• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: time to tickle Toshiba UK for ICS OTA release :)

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    @inabster

time to tickle Toshiba UK for ICS OTA release :)

yeah, the US and Canada have it...
    as usual EU, UK, Australia etc are lagging behind...
    even if I am in no particular hurry, I thiink it is time UK and EU owners make them feel lazyness is not acceptable
    (their chief UK engineer promised an Autumn release)....

and of course I count on dalepl diligence for regional rooted roms

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    One may hope that you'll get a more 'refined' version than what we got.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    @inabster

rush

Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    One may hope that you'll get a more 'refined' version than what we got.
    I think they rushed the US and Canada release, as they released it before what they said, i.e. fall / autumn...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    But it also seems that the Canadian ones have their own set of problems.
    The only difference was 'supposed' to be the bilingual additions.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    @inabster

comparison

Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    But it also seems that the Canadian ones have their own set of problems.
    The only difference was 'supposed' to be the bilingual additions.
    as I said before, I also have an android pad clone (chinese manufactured Superpad Flytouch 8, exchanged from the Flytouch 7 - using EU law - which was of lower quality, just the camera, now this one has a 2MP cam with 1.5 GHZ one core processor, and 3g usb capability)

amazingly, they initially shipped it with Android 4.0.4, but their latest rom upgrade is Android 4.0.3... so they are not happy with 4.0.4 - (they release full rom flash upgrade, not updates)
    so there might be some serious issues with 4.0.4 -

that being said I found it to run smooth, the only issue was wifi poor reception which I solved with a usb wifi dongle that works with Android...

so a few chinese OEMs are catching up with good products, following the footsteps of HTC and Huawei when they started... not content with just taking instructions and building models for Apple, Microsoft, HTC, HP... etc
    and they are now able to package decent fully made up products... at a much better price, and getting more cash for it by selling it themselves...

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bgrau2000 View Post
    as I said before, I also have an android pad clone (chinese manufactured Superpad Flytouch 8, exchanged from the Flytouch 7 - using EU law - which was of lower quality, just the camera, now this one has a 2MP cam with 1.5 GHZ one core processor, and 3g usb capability)

amazingly, they initially shipped it with Android 4.0.4, but their latest rom upgrade is Android 4.0.3... so they are not happy with 4.0.4 - (they release full rom flash upgrade, not updates)
    so there might be some serious issues with 4.0.4 -

that being said I found it to run smooth, the only issue was wifi poor reception which I solved with a usb wifi dongle that works with Android...

so a few chinese OEMs are catching up with good products, following the footsteps of HTC and Huawei when they started... not content with just taking instructions and building models for Apple, Microsoft, HTC, HP... etc
    and they are now able to package decent fully made up products... at a much better price, and getting more cash for it by selling it themselves...
    It's a weird situation in Australia/New Zealand.

ICS 4.04 was available OTA for approximately 24 hours about two weeks ago in the Australia/New Zealand region, and some us who got ICS 4.04 got personal emails from Toshiba Australia saying it was ready to download and install.

It installed OK on my AT100 (=Thrive) and haven't had any problems with ICS. I posted on FB and another forum that ICS was available and had installed it successfully, but others who have tried to get ICS are being told by the OTA servers no update is available.

It seems that Toshiba Australia did a very limited release to select few AT100/Thrive owners, but have left most still waiting to get ICS.

The main 'improvement I have found is start up and shut down times are a lot quicker that they were with HC 3.2; all the applications I have all work as normal.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    @inabster

Touchipa

Touchipa, a distorted french pronunciation of Toshiba which means "do not touch/no touching"... Touchez Pas in fact...

so Touchipa UK did not even bother to reply to my query about their ICS timeline...

I feel scorned

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    @inabster
    Isn't it outrageously ridiculous that we in the EU are still waiting for the ICS 4.0.4 upgrade, while most other tablets / smartphones' competitors are busy rolling Jelly Bean 4.1?!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Still waiting for ICS here in the UK, it really does look as if Toshiba have written us off this time. Oh well, one lives and learns.

Nick.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah i'm bored of this waiting game here in the UK! I'm not going to hold my breath on it beng released at all as now if you do a search on the toshiba UK website the thrive no you get no results... so they now deny it even exists nevermind giving us updates

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads