• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Piracy Discussion

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    876 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deadbuzzard View Post
    We need an android app that will convert our speach to pirate!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZWIFE View Post
    You want something found, leave it to Jeanette!!! lol
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    I had to double check make sure it wasn't the same as Dan posted.LOL hey it's all out there for us all. just use the right key words . Now sometimes those keys words get you in a red room sometimes, You just back out real fast. LOL LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by rosalie View Post
    You want something found, leave it to Jeanette!!! lol

LOL LOL I just read what I wrote loaded comment for Dennis LOL LOL
    Last edited by DoubleDAZWIFE; 09-15-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    Cheers, Jeanette ,
    "I am strong. I am invincible. I am redhead

AT100
    Rooted (DaleNet HTK55D.31.5.0002 )

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    It looks a little scary. Plus the reviews are pretty bad :O but thanks. Maybe we could just have danvee on speed dial and have him talk like a pirate?!

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    yep it was only 3 stars. But you ask for a app didn't say a good app LOL I would think any voice record app would work.

Top 5 Pirate Apps for Talk Like a Pirate Day

this is for ipad
    Visit Jack the pirate at www.jollyjim.com
    Cheers, Jeanette ,

AT100

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times

etymologically incorrect word: pirate

It depends on the context, but digital information (now that sums up a lot of data, from media to DTP, and more...) devices have made it easy to share data and content...

I think like hackers, coders, crackers, virii/worms makers... there are distinctions to be drawn...

Some piracy is not piracy in the common sense of the words - you know seamen who use boats to board ships and do all kind of nasty things totheir victims, inclusive of relieving them forcibly of their properties and valuables...

The word pirate is too heavy a word for many activities it is used for, legally, nominally, and casually...

In the high seas, there was a distinction drawn between pirates and corsairs... the former were lawless, without affiliation, just after quick gains and satisfaction... the latter (albeit usullay doing similar things) were officers and subjects of a Monarch or Ruler of a sovereign state, or kingdom, etc.
    (cf. Somalian and South East Asians / Australasian pirates).

Similarly we have good hackers and bad hackers - interestingly where would you fit Julian Assange, Kevin Mitnick, Gary McKinnon, and even Bill Gates, Steve Jobs (RIP), etc.

This is how I draw some (not perfect) distinction:

A digital pirate is someone who profits from the digital information that he gets, the way he gets it is illegal, he can and sometimes will use the data, or means he acquires to inflict damage and/or help inflict damage to property virtual and/or physical... the consequence of his actions are gratifying to him, and those who use his services, but they can, and usually do inflict damages to others...

Those who do not profit from the digital information they get, do not use illegal means to get it (although the information can be illegal per se, but that is another jurisdiction), but collect it and share it from other collectors, and do not use that information to inflict damage directly or indirectly cannot be labelled pirates, and they will only engage in piracy if they pay to get such digital information...

So in both cases - payment is the criterion to distinguish engaging in piracy...

and piracy itself is when they get paid, or get satisfaction from inflicting or helping inflict damage to others or their property... (an example is followers of ideologies who want to help defeat opponent to their creeds...)

My view - but the judiciary will keep on changing their minds on a subject that is pretty in flux, and murky... can we own knowledge, information, data? etc.
    for millenia, it was property that was owned, easy and straightforward to enforce laws around that...
    digital information... well... so far the prospects have been pretty low... especially when there are so many countries who do not agree on the basic definitions...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    907 times
    Piracy is getting goods that one is supposed to pay for by means that avoids paying the copyright holder their just due.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1290 times
    Online dictionary says piracy is the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc. I think that's pretty darned clear. One can argue the degree of piracy and assign appropriate penalties, but it's all still piracy.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    I do think that article of the folks putting his movie out before it even hit the screen was in the wrong. Part of his work down the drain the guy is trying to support his family also. yes I know there is folks that will pay to go see his movie but it's not right to steal.
    Cheers, Jeanette ,

AT100

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    yeah, dictionary are just there to reflect the ad-hoc status quo we live by, or the dominant civilisation lives by, and imposes their way of thinking on the rest...

in Roman times, slavery was acceptable, and was institutionalised, even in Greek (hellenic) times, now it is seen as unacceptable...

not to diverge, but investment bankers steal all the time enjoying and their staff bonuses on profits they did not earn, on goods that usually do not exist, and worse (that is what creates the crashes), on speculative gains that have not yet materialised in real time... and when they are fired, they get a parting bonus...
    out of this world...

the kids who share mp3's and avi's on the net do nothing compared to the banking industry grand larceny...

but hey stealing is theft, and is wrong, but a sense of perspective is needed...

I love it when words are hijacked, and start meaning something they never meant before...

hey, the hijack of the word gay... now if I say I am gay, it means homo...
    a few decades ago, it meant being happy... LOL!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1290 times
    Believe me, I got your point, but definitions are what they are. It may be naive, but big corruption begins with little corruption and neither justifies the other. Plus, arguing legalities and definitions are two different things. The courts have refused to label the individual piracy as illegal and I'm content with that. I wish the studios would make digital copies of owned media available, but they don't, at least not ones that can be played on every device. But as long as DVD Catalyst is legal, I'll remain legal. Even if it were not available, there is NO media so important to me that I'll compromise my sense of morality. I own what I watch and listen to, every bit of it. I don't need terabytes of movies and music to prove I'm someone or have something to brag about. I couldn't watch/listen to all that stuff anyway. Next we'll have people claiming they're doing us a service by archiving all that stuff for posterity.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Ads