• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question New To Forum Need Help With SLOW THrive

I have a 32GB Thrive I have had more than 5 years. Bought it used on eBay. I use it mostly to read on the Kindle app and use it during travel to read and watch Netflix. It has gotten slower and slower and I have now been removing books from device once they have been read. Occasionally it crashes and just randomly powers itself off when it has plenty of battery left. Not sure what to do and what other apps I can remove from it. I assume it came with some default apps that are not removable. I'm just trying to unclutter it as much as possible so it will run faster. I'm wondering whether a factory reset would help?

2. Ads

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I'm having same problem.
    How do I clean cache?
    Toshiba Thrive

Samsung Galaxy S5

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    Hi guys, if you don't want to do a factory reset, try an app like CCleaner. Like the version for Windows, it searches through Android for what can be cleaned up: app cache, temp files, even empty folders.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iform.ccleaner

That might not be enough, and a factory reset cleans up Android by removing all apps and data you've put on (so don't forget to make backups first!). Turn off your tablet, hold down and keep holding down the Volume Up key, then turn on the tablet. It'll bring you to a screen where you can choose to reset the tablet fully. Use the volume buttons to go up/down, and the power button to select.

But sometimes Android gets "buildup" in its system that a reset doesn't take care of, and especially if you've upgraded to Toshiba's Android 4.0.4 ICS, it's known to be buggy, laggy and sometimes downright unstable. If you're going to wipe your devices and want to put in a little time, you might as well try installing a better version of ICS that was put together by one of our old users, dalepl. It's based on Toshiba's version and looks identical, except it's cleaned up to be more stable, smoother, and best of all, you can remove Toshiba's preinstalled bloatware. The impetus for me finding this forum was because I activated Kaspersky and couldn't turn it off. It was literally eating up an hour of battery life.

If you want to try installing it, the first step is to "root" your tablet, not for root access, but to unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery, allowing you to install non-Toshiba versions of Android. This is like a factory reset in that it wipes everything, so again, you'll have to make backups first.

[Tool] DaleNet Thrive Univeral Easy Flash Tool

Once you root and install the custom recovery, you can use the custom recovery for installing dalepl's version of Android ICS:

[ROM] DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    Hi guys, if you don't want to do a factory reset, try an app like CCleaner. Like the version for Windows, it searches through Android for what can be cleaned up: app cache, temp files, even empty folders.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iform.ccleaner

That might not be enough, and a factory reset cleans up Android by removing all apps and data you've put on (so don't forget to make backups first!). Turn off your tablet, hold down and keep holding down the Volume Up key, then turn on the tablet. It'll bring you to a screen where you can choose to reset the tablet fully. Use the volume buttons to go up/down, and the power button to select.

But sometimes Android gets "buildup" in its system that a reset doesn't take care of, and especially if you've upgraded to Toshiba's Android 4.0.4 ICS, it's known to be buggy, laggy and sometimes downright unstable. If you're going to wipe your devices and want to put in a little time, you might as well try installing a better version of ICS that was put together by one of our old users, dalepl. It's based on Toshiba's version and looks identical, except it's cleaned up to be more stable, smoother, and best of all, you can remove Toshiba's preinstalled bloatware. The impetus for me finding this forum was because I activated Kaspersky and couldn't turn it off. It was literally eating up an hour of battery life.

If you want to try installing it, the first step is to "root" your tablet, not for root access, but to unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery, allowing you to install non-Toshiba versions of Android. This is like a factory reset in that it wipes everything, so again, you'll have to make backups first.

[Tool] DaleNet Thrive Univeral Easy Flash Tool

Once you root and install the custom recovery, you can use the custom recovery for installing dalepl's version of Android ICS:

[ROM] DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    Thanks, Panda. I go in apps and clean cache every so often. But that's not enough.
    Also, get lots of "launcher" and other apps, "not responding".
    Ready to try something.
    I was surprised any one answered, since thrive is so old. 😉
    But I'm at the point gonna try something, as just not working good.
    So, think I'll try app clean first and then see if that helps. If not, guess will try to do factory reset. Not techy, but gotta try something. Lol.
    Thanks so much for your advice, I always have liked it, hate to get rid of it.
    I use my smart phone so much, but if I can get the thrive better, will be happy. 😉
    Toshiba Thrive

Samsung Galaxy S5

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    [QUOTE=nonie;189357]Thanks, Panda. I go in apps and clean cache every so often. But that's not enough.
    Also, get lots of "launcher" and other apps, "not responding".
    Ready to try something.
    I was surprised any one answered, since thrive is so old. 😉
    But I'm at the point gonna try something, as just not working good.

Panda, I download app, think I cleaned it, lol will try for few days to see if helps.

What causes it to just go off and reboot by its self?

Thanks again for responding and trying to help.
    Toshiba Thrive

Samsung Galaxy S5

Remove Ads

Ads