• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thrive Newb AT100 32GB Android 4.2.1 Cyanogen

I am the new-to-me owner of a secondhand (from ebay) but spotless AT100 that was advertised as 32 GB, and, from looking in settings, is running Android 4.2.1 apparently under CyanogenMod.

I am not new to Android- I have had a MotoX (Republic Wireless) phone since October 2013 and have been very pleased with Android in that capacity (like Android a lot better than iOS that I had on my prior iPhone 3GS).

But I am entirely new to tablets of any kind, and I really do not have any familiarity or insights into what CynanogenMod is.

When I try to look under the "storage" part of Settings, I get a message "unfortunately Settings has stopped" - and that shuts settings and drops me back to the home page- but I would like to verify that this Thrive has the 32 GB that was represented as part of the terms of the sale.

I would also like to know how to verify that this is a "clean machine" without any malware or spyware or other adverse stuff before I begin to use it for things that may include online purchases, online banking, or things of that sort.

Please do feel entirely free to point me to pertinent FAQ or prior threads; I have looked around here but am so new to this that I do not have a lot of familiarity with where to start or how to frame questions for searches with the search function.

Thanks in advance!

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    See About CynanogenMod.

Since the Settings app is crashing & you are concerned about malware:

Try a Factory Reset. Since this is a modded tablet (not running standard factory firmware), the following process may be slightly different on your device.

Go into Recovery (after powering down, hold the Volume + and Power Button -- Use Volume rocker to navigate & Power button to select)

Select the large icon with the open box and arrow (don't panic when you see the Andy Android down for the count)

Factory Reset/Restore

Reboot

This should "clean" the device of any user installed apps and data. If you are still concerned about malware, you can install a security app such as Avast Mobile Security and run a full system scan.

The other alternative would be to flash a new ROM (firmware). There are quite a few choices here in the Toshiba THRIVE ROMs section (in particular dalepl or pio_masaki ROMs).
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Remove Ads

Ads