• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Newby

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Newby

Four years ago I was given this tablet and have sort of used it. I would like to use it more now and have wondered if there are updates or upgrades for it and if it is a "Thrive".

Toshiba AT 105/32 GB
    Android version 3.2.1.215.0009
    Kernel 2.6.36.3-00020-g98cfb64
    Product version PDA01u-00701F

Thanks.
    Last edited by panda; 10-23-2015 at 05:07 AM. Reason: (no need to give us a serial number :))

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Hi pipercub, welcome to the forum. Toshiba's last release for the Thrive was ICS 4.0.4, which you should be able to download and install automatically. It tends not to go very well on Thrives, though, and is prone to crashes and lag. If you want to upgrade to ICS, most of us would recommend dalepl's version. It's based on Toshiba's and looks and acts like stock, but he made it much more stable and also allows for uninstalling pre-installed Toshiba stuff.

If you're feeling adventurous, Pio_masaki was able to port Jelly Bean 4.1 into a few versions. I've been using Shinka B25 for almost a few years now and really like it, which isn't necessarily faster than dalepl's ICS, but it feels smoother in page-flipping animation because of how Jelly Bean ROMs use the GPU for drawing the home screen. Other people like Black Bean or Exulted Elephant, which are also great choices.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the reply.

So I went to the app "service station" tapped and then tapped on "check for updates". I get message "no software updates available".

At the top of the screen I get this

application version 1.1.15
    Android version 3.2.1.21.5.0009
    model toshiba AT105
    part number PDAo1U-00701F
    serial number ZB145591R

I am assuming there was no upgrade.

What is an "ICS" anyway?

How would I download dalepl?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    You're running Honeycomb, which is what Thrives shipped with. It sounds like Toshiba's update service isn't running anymore, which is just as well. Your main updates are going to come from the Google Play Store anyway, and if you want to upgrade Android itself, you're better off flashing dalepl's version of ICS, Android 4.0.4.

These tools will erase everything on your Thrive, so be very careful you want to do this. Make sure you've first backed up any data you want to keep, and read all the instructions carefully before proceeding.

The first tool will "unlock" the Thrive's bootloader, "root" the system, and install what's called a custom recovery. This allows you to flash a new ROM and do other things.

[Tool] DaleNet Thrive Univeral Easy Flash Tool

Then here is dalepl's ICS, taken from Toshiba's version so it's basically the same, but it's stabilized with lots of improvements. For one thing, you can uninstall certain bloatware that Toshiba pre-installed on Thrives.

[ROM] DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the reply!

When trying to install apps I get this message "Error retrieving information from server. RPC:S-7 4MWB-NWj3-WCLXO."

I'm not concerned about saving any information on the tablet. I do not have a "sim" card. What are they and which one do I need? Also in the second video I am told to plug in the power cord and also a mini USB cord. Where do I plug in the USB cord on the tablet? This process sounds a bit intimidating but I am willing to try it.

Thanks!

Remove Ads

Ads