• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Updates - Pre-installed apps

I have a NON-ROOTED Canadian Thrive AT100 that came with some apps that were pre-installed by Toshiba.
    I have the 32GB version, so I'm not bothered by having some apps that I don't use.
    I am also aware that pre-installed apps cannot be deleted or uninstalled.
    What does annoy me is getting constant updates for two of these apps --- Tune Wiki and Evernote that I don't use.
    Is there any way to curtail the automatic pushing of updates for these apps?

Cheers ....
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Model PDA01C-004002 aka AT100-004
    HTK55D.33.5.0005

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    With ICS, pre-installed apps can be "disabled" in Settings -> Apps -> All. Whether this will turn-off the automatic updates, I don't know. If the updates are coming from Google Play Store, you can go to your apps in the Play Store and uncheck automatic update. They will still show in the store as updates pending, but they will not update automatically.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    I don't use it.
    It seems like I read somewhere of a way to delete system apps even without root. If you were to root it, it would allow you to simply delete them. Is there a reason that keeps you from rooting it?
    Check out my custom ROM: Favum ICS Version 2.0
    If you're feeling generous, I'm taking
    donations.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mcarver2000 View Post
    With ICS, pre-installed apps can be "disabled" in Settings -> Apps -> All. Whether this will turn-off the automatic updates, I don't know. If the updates are coming from Google Play Store, you can go to your apps in the Play Store and uncheck automatic update. They will still show in the store as updates pending, but they will not update automatically.
    Thanks for your prompt reply I am still on Version 3 --- awaiting more feedback before I update to ICS.
    I have not selected automatic updates for any installed apps.
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    HTK55D.33.5.0005

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xm41907 View Post
    It seems like I read somewhere of a way to delete system apps even without root. If you were to root it, it would allow you to simply delete them. Is there a reason that keeps you from rooting it?
    I suppose you could call me a bit of a coward! Most of the time I'm too busy trying to keep my four Windows PCs updated and free of viruses and malware!

One of the things I like best about my Thrive is that after nearly a year of ownership, it reliably allows me to quickly check my Email and search the web without hassle. Put simply, "it just works" ! I also subscribe to the theory " If it ain't broke --- don't fix it".

I have no doubt that should I root my device, there may well be more things I could do with it --- but none that would justify the possibility that I might end up with an expensive brick.

Thank-you kindly for your input. For now, the update notifications are a minor nuisance that I can live with.
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    HTK55D.33.5.0005

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Twitter
    SteveJax
    Quote Originally Posted by mytitanic View Post
    I have no doubt that should I root my device, there may well be more things I could do with it --- but none that would justify the possibility that I might end up with an expensive brick.
    I think too many people overly emphasize the possibility of bricking your device by rooting. From what I've seen around here, DalePL has been able to save many supposedly bricked devices. Maybe I'm just overly optimistic, but I was afraid to root too but I made the jump and have been more than happy that I did.
    Tablet: Toshiba Thrive AT100 10.1 32gb
    ROM: DaleNet Deodexed ICS ROM
    Firmware: 4.0.4
    Kernel: 2.6.39.4-g2388484 android-toshiba@tesibuild7 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 23 11:22:12 IST 2012
    Build Number: IMM76D.01.00072314

Remove Ads

Ads