• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JiveTurkee

Thread: $20 Thrive (new) / Hello from NYC

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

$20 Thrive (new) / Hello from NYC

I realize I'm late to the party (thus the username), but I came across the Thrive last week when looking for an inexpensive Android tablet I could play around on with APRSDroid and Ham Radio. (Our house is all Mac and iOS at the moment).

Anyways…you won't believe it, but this tablet came up and someone was selling it on Amazon for $20! Brand New!! And that was after shipping!!! At the time, I knew absolutely nothing about the device but I thought: "This seems crazy. You couldn't buy a cheap Raspberry Pi and a 10" touch screen for that price (let alone wifi, gps, battery, and everything else all wrapped up in a nice little case). Even if it is an older tablet, this still seems like a total fluke."

The estimated delivery date was mid May and the seller was listed as "new" with absolutely zero feedback (definitely a red flag there), but I knew I'd have Amazon's guarantee if it all went south. So, after seeing how well received the tablet was when it first came out, I figured, what the heck and snatched it up.

Well friends, that was a couple days ago. I've since found this forum, read quite a number of posts, watched some videos, and my Thrive…well, it's currently sitting in a USPS processing facility somewhere in Shanghai, China. LOL!

My best guess is some factory worker there discovered a couple of long-forgotten Thrives tucked away in a corner, figured they'd get rid of them online, and then…well, I don't know, either missed the mark on price, did the conversion to US dollars wrong, accidentally left off a zero, or just didn't care to get much out of their small treasure trove. Regardless of the full backstory, I'm pretty excited and can't wait for my new Thrive to get here.

Now, I fully realize that, when it finally arrives, I might be in for a total letdown. It might be a total bait and switch / wolf in sheep's clothing scenario. But I'm excited for the prospect none the less and thought you'd all like to come along with me for the ride.

I'll check back in after it arrives (in another week or two) with a full report. If all is well, I may need some help getting pointed in the right direction when it comes to rooting and ROMs and all that (assuming folks are still checking into the forum). Until then, I'll try to do some more browsing and reading of past forum posts.

Have a great weekend ya'll!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Ads

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I still have mine. It has outlasted a couple of Hisense and Insignia tabs.. although I mainly use an Insgnia NS-P16AT78SHD it is reliable but stuck at rooted IC.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gberpa View Post
    I still have mine. It has outlasted a couple of Hisense and Insignia tabs.. although I mainly use an Insgnia NS-P16AT78SHD it is reliable but stuck at rooted IC.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Cool. Thanks gberpa! From what I can tell online, there seems to be a number of folks whose Thrives are still getting some use. My intended purposes are fairly modest so I think it'll work out great.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Late2theParty View Post
    Cool. Thanks gberpa! From what I can tell online, there seems to be a number of folks whose Thrives are still getting some use. My intended purposes are fairly modest so I think it'll work out great.

My wife still uses the Thrive strictly for watching TV/Movies. It is rooted and I just deleted all the apps and kept what she needed and it works great. Still running like a champ.
    Late2theParty and Torrid like this.

TOSHIBA Thrive • Pio's Team Baked BlackBean ROM (4.1.2)

Samsung Galaxy S8+• Oreo Beta ROM (8.0)
    LG V20
    •Stock ROM (7.0 Nougat)
    ZTE Trek2 HD•Stock ROM (6.0 Marshmallow)

Remove Ads

Ads