• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    scootz99

Rooting Toshiba Thrive (Canadian version) hmj37.03.5.0006

I got this tablet just a few days ago. I'd like to root this device. Is there some way I can grab an image/complete backup so that if say something were to happen and a need to return it to toshiba for what ever reason, they would't be able to detect that it was rooted? Is there a canadian rom already available? Would this change any of the device info like version/serial number/uuid/oem stuff?

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    No rooted Canadian version, but there is a way. If you load ClockWorkMod before rooting, you can do a complete backup of your current ROM minus the recovery. I do not think the recovery is different between the US and Canadian model. After getting the backup, you can root and/or load one of the other ROMs. If you want to go back, you can restore your backup. On first boot, it will replace the recovery and all will be back to normal.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    scootz99
    Oh nice. Ok, what about the question of the possibility of it changing the uuid/serial number etc? Is that also included when I do the backup? I'm really looking forward to watching netflix on this device. Then I can get rid of a noisy computer in my bedroom. I'd be willing to get you a canadian version of the rom if you are still wanting to get one. If this would include my data/apps, I can do a factory restore and then give it to you. I don't see any roms in your list for the canadian version. Might come in handy for someone in the future.

I've already got the adb working and can issue a adb devices command ok. So excited to do this. I've been using linux for years. Since when redhat 3.3 was out or a bit earlier, so I'm not too worried about messing things up. (Hope this doesn't spark a linux distro vs distro argument but.. Arch Linux FTW!)

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Yes, if you send me the backup files of your device, I can build a stock and rooted ROM of the Canadian load. As for UUID/serial number, this is not effected by loading the US ROM. So have at it and enjoy.
    My Development
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    scootz99
    Soo, one thing I learned today. DONT try to do this stuff while being tired! I screwed up I think. Device still boots and works fine except Wifi. I know, once rooted, it doesn't work until the 0032 is put on it. What I forgot to do is do the backup BEFORE rooting it. So now the boot.img is the OOM 0032 you provided. I'm searching the web to see if I can find a canadian version. It looks like there is a kernel conflict of versions so that the wifi doesn't load. I tried to force load the module but no go. Suggestions? Perhaps someone can sniff the wire while updating to the latest OTA update or what ever its called.. and we can change version numbers etc to get a canadian one?

Suggestions?

*EDIT* I didn't put the 0032 rom on the device yet. I uninstalled the CWM and used stock recovery. Device is still rooted.
    Last edited by marshals; 10-16-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    I know of no Canadian copies of the ROM. Have asked a couple of times, but all have rooted as you have. Just go ahead and load ClockWorkMod recovery and then my rooted ROM. All will then be fine.
    My Development

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    scootz99
    If anyone reading this thread that has a canadian version of the toshiva thrive able to provide the boot image and possibly the mmcblk0p5 image (yes, i've messed this one up too. but doesn't seem important I don't think.. ) I'd very much appreciate it!

@dalepl, I've got the original mmcblk0p3 (system) image if you'd like that? I could stick it on my server for you to download if needed.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Sys tem image does me no good without the boot image, but thanks. If you do load my rooted ROM, please do me a favor. Some people have had issues with bootloop after loading an app. The only thing recently changed in the ROM was Superuser.apk and su. I need to try and figur out if that is causing an issue with HC 3.1 and causing the bootloop. If you load the ROM and load a new app and get boot loop, please PM me as soon as you can.
    My Development

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    scootz99
    Unfortunately, I don't have anything larger than a 256M SDcard. I do have a 1G USB stick I could use. But then that would require a mod to CWM. If I knew how CWM iimage was created, maybe I could modify it or steve could modify it to allow usage of USB? Any other options maybe?

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    You can use the internal memory for loading ROMs too. Just remember to delete the ROM so you will not run out of space.
    My Development

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads