• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times

New User's Initial Observations

Well, as I've said in other threads, I finally got my Thrive, so I thought I'd take a few minutes to pass along my initial feelings.

1. It feels heavier in real life than it was at Best Buy. This is due to the fact that I'm now sitting in my easy-chair trying to find the most comfortable position for using it, etc. It's not as easy as setting it on my lap and typing because flat is simply not a good angle for much of anything. It's really great though being able to get up and take it with me easily and not have to completely stop what I'm doing, especially reading email/posts or viewing a video/listening to Pandora.

2. The keyboard is taking longer than I thought it would to get used to, particularly with default settings. I've been able to make it more compatible with my Droid keyboard and that helps a lot, but I still miss the arrow keys and a better editing experience to move around my compositions, both email and posts, to correct errors. I did enable the auto-correct feature and I think that will help. I think I may need to craft a small lap-stand or something. It's really easy to hit keys, or the wrong keys, and I find myself editing a lot. It is new, so I'll give it a lot more time.

3. Default email app kind of stinks and I'll be looking for a replacement. I haven't found a setting to delete emails from the server for my POP3 account or a way to save (Save As) emails as documents externally. The first is a must for both of us and the second is a must for my wife as she receives a lot of recipes and patterns that she wants to save somewhere other than an email folder.

4. Default browser also kind of stinks in that it won't even allow viewing some sites in full mode, it defaults to their mobile site, and I haven't found a way to override that. So far, Dolphin HD seems to solve that problem, though I haven't tried any of my financiaql sites yet. Is there an easy way to import Favorites from Windows?

5. Battery life seems good. I used it for 3 or so hours yesterday and another 4 hours so far this morning. I'm not doing anything intensive, but this is already about 5 times longer than my laptop battery lasts.

6. Speakers truly do leave something to be desired, but they're not really worse than I expected. I do have an Altec Lansing system on my laptop, but I rarely use the speakers, so it's no big deal for me. The headphones I have sound okay, so I'm quite happy, listening to Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman from his Black & White DVD now. I'll probably need to upgrade to a better set of sound-cancelling headphones for listening in the car though.

7. Fingerprints are bothersome, but really only when the light hits them. I might try some RainX to see if that helps. Anyone try that vs screen protectors?

8. Getting used to how things work is a lot of fun and frustrating at the same time. I'm finally learning how to navigate and keep things, like Pandora, running in the background. So far I don't mind the default desktop, but I'm sure I'll need something more as I load more apps.

Next up is to start testing the recommeded apps I've been collecting from the folks here. Once I get things working pretty well, it will be my wife's turn. It's harder for her to switch from something she's used to, but she'll eventually figure it out. Since her phone is not a smartphone, she is completely new to all this.

I'm sure I'm going to come up with a lot of questions, so I'm not going anywhere.
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 12-27-2011 at 07:27 PM.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Well, you sound like most of us. This is definetly not your phone, PC or Laptop. there is a learning curve. As for keyboards, the two that I see the most are Thumb Keyboard and Hackers Keyboard. I like Hackers because it is like a standard PC keyboard with arrow keys and numbers at the top. A good laptop lap table will work for you in your chair. On a table, just use a USB or wireless keyboard. They work great. Email has always been an issue. I do use the stock one, but do most of my email on my OC, so it has not been an issue for me. Dolphin HD or Dolphin Tab are both good for the tablet. I can log into my bank without any issue on Dolphin Tab. As for fingerprints, I use a screen protector for this. Never tried Rain-X, so cannot comment on it. It won't take you long before you will be flying on the device. Also, if you like the stock launcher then try one of the many folder apps to group your apps on the main screen. Then when you need an app, you would select the folder it is in (i.e. GAMES) and then launch the app. Enjoy.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    Congrats on getting it double... The toshiba portfolio case works awsome to tilt the thrive at whatever angle you want, I use a beanbag server lap tray that you get bout anywhere cheap to hold the thrive, bluetoot logitec android keyboard, and usb wireless mouse, I have several of the trays for laptops ect, keeps them from sliding onto the floor and keeps them nice and cool.
    As far as Email goes I finally found an email handler that works great, K-9 email in market, It handles multiple email accounts and doesnt miss a beat. The combo I mentioned is great , and the screen doesnt get a single finger print on it unless im mobile with it.
    Enjoy !
    FAQ
    Guidelines of Conduct
    We "Thrive" to keep it clean, Help each other out, and have fun !
    If you enjoyed my nonsense feel free to hit the like button.
    Toshiba AT100/16 GB sporting CM10.~ I have no affiliation with any device manufacturer, developer, or application, Any contained statements by me are merely my own opinions to be taken as such ~

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    I'm going to try Hackers and will go to an external if I need to, just rather not. I will also check Tab to see how it differs, but so far HD seems to work okay.
    Cheers, Dave

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Those are great ideas, especially the beanbag tray. I saw your earlier post about K-9, so that's going to be my next app download.
    Cheers, Dave

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    I'm going to try Hackers and will go to an external if I need to, just rather not. I will also check Tab to see how it differs, but so far HD seems to work okay.
    If you like the feel of a standard PC keyboard, you will like Hackers. Nothing wrong with Dolphin HD. It is designed for a phone, but still works very well on a tablet. The tab version is still a beta, but I have had no issues with it. Stick woth Dolphin HD if you like it. The Tab version does not seem to offer any real advantage over Dolphin HD.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    Is there an easy way to import Favorites from Windows?
    Both Internet Explorer and Firefox will allow you to export your bookmarks to an 'html' file. You could copy this file to your Thrive and either create a bookmark for it or set it as your home page.
    Rick
    Toshiba Thrive 32Gb
    HTC Evo 4G

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    when doing something like watching movies on Netflix I just rest my hands with interlocked fingers on my stomach and hold along the bottom of the bezel with my thumbs. let the tablet rest back against index fingers. Also, while there's no official Crackle.com app for the Thrive, you can still watch movies on their page. Just set Dolphin HD in Desktop mode in settings.
    Last edited by cenn; 11-10-2011 at 04:23 AM.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    When you install K-9 do look at what it can do when you have an ISP that 'pushes' emails.

I am most impressed at how quickly they come through - and it negates the need to poll the mailboxes at regular intervals.

How much battery power it uses I cannot tell - maybe someone else knows.

Tony

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    dalelp - 10-4 on the difference between HD and Tab.

I installed Hacker and love it. I do have a problem sometimes getting it to come up when I want to type, like with this post, and the arrow keys don't always work right. Right now they move around the edit menu rather than the text. I am going to switch to Tab and see if that helps. It doesn't always do this.

Rick - I had already done the html export and that is working fine as my Home page. I also use Google Bookmarks and that works fine too. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

cenn - I now have a beanbag that works great. I'll also chheck out Crackle.

Tony - I also installed K9 and it seems to work fine with all my accounts, but doesn't look very elegant and seems to have a 2M limit on emails. I don't poll for new emails, so I will check out that push you mentioned.

I should mention that I hooked up to my TV last night and was very impressed with both the movie I ripped with DVDCatalyst and the videos from You Tube. Now I need to order a 25' HDMI cable for motels when traveling. I also connected my 120G WD USB HDD and it worked well.worked
    Cheers, Dave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads