works great. I picked up an adaptor from radio shack that did the trick.you have a setting to adjust the overscan. Toshiba should have thought of this.

I originally could not make up my mind between this or the galaxy nexus. Personally there is no way I would swap this phone. It is a keeper. Ice cream sandwich will be coming to this one soon. Motorola has said in Q1 if there are no big problems. Hint hint Toshiba. Motorola at least gave us a target date.
    Happy Thrive user running CM10 Jellybean.

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    JD worked wonders with my Incredible. It takes a couple of seconds to reconnect wireless, so You have to be a bit patient.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Thanks for good the review, did you root AND install a custom rom?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    No custom roms yet. Waiting for an SBF. Also has the locked bootloader.

An unlocked bootloader will be available with ICS.
    Happy Thrive user running CM10 Jellybean.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    Nice, my gf has the razr, I've played with it and it is fast and smooth, one gig of RAM definitely helps. Not being able to change out the battery would suck, but not a complete deal breaker for a phone that powerful.

sent from my rooted Miui flashed Nook Color using Tapatalk.
    "I would rather THRiVE than be EXCITEd."
    ADW Launcher Ex FAQ/Guide | Thrive Root/Unroot Video Tutorial/Walkthrough
    Phone(s) : Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Stock ICS (Android 4.0.4) | Motorola Droid (OG) - UltimateDroid 3.2.5 ROM w/ ChevyNo1 ULV 1.25 Ghz kernel
    Tablet(s) : Archos 70IT 250 GB - Stock, Rooted w/ Developer firmware | B+N Nook Color - Miui.us latest Miui v 1.11.4 w/ Dal's OC kernel set @ 1300 Mhz. | Toshiba Thrive 32 GB -
    DaleNet Thrive IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM(Android 4.0.4)

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilgediver View Post
    Nice, my gf has the razr, I've played with it and it is fast and smooth, one gig of RAM definitely helps. Not being able to change out the battery would suck, but not a complete deal breaker for a phone that powerful.

sent from my rooted Miui flashed Nook Color using Tapatalk.
    I just checked out the ifixit tear down for how easy it will be to replace the battery. It is essentially possible in one step(remove back cover and replace battery) but it involves glue . I really hope the droid 4, with its removable back for simcard/sdcard) is better.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for the info on the Razr. The phone looks amazing! Im trying to talk my wife into getting me one for christmas.I appreciate the feedback. Thanks Oaklands
    Sent from my Nexus S 4G on AOKP i.c.s

Remove Ads

Ads