• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DoubleDAZ
  • 1 Post By rosalie
  • 1 Post By pio_masaki

Thread: On Dale or wait on the new ICS root ?

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

On Dale or wait on the new ICS root ?

Hi all, two part post here. Yes I feel I did search everywhere first but I am confused. It looks like you guys are diligently working on a root for ICS 4.0.4 OTA. I am not looking for an ETA. Just wondering if I am reading this right. It's either wait for that to come out or on Delepl to get my it's thrive rooted right? Second part, I got my thrive from aarons, (dumb I know), but I haven't seen anyone talk about the rental software in it. There are pending lawsuits right now about how employees were accessing the cameras and spying on the customers. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd like to get my thrive rooted and get rid of this rental hidden software. Thanks in advance.

Matt
    Last edited by Auzreal; 01-03-2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Up to you if you want to wait an indetermined amount of time, maybe never, for the ICS root to work, or pm Dalepl now, and get get in line to get it rooted. Once he rolls it back, that software that may or may not be spying on you will be completely gone anyways, negating the second question. I seriously doubt that there is any hidden apps capable of accessing your information and sending it out without root access anyways. Now, once you return it, they can just go through it all they want.

This brings me to a slightly ethical issue, though, as it's a rental, you have no real right to modify this tablet in any way shape or form, including rooting, and especially having it nvflashed back to HC and then putting a modified ROM on it. That's like renting a car, removing the engine, putting in a nascar V8 motor, then returning it. Just my point of view, please do as you wish. Just remember to put it back to stock when its due for return.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times

Re: On Dale or wait on the new ICS root ?

Good answer, Pio. Pretty much what I was writing before I saw that you'd already done it.
    Legally, I might add, your contract might state that such modifications might put you in violation of your agreement with them.
    Once you own it outright, it's your ball game. Until you make the final rent-to-own payment (if that was your contract) you'd be smart to leave as is.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks! Yes it's paid for. I just don't want that junk in there. There are 2 or 3 different companies that made and installed this software. Idk if it's even on mine. Just noticed that I didn't see anyone talking about it. I'll try to find the links. I read thier instructions to administrators wich read that you had to run a special wand to kill the software? Anyway, ill get in line for the backdate. Thanks

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times

Quote Originally Posted by Auzreal View Post
    I'm pretty sure all that is PC-based computers, not Android tablets. Either way, once you root and install a new ROM, anything that was on the tablet will be gone. You need to save any personal files you want to keep because they will be gone too.

Cheers, Dave
    danvee likes this.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Twitter
    @smalltownlife
    Welcome aboard Matt!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Welcome to Thrive Forums, Matt!
    Auzreal likes this.
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thank you all. I am chompin' at the bit to crack this baby open! I already use my thrive as an auto scanner. I am a mechanic, and love bluetoothing this baby in my shop!

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

Ah well if its paid free and clear, give dalepl a pm and have it rolled back then you can root and mess with it all you want!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Auzreal likes this.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Remove Ads

Ads