• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    203 times

Sony Announces Android-based Walkman Music Player

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Wow. Looks nice. I may have a look at this a a gift for my wife.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    I don't understand why more companies haven't made android based ipod "killers"... like what I expected from the Zii (Creative Labs) Egg dev device.
    ˇˇˇVIVA LA THRIVE-ALUTION!!!
    Click here to donate for my hard work!
    I've worked tirelessly for the first week to get root, and posting images, into second week and creating guides for you.
    I've helped many of you to get root working. Have a heart, donate to your devs.
    Don't just donate to me, find DJ_Steve, and donate to him too. He was the magic behind the method.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Well, now that Sony has begun, maybe more manufacturers will follow suite. It is deffinetly a good platform for a media player and does not require a special app to load it.
    My Development
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Agreed, that was the major issue i've always had with media players, pmp's, even the ipod... seriously? I have to have itunes to load this? why?... I have to run some app that converts my media to another proprietary file type just so your player's software can see it?
    Go android, and it supports nearly all media, and if it doesn't support it, there's probably software to allow it to.

The major problem is a concept. something that the (google) market needs to grab ahold of, is that android isn't only for phones... and we need to get away from this concept of cell providers markets. Either make it available to all, or don't make it available. Cell providers shouldn't get a say so, and developers should get a say on what "networks" their software can go on. That kills a market for software...
    ok, i'm done ranting.
    I've worked tirelessly for the first week to get root, and posting images, into second week and creating guides for you.
    Don't just donate to me, find DJ_Steve, and donate to him too. He was the magic behind the method.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Go Autergrim. You are quite right, but I do not think it is Google that is holding things back. Android is open source and available to all the manufacturers. It just so happens that it started with phones and so most connect it to phones. The manufacturers need to realize that Android is more than just for phones. Then it can spread.
    My Development

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    I had a discussion with my father about it a few weeks ago. He explained to me why he believed that tablets, in this function, would not survive. They have no value in a working environment. Yes there are some special cases, but basic work functions, ie. accounting, communication, and writing. Just doesn't have it's availability.
    Where a tablet pc (windows based) that can run more functional software, and be also mobile, or become a desktop computer; will have its advantages.

A tablet device, like android, or any other pmp type of android device is a luxury. A "nice to have" if you will. Until we have real business like software on these platforms, they will struggle.
    But hey, I've put my money into it...

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Quote Originally Posted by austeregrim View Post
    I had a discussion with my father about it a few weeks ago. He explained to me why he believed that tablets, in this function, would not survive. They have no value in a working environment. Yes there are some special cases, but basic work functions, ie. accounting, communication, and writing. Just doesn't have it's availability.
    Where a tablet pc (windows based) that can run more functional software, and be also mobile, or become a desktop computer; will have its advantages.

A tablet device, like android, or any other pmp type of android device is a luxury. A "nice to have" if you will. Until we have real business like software on these platforms, they will struggle.
    But hey, I've put my money into it...
    Your father may be spot on. If Microsoft introduces Windows 8 and it is compatible with the current apps, then they may have a winner. I just do not know how compatible it will be. The current app suite is quite memory intense. There will probably have to be a rewrite of apps to run on a light wieght tablet. Otherwise the Windows based tablets will still end up being a touch screen laptop and quite heavy due to the hard drive and other additions.
    My Development

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Eh, I had a laptop convertable tablet Gateway M275 a few, okay a long time ago.... and my father was using a Motion Computing, tablet for his real estate business for a long while. Till it became too old for all of what he was doing... ended up buying a normal laptop for most day to day business work.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Actually, Samsung is looking to make a "Samsung Galaxy S WiFi". Supposed to be an iPod touch Killer. I hope it is. Not that I'm a Google fanboy or anything (ahem, you a bad lier.)
    gadget fanatic, and a thriveforums super mod.

Have a problem THRiVE Related? Check out the ThriveForums Official THRiVE FAQ's

Afraid of getting in trouble? New Member? Read OUR GUIDELINES

my_devices: Android: Toshiba Thrive (not rooted, stock 3.2), Kindle Fire (not rooted, stock), Sony S1 (not rooted, stock), SE Xperia PLAY (not rooted, Android 2.3 w/ QQLauncher Pro) iOS/Other: 2goPad Windows OS Tablet, Apple iPad 2, Apple iPad 1, iPod touch 1G/4G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads