• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: I'm back with a new tablet

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times

I'm back with a new tablet

Wow! The last month has been a roller coaster ride for the ole Grumpster. My father-in-law passed away last month and we've been dealing not only with the emotions, but the legalities of a death.
    Then there was the task of an estate sale and getting the house ready to put on the market. With all that going on, along with my work getting busy, I haven't had any time to play with my Toshiba
    tablet collection. I did check in here once in a while just to see what was going on.
    With all that behind me, I have some news. During my job related travels, I ran across an Office Max that was closing and everything was on clearance. And I mean clearance, the manager told me they
    only had 2 weeks to clear out. As I was wondering through the store, I spotted a Nexus 7, a 2012 and a 2013 version on display. I ask the manager if he had any still in the box and
    he said he would check. He had one of each version left, both 32gb. You guessed it, I bought the 2013 version for $90.00 off the MSRP. I know, the last thing I needed was another tablet, but I wanted
    try this pure Google experience I hear so much about. No bloatware, easy root, being the first to get updates, etc. And getting it by "she who is charge" wasn't a probably either, as I bought it with my
    birthday money.
    Last night was the first time I had a chance to open the box and actually play with this bad boy and I'm impressed. More thoughts on it later as I use it more.
    Now you may ask yourself, what happens if like this tablet better than my Thrives and Excites. The Excites, particularly the 7.7", will be staying with me for sure. The Thrives, both 10" and 7" is a wait and see
    situation.
    Excuse me while I pour myself a cup of coffee and put this Nexus to the test.
    Technology has surpassed humanity
    2 Thrive 10" tablets- 1 out-of-the-box stock with Ice Cream Sandwich and 1 using
    DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    1 Thrive 7" -
    2 Excite tablets 10" and 7.7" both with multi-docks - Nexus 7 2nd generation 64GB - 2 LG 8.3 GPads 1 on wi-fi and 1 on Verizon 4G LTE
    Windows 8.1 tablets - Dell Venue Pro 8.1 64GB - Asus Transformer AT100T 32GB

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Congrats on the new toy.

Might want to head over to our sister forum @
    http://www.nexus7nexus10.com/forum/forum.php
    We'll see you there... :beer:

Also, for now, might want to refuse the questionable 'updates' they'll be pushing out.

Might also want to check out:
    https://productforums.google.com/for...B1-25-false%5D

The issues discussed were not only left largely uncorrected by the 'updates' but, in many cases, made them much worse. (personal experience).

Also note that the product has been out for 3 months now, and Google/ASUS are every bit as clueless as to a remedy as they were at launch.
    The only thing they've improved on is their ability to ignore, deny, and worsen the issue on the effected devices.

If the problems surface, note that they may not be fixed within your return period, and may take a week or more to show themselves.
    Keep receipts handy and wring the sucker out right up to the last day of the return /exchange deadline, and be prepared at that point to take action.

(Moved to O/T)
    Last edited by danvee; 10-20-2013 at 08:06 AM.
    rosalie likes this.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    No way no how!
    GOG: This leads one to ask, "Can one have too many tablets?" My good old Thrive is my favorite, but I am tempted by the Nexus.

Enjoy your new toy!

Chuck
    8 GB Thrive 10, rooted with DaleNet's ICS 4.04
    Samsung Tab 2 7" for the wife (Tech envy)

Previous tab 10" Viewsonic with VeganTab which constantly failed.
    Now life's great now with the Thrive, but . . .
    " I'd rather be in La Antigua, Guatemala!"

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lectric.chuck View Post
    GOG: This leads one to ask, "Can one have too many tablets?"

Chuck
    Surely a rhetorical question since the answer is clearly, "No".
    SteveCampsOut and AmEv like this.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (JB 4.1.2)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 (KitKat 4.4.2)
    Samsung Galaxy S4, (KitKat 4.4.2)
    LG Spectrum 2 (JB 4.1.2), Inactivated
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, Gifted (JB 4.1.2, rooted)
    THRiVE 10.1, Gifted (IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4))

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your father-in-law. Having just dealt with all those same issues with the loss of my mother-in-law in July, I know what the challenges are. Fortunately, everything for us is now complete, house sale and all, and we only have to deal with taxes once we get the 1099's in January.

When it comes to tablets, I have to confess that ever since I got my new Dell laptop last month, I've had trouble putting it down and picking up the Thrive. The battery on this thing lasts a long time and it's so much easier managing my photos, etc., with the laptop. I'm also in the process of planning a new trip and redesigning our backyard, both of which are done quicker and easier on the laptop. My Thrive is right next to me on the end-table though and I grab it every once in awhile. Still, I feel bad not using it more, but I need to use the tools that get the job done and right now, that is the laptop. Good luck with your new toy!
    rosalie likes this.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lectric.chuck View Post
    GOG: This leads one to ask, "Can one have too many tablets?" My good old Thrive is my favorite, but I am tempted by the Nexus.
    Enjoy your new toy!
    Chuck
    Thank you and the answer is................maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    Congrats on the new toy.
    Thanks. I went over to the forums you recommended and I'll be joining soon.
    I had read about some of the issues The Nexus 7 2013 has been having. So far today I haven't had any problems. But this is only the first day. And I haven't installed all my apps yet.
    I like to do that one at a time, run it for a day or two and see if the last app installed has any bad effects on the tablet.
    As for returning it, no can do. All sales were final as they were deeply discounted. I can always send back to Google if the worst happens. Can't I?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your father-in-law. Having just dealt with all those same issues with the loss of my mother-in-law in July
    Thanks. Sounds like you've been there, done that.
    I haven't been using my Thrives that much either, the Excites are much nicer and lighter. Grandson has already spoken for the unrooted one, I'll keep the rooted one for work and as for the
    Bay Thrive, I just don't know yet. I been thinking about replacing the old cell phone I have mounted in my truck that I use for GPS navigation. That bigger screen would be easy on the eyes.

Now, my thoughts about the Nexus 7 after using it for a day.
    It's light. It feels like nothing is in hand when I hold it.
    It's the perfect size and is very comfortable to hold.
    I like the non slip rubbery back as compared to the Excite 7.7's slippery metal back.
    It's very fast.
    I'm having to touch some icons twice to open an app, but that may be my fingers as I have the same problem sometimes on other tablets.
    I didn't think I would ever say this about a tablet, but the screen can be too bright. I have to crank it down to around 35-40 so as not to hurt my eyes.
    My first impression still stands, it's awesome.
    2 Thrive 10" tablets- 1 out-of-the-box stock with Ice Cream Sandwich and 1 using
    1 Thrive 7" -
    2 Excite tablets 10" and 7.7" both with multi-docks - Nexus 7 2nd generation 64GB - 2 LG 8.3 GPads 1 on wi-fi and 1 on Verizon 4G LTE

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Nope.
    Google doesn't want to hear squat unless purchased through the PlayStore.
    Have to deal with the great and powerful ASUS....
    If you used a CC, they'll provide the needed 'persuasion' that an existing OM needs to help them stand behind the product.

The touch issue is one of the many.
    By unlocking the Bootloader and pushing a file via fastboot it might be cured, or at least made tolerable. Bad news is that ASUS is telling consumers outright that unlocking voids the warranty.
    Panda went so far as to flash a custom ROM and the rebooting issues returned after about a week. I think he's on a second one now.

Don't get me wrong: the majority have no issues. It's just curious that almost every one of which I'm aware has one or more of them.
    You may among the fortunate majority.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    I wanted to unlock first thing and install CleanROM anyway, since it has a noticeable performance increase. You'd think Google would have hired Scott as a consultant so he could keep doing his magic to new Android releases!

Last night I had another reboot, using in ES File Explorer. Sigh.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    So sorry to hear that your father-in-law passed, Grumpy

Do come on over to the N7 forums, and check out the link Dan posted. Think you'll find it very interesting...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Here's another negative about this tablet, no SD card slot. This is sorta OK because I bought additional storage with Google. But, it's not OK if I don't have wi-fi access or I don't
    want to use a public wi-fi. This has been noticed by many that the manufactures are pushing users to the cloud. Thank God I got the 32gb and an OTG cable.
    Anyway, back to the tablets good and bad. I've used it off and on all day and so far no hiccups. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
    Last edited by GrumpyOldGeek; 10-21-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    rosalie likes this.
    1 Thrive 7" -

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads