• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Install apk problem - install button not working

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    tamxir
    Your work and methods appear impeccable. I'm an old MCSE+I and I followed your steps in detail, after many trials of my own. I'm on a Galaxy Note 2 but have the exact problem as you. Unfortunately your steps didn't solve my problem. In Play Store the TalkBack app is noted as 3.2.1 but I can't do anything with it even if it was an earlier version, although it probably updated automatically.
    I won't repeat all my steps, but they are very similar to yours in debugging this thing. I don't have any screen filters of any kind, that I know of. The one time I got an "Unknown" app to install was after I froze Google Account Manager. I could install the very next time but after defrosting GAM I could not install again even after freezing it again.
    Any ideas? I know you are off on other topics enjoying the benefits of your labor, but I'm just asking.
    Thanks
    TheFletch

EDIT: Going through many of my app I came upon Gesture Launcher. After "freezing" it my problem went away, hopefully for good.
    All the best and excellent work on your part.
    Last edited by TheFletch; 12-31-2012 at 06:33 PM.
    tamxir likes this.

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Thank you for your kind remarks TheFletch .

I'm glad you seem to have resolved the issue. It seems that the interactions between apps on the Android
    platform is somewhat different than from the Desktop world in that seemingly unrelated matters such as you
    describe 'Gesture Launcher' would somehow impact on a seemingly unrelated problem with app installation.
    I guess it keeps us on our toes.

Off Topic but related to Talkback, my partner purchased outright a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I was
    setting it up for her. Very happily for us, it greeted me with an upgrade notification to Jellybean.
    I keenly let that happen and proceeded to enable Talkback. I was greeted with a tutorial for
    'Explore by Touch', an aid for visually imapaired folks. All very nice. but NO option to turn it off!

This rendered the touch-screen almost unusable. Finally, I discovered that Talkback had an update
    available which wasn't applied automatically. I updated it and an OFF switch is now included.

It seems to me that when thinking Android, 'Thinking out of the box' not only applies to the platform,
    but also to problem solving of any issues with it we have.

Once again, your positive feedback means a lot.

Thanks
    tamxir

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Very useful info!
    I had the same problem.
    Sony Xperia P lt22i
    Android 4.0.4
    Not rooted
    No unlocked bootloader

Install button from Any.DO apk (beta version) not working because of the app "Screen Filter". The solution was simply disabling it through the app itself, install Any.DO, and ré-enable Screen Filter.
    Thanks also to Any.DO support team who redirected me to this thread.

William
    Last edited by wlsuzuki; 04-07-2013 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Linebreaks simply disappered.
    tamxir likes this.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    I'm glad you solved the problem William, and if this forum topic helped in some manner, I'm particularly pleased.

The install button issue gave me a few headaches I can assure you

Regards
    tamxir

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tamxir View Post
    GOTCHA !!!

It was Talkback.

I went through Settings->Apps->All and systematically cleared cache and killed suspects then retried an install. Talkback was it.

As to why? I don't know, but I'll try to recreate the problem before shooting off a choicely worded email to those responsible

Add this to your knowledgebase.

Many thanks to all who helped me.

Regards
    tamxir

P.S.

What appears to have caused the issue in the first place is the modification of Talkback's behavior by another TTS app from the Android Market. Even after uninstallation of the other app which I won't name until I can re-create the problem, Talkback retained settings which caused the install malfunction. I will report back once I am sure of my facts.

Sd a side note, I was mad keen to install the latest nightly build of Android XBMC (Media Center) which is top notch and works great on my Thrive. I'll post a new thread about this in the appropiate forum section. I'vr been waiting to watch live TV on my tablet via wifi from my PC TVSerever setup - VERY COOL!
    Hello tamxsir, did you ever post about XBMC on your Thrive. I currently have Pio's Black Bean ROM but I can't get XBMC running at on it. What nightly download did you use? I was under the impression that there was a specific build for Thrive users (I dunno, I read that somewhere)

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    75 times

XBMC on Thrive

Hi iThrive

The official XBMC Android version will not work on Tegra 2 devices i.e. Toshiba Thrive. Read this page for detailed info about this. [APP][2.3+][Weekly Builds] XBMC For Android Nightlies - xda-developers

Here https://nuskunetworks.box.com/s/37igunpelmkrmb3rc2or are all the builds that are for Tegra 2 devices i.e. Thrive (non Neon) and Neon whatever that is. I've almost lost interest in XBMC as it seems they are too busy trying to be everything for everyone. See their Blog. Link -> XBMC

Here is the last version I know of that worked on my Thrive.
    xbmcapp-armeabi-v7a-debug-2013-02-03-no-neon-xaf-touch-bfa337abcfa61e853ed785b19395274f75e2d717.apk is on page 2 of the repository.

Download Link

As you will see, the versions are all around 50Mb or more in size so I am not keen on downloading lots of versions that may or may not work. None of the more recent ones don't even start on my Thrive.

I am sorry I'm not that keen to persue it due to the difficulties I have with testing apps having the vision problems that I do. Also, the XBMC development looks too fragmented to ever expect an Android version that will work on all devices. That's why I just check back on them about once a month in tne hope that someone there has their act together.

I don't mean to sounding negative, but I'm an old beta tester and I have little patience for SLOW developers these days. If a DEV starts trying to satisfy too many people, nothing ever gets done properly.

They seriously need some good testers, but I've been discouraged by their apparent lack of interest, and as much as I'd love to test it, my low vision slows me down so much these days, my frustration level would be no good for my health.

I am not hopeful we will ever get a release version that will work on our thrives, but time will tell.

I think I'll start a new topic with all this kind of media stuff in it. Most of it was in my What works for me - Live TV topic which got very off topic at times

I should get in touch with Pio about rooting my Thrive. He did mention about the black rom. What do you think of it? I finally put Windows 7 on my PC so my Thrive can now connect to it via USB properly, which was a barrier to me rooting my Thrive before. Win Vista wouldn't talk to the Tablet.

I should PM him to see if he can give me a hand with that.

tamxir

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads